cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem sending email with pdf attachment

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I'm trying to email a 5MB PDF file but can't do it. I keep getting a "timed out" message (probably a generic error from Thunderbird).

What is the file size limit on rogers email.and considering I'm paying for it..why??

***Edited labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: problem sending email with pdf attachment

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I fortunately had access to my companies Telus email and was able to send it through that.

So..what's up with Rogers??

The mail limit with rogers email, is 5mb.

I have sucessfully sent up to an 9.x mb file with no issues before.. both from stand alone clients (outlook, iphone, etc) without issue.
That being said, i have not done it recently.

Best thing i can say, just to see if its server side or client side.
Try another web software (outlook, windows mail, etc) just to see if it will send from there.. try the webmail, etc.

I know thunderbird sometimes will lock a rogers/yahoo account when DOWNLOADING, as it seems to try and open multiple threads for downloading (which yes would be faster), but its viewed as more of a 'hack' attempt, and temp locks the account.  Could be something similar happening when sending.

What outgoing mail server do you have?
And on what type of internet?

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

For mail I'm using Thunderbird and internet is through a Rocket HUB.

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

The mail limit with rogers email, is 5mb.

I believe the file size is now 25 MB.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_CA&id=SLN3408

You can also use Dropbox to send larger files.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_CA&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&page=content&id=SLN7077

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Whoops, was a typo by me should have said 10mb... But looks like frazzled may be correct 🙂

I usually keep it to 10mb due to the other end may have different restrictions.

Now... I am not the expert on the rocket hub.. But the regular email servers SHOULD work fine.
One thing I did see recently was on the support page they say for iPhone it recommends for outgoing to use

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com.

Instead of the normal smtp server. Since the rocket hub is a mobile/cellular, it might work better? Worth a try.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation