possible issue with 8642 and On Demand

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

possible issue with 8642 and On Demand

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else:  We were using the 8642 HDPVR, and along with many problems caused by the transfer from Scarlett Rd. PHUB to Dupont, we were having an issue with the box freezing when we were watching On Demand programming.  If we stopped the video and chose Exit and Save, we would lose all of our channels.  The title bar and the IPG would still load but no programming.  We would have to re-boot the box to get our channels back.  It didn't do it every single time, but I would say about 3 out of 5 times.  It also occasionally happened when pressing other buttons, such as rewind, but it was mostly the Exit and Save function that caused the problem.  The tech said that this particular problem had to be a software issue with the box, and not just that individual box, because it happened on 3 different boxes of that model.  I switched the 8642 for an 8300, and that problem hasn't recurred.  Of course now we're having a whole new problem - it never ends!

***Edited labels***

I've Been Around

Re: possible issue with 8642 and On Demand

I've had the same problem today.  Yesterday the same happened but when playing back a recorded show!  

Strange. 

I suppose rogers will not answer this issue though.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Don't hold your breath for help from Rogers.  I had two supposedly "senior" techs here who couldn't figure out the problem, and kept suggesting that I connect my HD tv to the PVR with component cables instead of HDMI cable, as if that would help!  It was laughable really.  Then when I demonstrated that the box did this even when connected with component cables, they were stymied.  It was finally an outside network tech who was kind enough to come into my home, although not his job, and admitted that it had to be a software issue with the 8642.  But I'm sure if you report this, Rogers will insist it has never happened before.  Sorry, I am just beyond frustrated by Rogers' lack of competent tech support.  If the problem continues, I'd suggest trying the 8300 instead.

I'm Here A Lot

Last night tried to view On Demand with my 8642 and the whole screen went black and had to unplug the box and re-boot.  Didn't bother trying again - my blood pressure was high enough!! 

I've Been Around

Hmm,

Had the 8642 a couple months, never tried on-demand until this weekend, "epic fail".

Mostly it coughs up errors about "cannot access" when I try to start the movie, and I did see the screen go blank / not even other channels working (except for the bar at the bottom).  To be able to watch TV I had to power reset/ reboot.  Tried the cycle 3 times and gave up on on-demand for now..

Wow wonder how common a problem it is, no Rogers responses here??

I Plan to Stick Around

i don't normally use ROD, but i tried reproducing this error but it didn't come up.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have this issue on ROD with my cisco pvr.. I've since stopped trying.
I've Been Around

I have the same problem on two boxes. Best I get from rogers is the box is at fault not the cable service. Seems to me rogers should care because at the moment I am not able to spend money at On Demand
I'm Here A Lot

i've had this problem since june.  had techs, engineers, maintenance guys etc.  they admit there is a problem and say they are getting closer to a solution but i have little faith in them at this point.  i only bother to try ROD when the tech calls once a week to check on the problem.  otherwise, i can't be bothered.  about every 5 times i access it i can actually watch a show, but only if i don't pause, or fast forward, or touch the remote, or sneeze, or leave the room.  so basically ROD is holding me hostage.  i bought my box, so i can't just trade it.  i'm on my third box, have all new wiring inside my house, a new box on my house and new wiring from my house out to the street.  still no ROD.  you have to keep complaining to them.  for about 4 months they insisted i was the only person.  now that there are others on line complaining about it, it's harder for them to ignore.  seems to be only with the 8642 box.  i see other folks traded out for 8300 and that solved the problem for them. 

fed. up.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Having the same issues with the new pvr and Rod and it is consistent and can be replicated with ease. Still no resolutions with Rogers, which is laughable considering how long this has been an issue. Look when the first post was identifying this issue. Trust me most people haven't even bothered to complain because support is always blaming the user, or the connections to the tv. They prey on non knowledgeable clientele to be unable to diagnose issues so they get away with blaming the user. Can crash the system consistently with the same sequence of steps and yet they won't admit the new pvr has a software issue. Pathetic. But they are raising our rates again because they have "improved" there systems. Oh and capped our bandwidth. Perfect business model Rogers, reminds me of the negative billing fiasco.