port forwarding for both xboxs that use same ports?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

port forwarding for both xboxs that use same ports?

The other router used to have you could put same ports for different ip's. is this possible with this one? can't seem to make it work?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: port forwarding for both xboxs that use same ports?

using that Hitron router

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the other router did allow it.. it SHOULDNT have.

Almost every router out there, both rogers, and 3rd party ones, will NOT allow you to do that.

It CANT and SHOULDNT.

If a reply comes back from somewhere, and is trying to access that port, to send a specific reply to something to machine A.
When it gets to the firewall.. It wouldn not know weither to send it to A or B.. it would then send to BOTH, and B would be getting something it didnt want/need.

Best bet, if you have TWO devices.. would be to put one in the DMZ (outside the firewall), then try the other one port forwarded.

I Plan to Stick Around

Depending on you have the rules configured you could indeed have 2 internal IPs using the same port. State tables will keep track of what internal IP is talking with what external IP so when the reply comes back it knows how to handle the packet. Think of all your internal PC's connecting out port 80 to the internet...it works perfectly getting all the inbound packets sent to the proper internal IPs. You should be able to create a firewall rule to allow a specific port access to multiple IPs, subnets etc. Perhaps not on the Hitron.

Saying that Xbox live is a different animal. If you are using UPNP it can create the port mappings on its own but UPNP is not very secure so not recommended. Many older third party routers have UPNP enabled by default as well so perhaps that is why it was working in the past.

Many third party routers will work fine due to the way they due NAT'ing but the Rogers Gateway does not seem to handle complex NAT's very well. Many third party devices are linux based using IPtables that seems to handle the Xbox live traffic better. BSD's pf does not handle it well though. I am not sure what OS is behind the scenes on the Hitrons.

Bottom line is bridge the Hitron and use a third party router and you should be able to accomplish what you need.

I Plan to Stick Around

yep every other router modem i used with rogers worked fine. this one is weird. UPnp is enebled. something weird is going on.

I Plan to Stick Around

some routers did have to put a differnt ip but putting the same port would work if the ips were different.

I Like it Here

Is it possible on this router to open ports to two local IP;s.?

I.m trying to have various ports open for both an Xbox 360 as well as an Xbox One. The same ports have to be open for both. When I try to open the same port for the second local IP, the router tells me it's duplicate. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On any of the rogers gateways... and before we go blaming just the rogers equipment, even a lot of the LOWER 3rd party routers.. DONT have the right setups/routing options, to be able to forward the same ports to two different IPs.

Some of the higher end 3rd party ones, are able to do so. They have special routing statements in them when you set it up, to know who made the request and then to put the apropriate answer repsonce back to the right internal IP.

BEST solution, outside of getting a higher end 3rd party router.. woudld be to put ONE of them in the DMZ (outside the firewall/rules)... then one internally, with the correct forwarded ports.