online gaming lags

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: online gaming lags

Right now I am testing it out but due to people using the wireless I can't disconnect the router instead I have put my Xbox into the back of the modem port well in bridge mode and Rogers was perfect for me up until 2013 that's when the issues start.. constant disconnects I tried every modem but DPC3825 ended up being the best option

Also I bought the Dlink 868l just last year and it's been good all with the firmware updated to the most recent and yes I had this router with the CGN also

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the Hitron modems you can apparently get two IP addresses from the modem when its operating in Bridge mode, which would allow you to connect the D-Link and Xbox directly to the modem at the same time.  I don't know if two IP addresses are available from the 3825 when its in Bridge mode.  If your 3825 is in Bridge mode and your running the Xbox on a direct connection to the modem, then yup, same thing applies.  Can you confirm that just so I know that it can be done?  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink it made a little difference which was odd my ping was higher on the servers usually with the router its 32-42 but with this set up it was 42-45 and yes it assigned a new IP to the Xbox.. I am going to play a few more games like this to see if it continues to work smooth but is this safe or not? and the odd part is with the router I have all the right ports forwarded and with this way my nat isn't open and its working better? how is this possible

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you using QOS on the router by chance?  I wouldn't leave it in that configuration, but that's me being a little paranoid about leaving devices unprotected by a hardware firewall.  I don't know how good the Xbox firewall is, or even if it has one, which is why I don't recommend leaving it connected directly.

The question is, is there a noticeable decrease in the observed lag.  If so, I would look at all of the router settings to see which might be chewing up CPU time, and therefore causing lag.  QOS, traffic monitoring and any other function that requires the router processor to do something to or with the data can reduce the througput and lag.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not sure about the firewall for the Xbox either and no the only thing I have set up for my router is DHCP reservation so my xbox has a one IP assigned and the proper ports forwarded and from what I can see the router does have QOS but I have no experience  on how to set that up

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is some food for thought, and something to look for.  The D-Link uses Broadcom's BCM4708X CPU.  The Asus RT-AC68U, which I have uses the Broadcom BCM4708A CPU.  The Asus firmware contains a Hardware Acceleration setting, which is really a bad name for Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF).  This is a fast path through the router, forwarding at the chip level, and as far as I know, it is incompatible with QOS, Traffic Monitoring and any other function that requires the CPU to do anything to or with the data.  Now, just to mention this, I've seen recent reports that QOS is now compatible with the Cut Through Forwarding in recent Firmware updates.  I haven't tested this yet, but its on my list of things to do as I don't use QOS, Traffic Monitoring or any other function.  This CTF does make a considerable positive difference in the data throughput, and I wonder if D-Link is taking advantage of this at all?  Maybe not??  If not, I can see that making a difference, especially at data rates of 100Mb/s and above.  Is there any setting in the 868L firmware for this?  The 868L is no slouch on the wired side in terms of its routing performance, here's a couple reviews for comparison's sake:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32110-d-link-dir-868l-wireless-ac1750-dual-...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asu...

Having said that, if you now have the situation where there is noticeable lag with the D-Link in the path, and no, or greatly reduced lag without the router, then clearly the router is not acting in your favour, and that could be anything from a setting, up to and including the possibility that the router just isn't delivering the performance that you need.  Its all load dependant, which is why a test with everything else disconnected from the router except for the Xbox, and wifi disabled, might produce an interesting result.

Ok, more food for thought.  Looking at the A version users manual page 79, the QOS is enabled by default.  There is an entry in the ADVANCED....QOS ENGINE page that you have to fill in for the ISP Uplink and Downlink speed.  If those rates are not set right, your throughput will suffer, unless maybe they are set high enough already.  My first thought is to disable the QOS and see what happens.  This will reduce the CPU load and maybe get the throughput data rates back up and kill the lag.  The next test would be to enable the QOS, fill in the Uplink and Downlink rates, change the Queue Weights, set the classification rules for the game, and see what happens to your throughput.  In both cases I would run speedtests and a couple Xbox test sessions to see how the lag on the Xbox turns out.

D-Link support for the router

http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-868L

ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/PRODUCTS/DIR-868L/DIR-868L_MANUAL_1.00_EN.PDF

Running a quick scan through the manual, there are no entries for "acceleration" or "CTF".  Maybe its the same situation as Netgear routers, which use the same 47XX CPU.  I believe in that case that CTF is on, but is kicked off by some of the functions.  There is no enable / disable switch.   You just have to know that its there, and that it can be disabled.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow this is great information I also did look through the router settings and couldn't find that option but thank you Datalink for all the information and yes I checked the QOS it was disabled I just enabled it now and put in the proper settings after reading a fourm to the microsoft servers so far after 2 games things does seem smoother... So this CTF is enabled by default? we just have to assume it is and something odd has happened my speed tests on the Xbox use to be 120mb with the 10 upload now its showing

Download: 43.59MB

Upload: 9.45mb

Latency: 94ms {usually 80ms}

MTU: 1480 

The odd part is yes I did put in the right settings for the download and upload which is 100mb download 10upload not sure why the full speed isn't coming through even put my Xbox in port 1 until it weighs the importance by ports 1-4 and about the wireless off test I can give that a shot tomorrow night with nothing connected to the router and see if that makes a difference

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, so far ive ported it and i downloaded the port checker says all ports ive added are open. Ill give it a try later on today and see how it goes.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ToorEm, that's an interesting result. I was thinking that ok, the QOS was probably on, and that you would be able to disable it.  In any event, the results make sense due to the CPU time that the QOS function chews thru, and that is the conundrum that users face when it comes to data rates at or above 100 Mb/s and QOS. Yep, you can use the QOS to prioritize the data so that one application in particular might run faster, but the cost to this is a reduced data throughput for everything:

No QOS: 128.46 Mb/s down, 10.9 Mb/s up
With QOS: 43.9 Mb/s down, 9.45 Mb/s up via XBox speedtest (?)

I suspect that leaving the QOS on to see reduced lag on the Xbox might lead to a family revolt if the unintended consequence leaves everything else running slower. When you are able to test the router with the Xbox only, try testing it with the QOS enabled and then disabled. I would change the QOS download/upload numbers to match what you see when its not enabled, so that there isn't any unintended limitation imposed. With just the Xbox connected to the router, when you think about it, that's the only traffic passing thru the router, therefore, QOS should not be required. It will give you a good idea, between QOS enabled and disabled as to what the throughput effect is. In the case of the RT-AC68U, with the QOS disabled, running a speedtest from the Rogers site, I see 328 mb/s down, 22 Mb/s up on a 250/20 mb/s plan. With the QOS enabled, I see 240 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up from what I remember of the speedtest results. The end result, the QOS stays off.

One other thing that you could do is check the router settings, page by page and if there are items that are enabled but not used, disable them.  The RT-AC68U for example can run several functions, including USB support for wireless modem support, Media Services and Servers, Printer Server services, Adaptive QOS, Traffic Monitoring, etc, etc, etc, each of which require CPU time. I've turned everything off, page by page. If and when they're ever needed, I'll re-enable them. I'm not familiar with the 868L, but I suspect that it might be worth a tour thru the pages, just to see what's enabled and disabled.

Does the 868L use Cut Through forwarding? Good question. I haven't seen anything that supports the theory, but it would make sense given that the Broadcom CPU is used. That's a question to pose on the D-Link Forum or, send a query to D-Link tech support and see what they say. Look around and see if you can find any references on the internet as well. At the end of the day, given your testing with direct connections to the modem and router, you might come to the conclusion that the router just doesn't cut it, no matter how its set to run, and that maybe you need to see if there are other routers available that have better performance.  It might come down to a matter of how well the D-Link firmware is written compared to other router's firmware and how efficiently the firmware is processed by the CPU.   More food for thought......

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

this is correct? [img]http://i.imgur.com/khWeRwe.jpg[/img]