old school cable still possible?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

old school cable still possible?

Hi, 

I have a digital basic plan with a fancy box. My friend in Ottawa has the same thing, but she can also plug one of her TVs right into the wall and get the old channels, like 2 through 70 or something, including A&E, CNN, Comedy, etc... C

I'm in London ON, can I get this somehow also? I plug mine into the wall and i get nothing.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: old school cable still possible?

Yes.. and no.

Analog cable.. DOES still exist on the rogers network... SOMEWHAT.

Plugging into the wall, assuming the TV has an analog tuner in it.. you should be able to get SOME channels.
A good portion of the analog channels are GONE now... and only channels 1-30.. with only a few above that, still available.

Doing this via ANALOG, you will also only get SD versions of the channels.  (Vs you may get HD versions if your digital box is an HD one)

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, I plugged my newer tv right into the wall and it picks up 1 to 30 or so, then some fuzzy channels like showcase and bravo, then some radio channels.

But for my old TV that gets no signal, where can I get a free adapter box, those digital tuners for rogers?

I'm a Senior Advisor

In the Woodstock area I can get about half the channels between 2 and 97 on analog, mainly the lower ones.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, but where can I get a free converter box for the basic channels 1-30?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I got mine from the local Rogers Store and I understand you can call Rogers and they will send you one. You are can get a free DTA for each outlet that you are legitimately entitled to.

I'm a Senior Advisor

When Rogers began switching to digital, there was a not at the bottom of your bill to call and order a digital adapter. I called and just ended picking them up at the Rogers store. They will need your account number and I.D.

They're called "free" but on the website they're described as "free rental", so technically Rogers still owns them.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Call rogers customer service and ask for the digital box, its free, but don't lose it as they'll charge you a fair bit for it.

I have one, just never used it, but from speaking to a tech a while back, I don't think they get all upper channels that are included in the Digital package.  I know I ended up renting a standard digital box which allows you to use Rogers on Demand, the guide and all the useless upper channels they fatten their packages with.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, the DTA only does channel 1-60 odd range (plus a few extras high up like the loby channels, etc)

The box doesnt have twoway communications, so cant do stuff like RoD... it doesnt have the guide, etc.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation