cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

number of rings

elliesinn
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Samsung GT-B5310R.  Is there anyway I can set it to ring more than 4 times before going to voice mail?

******* Edit labels ********

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: number of rings

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry its not possible

The number of rings before the voicemail picked up is set by the switch and its fixed to 20 seconds / 4 rings.

cant be adjusted by your handset, sorry

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry its not possible

The number of rings before the voicemail picked up is set by the switch and its fixed to 20 seconds / 4 rings.

cant be adjusted by your handset, sorry

BillJ
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The number of rings (or more specifically the amount of time your phone rings before going to voicemail) cannot be controlled by you, as Pauly correctly stated, but it can be controlled by Rogers.  Most carriers, including Rogers, will allow a ringtone to be active for up to 30 seconds.  Unfortunately, the default time limit is usually set to 15 seconds.

No problem, just call Rogers and ask them to extend your ringtone time to 30 seconds.  🙂

elliesinn
I've Been Here Awhile

I went into my local Rogers store today and they were not able to help me.  I guess I will try the phone option.  I sometimes need more than 30 seconds to answer my phone.  Especially when I left it in my jacket and I can hear it, but I can't find it fast enough.

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I can confirm that even if you call in to Rogers, the time/amount of rings cannot be changed. As mentioned it is a set time period that cannot be increased.

Cheers!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
It can not be changed, DCF=20 is permanently set in the switch, CSRs can not change this, they would not even know how.

BillJ
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I concede on this point.  I knew it was a network-controlled feature as opposed to being in the user's control but apparently it cannot be changed, even by the network (Rogers) itself.  In response to my inquiry, Rogers had this to say:

"The amount of time before a call is routed to voicemail is standardized and cannot be changed on our
network. It is a network dependant feature, and is the same for every device."
Seems weird to me but I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong.  😉

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah unfortunately, i wish it could be changed.. i would set DCF=30 if I could.

sbssrc
I've Been Here Awhile

other networks allow you to change the time (rings) setting - solution is to switch from rogers - three rings is not long enough.

sbssrc
I've Been Here Awhile

Thereis a widely posted solution *61*1....................................*11*numsec# that apparentyl works for other carriers.

So I was wondering if this was just a Rogers restriction?

chard62
I've Been Around

I can't understand why people writing software for the cell system won't allow users to choose the number of rings before voicemail cuts in. It makes about as much sense as not letting you use your own name on your account 😞  How can this be acceptable when many people (myself included) have difficulty picking up the phone, then answering it in 20 seconds or less?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hello, the Rogers Network "IS CAPABLE" of this, but the engineers have chosen to use a script to enable voicemail which is not compatible with this code. they can easily change it, heck i can give them the script to use, but they wont, as to why? i have no idea maybe Social Media reps can chime in since they have more inside info than a non-employee such as myself.

SusanS
I've Been Around

Other networks allow users to key in a code to change the number of rings. Rogers needs to do the same. I don't have a landline and I'm always running and missing calls if the phones not in the same room with me. It's ridiculous.

HishamH
I've Been Around

Try this, it working for me: 

Enter *94 . After 3 beeps, enter the number of times you want the phone to

ring before taking messages (0 to 9).

Unlucky
I've Been Around

Just got done emailing the support staff and they stated they can't help me the *94 solution doesn't work for me and when I mentioned it to the staff they typed back that it was impossible to change the number of rings prior to voicemail on any cell phone.  Just wondering if we could start a petition to get this option available (it sure would be nice for me to get a couple extra rings).  Seems kind of wierd to me to limit this feature.

tulbox
I've Been Around

Baffling! Just being sent over to tech support with Rogers and...verified that as of 2014-08-01 still can't do this on Rogers. It's "network defined" at 20 seconds. 

User261
I've Been Here Awhile

I would like controlling voice mail rings added to Rogers cell phones.  It is pathetic that we should even have to ask.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Fido used to let it's customers change the # of rings before vm picked up but after being purchased by big brother red (rogers) they now set it to 4 rings just like rogers does. They must share the same switch or something

DougPritchard
I've Been Around

This is REALLY inconvenient. As you other carriers allow this option. Why not Rogers?

i just sent a complaint to rogers. you can do so by filling out this forum. Hopefully they'll see enough of these to help us increase the number of rings.
absolutely ridiculous!

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=contactUsShareAConcern

jampat
I've Been Around

@miffy wrote:
i just sent a complaint to rogers. you can do so by filling out this forum. Hopefully they'll see enough of these to help us increase the number of rings.
absolutely ridiculous!

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=contactUsShareAConcern

I know this is an old thread. Rogers policy is still the same.  Thank you for the link, I sent in a complaint about this.  Hopefully people keep complaining and they fix this.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 14 in conversation