nokia lumia

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

nokia lumia

I just bought the nokia 710 lumia and the rogers rep said that gps is suppose to be built in.  But it tells me I need a WiFi connection to download maps.  Grrrr.... Where do I go to download..I only bought this phone because I was told gps was built in.   I need a tutorial for  lumia for dummies, I can't figure out what I need to download first just to get at the maps download.

I do have a windows 7 computer.  The rogers website says they carry the phone but no actual tech help on how to..

thanks for your time

******* Edit labels ********

I've Been Around

Re: nokia lumia

Congrats with your new phone. 

I do not have the Lumia 710, but I do have a Samsung Focus (another Windows Phone that Rogers used to carry) but I have played around with a Lumia 710 for a while when I helped my friend set hers up so let me try and walk you through it through my memories.  Let me know if anything does not make sense!

1.  First (if you haven't done this already), you would need to set up the WiFi connection from your phone to your home/work wireless network.  You can do this by accessing Settings -> Wi-Fi, then turn Wi-Fi networking on.  After that, connect to your network if you have not already.

2.  I remember reading somewhere that Nokia recently (just yesterday actually!) updated their GPS application called Nokia Drive.  After this new update, the GPS routing engine does not require you to have data or wifi connection to calculate routes, making it a true offline gps.  If you haven't downloaded the updated version, I suggest accessing the Marketplace and see if you see there are any updates to your apps.  You can do so by looking for "X updates" near the bottom right corner when you open up Marketplace.   Click that to see if there are updates avaliable to Nokia Drive and download it.

3.  Go into the "Nokia Drive" app.  Click the menu button (bottom right I think).  In the menu select Settings -> Manage Maps.  At the bottom, you will see a plus sign, hit that.  Select America as continent, then Canada as country and you can download maps from there.  You can choose to download maps for the whole country (which will take up a lot of storage) or only your own province.  After the maps are downloaded and installed, you are good to go!

Let me know if that helped you!

I Plan to Stick Around

I believe Nokia just released a new version of their Navigation software that supports offline maps

I've Been Here Awhile

Thankyou guys for responding, So if I don't have a router for wifi what do I do??  I am so lost at this kind of stuff.  I think I need to find a teenage neighbour to help me!

Am I suppose to download Nokia Suite first?  nokia website said i needed it to sync phone and computer?

I Plan to Stick Around

So here's how you get your update. 

1 - On your phone's home screen, tap the marketplace icon.

2 - Since you have Nokia Drive already installed, you should have an option at the bottom of the screen that will say "# updates".  Tap that.

3 - Update your applications to the latest and your Nokia Drive will be able to use offline maps

As far as the wifi goes, you can only get application that are under a certain size over the cell network.  If you need something bigger it needs to be over wifi.

Here's a FAQ from Microsoft on updating apps.   According to it, if you don't have WiFi, you can get and download apps from the Zune software.  It doesn't appear to cover updates though.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-US/howto/wp7/apps/download-apps-and-games-faq.aspx

You can usually get free wifi from restaurants or Starbucks even.

I've Been Here Awhile

success i downloaded the zune software but stil cant figure this out....I think going to a resturant with wifi is gonna be my next move....  I'll let you know if i get it right.

thanks again for all your time

I Plan to Stick Around

@peevedoff wrote:

success i downloaded the zune software but stil cant figure this out....I think going to a resturant with wifi is gonna be my next move....  I'll let you know if i get it right.

thanks again for all your time

It's pretty easy really, shouldn't even need zune software. once you go into the market, you should see an update for Nokia Drive. After you download the update, and start Nokia Drive, it will go through the setup, your location etc then it will download the MAP you select for your location to yoru phone. Of course you need a data or wifi connection to be able to access/download from the market.