no sound on secondary TV "please read notes totally before asking for more information"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

no sound on secondary TV "please read notes totally before asking for more information"

Here is me specific problem. I have one of your hd pvr boxes and have multiple set in the home The one in the front room is connected via hdmi the second one currently being used is connected via coax cable. I also use the main TV for PC browsing connected to a XP box. via RCA and VGA in. Okay so that's the hook up and I was told this would also work in  the home as long as I didn't care if the second TV had the same channel. Now here is the issue If I have the hdmi TV on and the second one on were all good no problem with the sound. If I turn off the main TV (hdmi) the TV with coax looses it's sound. Now if I unplug the hdmi from the main TV and cycle the hdbox sound will work , if I don't remove the hdmi cable from the main TV and set the source to PC which uses RCA cables and VGA and let the main TV go to sleep ( as there is no signal being generated from the  PC at the time) and the screen drops into black but the TV is still powered on I can get audio on the coax TV , if I turn off the main TV while sourced to PC the sound will drop in the other room ? It seems like the HD box wont release the audio signal  of the main TV is turned off ,you would think the Cisco box would know better >?? If this is too confusing i can do a flow chart or a image to help .Thanks in advance

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: no sound on secondary TV "please read notes totally before asking for more information&quot

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I have a similar setup downstairs.
I have a TV there, but also have an HD projector.  I wanted to be able to send the HDMI to the projector, but for just some basic viewing sometimes (for my 2 year old son) the old crt tv is easier, and wanted to do coax out from it for that.  For me, i didnt even want them both on at the same time.. just seperately.

But it doesnt work.. same thing as you.

Compared to say a VCR, which is has a PASSTHROUGH for the signal, etc.. the coax out, is just an output.

These boxes, dont like multiple outputs.. trust me, i have tried a few Smiley Tongue  even component and hdmi, component and coax, etc.. any time you have anything in the HDMI, it wont output audio out of the coax. 
Why? I dont know.. but it just doesnt work.

Now, the RCA auido out does work, as that was my workaround.  I have a walmart $50 surround sound down there, and just have it outputed from the rogers box to the surround sound, when using the TV.

Now.. what is it you are trying to do overall?  Just have that TV as a secondary output device for the PVR? To watch stuff there? Or just to be able to watch TV in general on it as well.
By running a line of its own, you could watch analog TV till its droped, or get a free DTA to watch the same stuff.

Its own rogers box, would allow it to tune on its own.

Playback from the PVR, would obviously be limited..  but if you obtained an HD box for the other TV, you can actualy have the whole home PVR activated in your household.  this would allow  you to tune to tv on both boxes, record stuff on the pvr, and do playback on either of the boxes.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: no sound on secondary TV "please read notes totally before asking for more information&

I was told I could do this when I agreed to their service .Ill  put up with it until April then they are gone its all a ploy.. Thanks anyways

I just want to be able to use the service as advertised I don't want to have to do anything else I should be able to watch TV in the second room with the main tv turned off but can't as explained

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: no sound on secondary TV "please read notes totally before asking for more information&

Most of the people who SELL these, are not fully technical, and dont realise that you cant do it.
Some of the older boxes you could.. but not the newer ones.

You are using the service as advertised though.  These boxes (even the old ones) are TECHNICALY designed to out put to ONE device... not two as you want to do.  Other that the person you spoke to, no where in any addvertisement setup info, etc say that it CAN output to two devices.

Its not a ploy.. most people who want to watch in two different rooms.. use two different boxes, are on analog (at least until its removed), etc.  Up until recently with the whole home PVR, if people wanted to record and watch in multiple rooms? They got two PVRs.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if an hdmi cable is connected, then likely the sound is routed through the main hdmi cable to the tv, there is some audio options in the settings have you played around with these yet? someting tells me you havent so try t hem out. also the way hdmi works is that it was designed in mind to have only one device connected so even if your using another output like component or coaxial rf, the hdmi must be unplugged so it would complete the circuit. you should unplug it when not using it, however if u dont want to do this, try connecting your tv with component and coaxial i know they should both work together at the same time

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: no sound on secondary TV "please read notes totally before asking for more information"

I can attest the settings won't make it work, I tried Smiley Happy

But that was my other idea. I the other tv has video input, run component or composite video, and your stereo audio cables. A little tougher for longer distances, but those will work at the same time, and I know 100% the stereo audio out works at the same time as the hdmi. Component would also give HD picture to the 2nd TV Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh so your ads that were out when this NextBox stating you can go from this room to that room and even the garage and still watch the same show .This tells me that It can .The CSR's should know all about the product they push on you We did when I was at a much larger company than Rogers i

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can do as that is advertised.

You need to have 1 PVR and (if i remember correctly) up to 4 HD boxes, on those other TVs.  Those HD boxes allow you to continue watching it on the other TV.
I have this at home, and use it regularily.  Start watching something and then go up to bed to finish watching it.