cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new sign in menu for on demand

lizardfoot
I've Been Around

i am very unhappy with the new on demand menu..please change it back! The font is extremely difficult to read. It doesn't list who the actors in the films upfront , and the navigation is not that intuitive. In a sentence, it looks like some kid made it. Very unprofessional looking- for all this money and frequent glitches, is it too much to ask to just leave something that does work alone?

***Edited labels***

24 REPLIES 24

Re: new sign in menu for on demand

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Which box is this on?
(I am guessing an sd box or an 8300, which uses the older guide)

This has been a complaint from a few people. I think what they had to change to allow these boxes access to shomi, changed the RoD stuff as well.

Unfortunately this is a user to user help forum so no. Of us can do anything 😞

Gdkitty:

Shomi was working fine on my 8300 before the new guide was implemented, so I don't see the connection. I agree with the OP about how awful the new guide is. In another thread, I said the graphics look like they were created with lego blocks.

My mistake.

I thought that the RoD guide change happened at the same time, not after the shomi release.

Used ROD last night and the crappy graphics problem has been fixed. They look normal now. I tried ROD on channel 309 and 300 and they both were fine.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I never saw any crappy graphics, just a new, unfamiliar menu we have to learn. Will someone point out what the improvements are?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

The improvement I see is there are fewer steps to find programs than before. It gives you a lot more options down the left side of the menu as soon as it comes up.

About the crappy graphics, I noticed my 8300 rebooted yesterday for the first time in ages. Yesterday was also when I noticed the improvement, so I would not be surprised if something was pushed to the box that fixed it.

olletram
I'm Here A Lot

I have to agree with OP's comments. What were you thinking rogers. Who decided that this menu was better?????!!!! Oh and in addition both HD and SD boxes are the same menu as well On-Demand and Shomi menus are both the same awfull look.

olletram:

What cable box do you have? Rogers fixed the crappy graphics on my 8300 a couple of days ago. Either the issue was specific to the 8300 or it's a global thing. I haven't seen anyone with a Nextbox comment on the new menu and whether or not it looks OK.

I have a Nextbox hd, 2 explorer 4290 and 1 3290 sd boxes. All have same crappy look. I am in Maple, Ontario not sure if that matters

the 4290 and 3290 are SD boxes in rogers system.. so they would be the same as the 8300.. and possibly the lower resolution one.

The Nextbox, assuming its on RTN.. should be completely different for the RoD though.. at least last time i compared them.

Been ages since i had an SD box on SARA tho 😛

ecar
I Plan to Stick Around

I still have the lego block look on my 8300HD.  Guelph, Dec 4th.

Im not sure if the other postser are alluding to another firmware push but mine still looks unappealing.

EC

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it is/was a push.. its not always done on the same day, they often do them in waves over the period of 1-2 weeks usually.

@Gdkitty wrote:

the 4290 and 3290 are SD boxes in rogers system.. so they would be the same as the 8300.. and possibly the lower resolution one.

The Nextbox, assuming its on RTN.. should be completely different for the RoD though.. at least last time i compared them.

Been ages since i had an SD box on SARA tho 😛

Sorry to say but we all don't have unlimited budgets. I pay for one Hd box and three Sd boxes, thanks but thats quite enough for me. And yes checked my Nextbox HD this morning and it is still "Lego Block" look as are all my other boxes. To top it off they say it is faster and more intuitive. Not sure about others, but they actually believe this is true.Smiley FrustratedSmiley Mad

does your nextbox have the same guide as your SD ones, or a different one?

Not saying you SHOULD switch, or  have to.. just saying that there is a difference betwen the SARA menu system and the RTN (the newer one).. in how the displays are.

i have the newer boxes with the newer guide.. and and it isnt lego blocky on the RoD.

But with the older ones, there ARE limitations sometimes due to the hardware/software on it.. it will never be as fancy as the newer ones.

@Gdkitty wrote:

does your nextbox have the same guide as your SD ones, or a different one?

Not saying you SHOULD switch, or  have to.. just saying that there is a difference betwen the SARA menu system and the RTN (the newer one).. in how the displays are.

i have the newer boxes with the newer guide.. and and it isnt lego blocky on the RoD.

But with the older ones, there ARE limitations sometimes due to the hardware/software on it.. it will never be as fancy as the newer ones.

Sorry not that tech savvy enough. What is SARA vs. RTN. I just got these boxes 4 months ago. And yes all my boxes have the same guide. You can't honestly say you prefer this new guide to the one which was used maybe as little as two weeks ago do you? Oh well I guess I am in the minority.Smiley Frustrated

olletram
I'm Here A Lot

@lizardfoot wrote:

i am very unhappy with the new on demand menu..please change it back! The font is extremely difficult to read. It doesn't list who the actors in the films upfront , and the navigation is not that intuitive. In a sentence, it looks like some kid made it. Very unprofessional looking- for all this money and frequent glitches, is it too much to ask to just leave something that does work alone?

Maybe GdKitty will get this better. Along with everthing I have said, lizardfoot has summed it up perfectly.

well its not like i have control over it 😛

As for your boxes.. that all 3 of your boxes have the same guide/menu... they SHOULDNT.

The two SD should.. its the SARA... the basic original guide.. the i think its beigeish color background on the boxes in the guide, the TV picture top right corner, the text it a little blocky overall.. (very low rez, you can see the pixels easily in the text, etc)?

The nextbox.. SHOULDNT have that one.  It should be on the newer RTN..
This one, has a HD menu on it... and the RoD menu's, etc.. are all in an HD and different format.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@olletram wrote:

Sorry not that tech savvy enough. What is SARA vs. RTN. I just got these boxes 4 months ago. And yes all my boxes have the same guide. You can't honestly say you prefer this new guide to the one which was used maybe as little as two weeks ago do you? Oh well I guess I am in the minority.Smiley Frustrated

I've had an 8300SD PVR for about 5 years and got an 8300HD PVR about a year ago. These use what is known as the SARA interface. The Recorded List, Guide and RoD menus are 4:3 and look very similar in SD and HD. Maybe a couple of years ago Rogers gave customers the option of "upgrading" to HD 16:9 interfaces which I believe was RTN. If they didn't like it, they could revert back to the old interface, but that was a limited time option. At least that's how I understood it. I still have the 4:3 menus on both the SD and HD boxes.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

First off I must apologize to you kitty the HD and SD boxes menus are a little different, but not the font and font size. They both begin with that awful font from when you select the on-demand button or go to channel 300 for shomi on SD box. That annoying "Loading please wait" at least before it was more pleasing to look at. And I also find that it is considerably slower? Then the text on further menus is all the same blocky and small. And I do understand  that you have nothing to do with it but why are you defending this change so Strongly.

I finally realized smething and lets see if I can relate this properly. Before both On-Demand and Shomi menus on SD boxes (atleast) used to resemble the fonts and size on the Guide and Settings menus but not anymore. Oh well nuff said.Smiley Sad

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 in conversation