network cable question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

network cable question

Could someone please explain to me in laymens terms what the difference or more importantly the best cables to use for modem to router or modem to computer, I read about cat5 , cat6 etc, but don't really understand the difference. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: network cable question

Really, comes down to the grade of wire used in them, and the configuration of the wiring.

While in some cases, cat5 cable can SOMETIMES get gigabit, it often doesnt.

Cat5e, is designed to support up to gigabit speeds.

Cat6 can support even up to HIGHER (with the right other equipment)

So in the end, you would want to look at getting a cat5e or cat6... DONT buy a cat5

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really, comes down to the grade of wire used in them, and the configuration of the wiring.

While in some cases, cat5 cable can SOMETIMES get gigabit, it often doesnt.

Cat5e, is designed to support up to gigabit speeds.

Cat6 can support even up to HIGHER (with the right other equipment)

So in the end, you would want to look at getting a cat5e or cat6... DONT buy a cat5

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thank you gdkitty

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are also physical differences in the construction of the cable itself beyond different wire grades, and, the connectors used on Cat 6 cables are very efficient compared to Cat 5e connectors.  Overall, the Cat 6 cable is simply a better built cable compared to its Cat 5e cousin.  The end result is lower electrical losses through the cable and its connectors and overall, better electrical performance.

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks Datalink