cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbox 2 remote appears locked

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around

I was trying to access the volume control on the box via remote and now i cant get to the menu i cant change channels or volume is there a way to reset this totally ??? Thanks in advance

***Edited labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: netbox 2 remote appears locked

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
First try pressing the white CBL button on your remote to see if that fixes the problem. It should blink red when you hit it. If it does not, change the batteries.
Second, if that doesn't fix the problem, just reboot the box by unplugging it for a few seconds. Let it reboot and don't touch it until the red "loading" bar on the bottom of the TV screen goes away.

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks but that did not fix the remote issue Ive tried another set of batteries but stil no change almost like the remote is not responding or as I posted "locked" I can change channels from the fron t of the Netbox but who wants to do this I just got the box yesterday after I was goig to cancel my service im thinking I should have ....

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
the problem may not be the NetBox, but might be the actual remote control itself, you can reset the remote control by following the instructions in the instruction guide for the remote control, if not, simply take the remote to a rogers store and have it exchanged for another remote

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around

That was already a consideration but i dont want to drive across the city in this heat for a remote that may be the problem Ive reset the remote and stil cant access the HD box ....

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
so try the reset code first. what code did u enter to reset it?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
did u change the remote to control a non-cisco STB? you can actually if u are not carefull program the code on the remote to control a dfferent stb like a GE or Gerold or sat receiver, try programming the Cable to the code 0001 or read the manual, these remote is very powerfull, and the codes in the manual can pretty much control the remote to any of your liking.

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around

I thought heck il cal tech now that was funny the guy says let me test the box .... I cant see any response from it even though it is working manually you will need to return the new box or we can send out a truck only thing is its sunday and I want to watch some tv I  knew it was a mistake staying with them .IM resetting the box and wil try you rsuggestion with 0001 Ive been through the manual thanks for trying but I think the only resolve is to return it

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around
Ive tried the 0001 solution doesn't recognize it all the other codes in the book are 3 digits are you sure its 4 Pauly ? ,on another note the PVR is just sitting there now cycling .........what a piece of junk ..

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

try programming the cable key to work with scientific atlanta cable box, they have several codes

1877, 0877, 0477, 0008, 0017.  do u need the instructions to program the remote? or do u have them?  im assuming u have the instruction booklet

JKnott
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I also have a problem with the remote.  I bought a new Nextbox 8642HD 500GB on Monday.  The remote wouldn't work most of the time.  I called support and they gave me an authorization number to return the for exchange.  The same problem exists with the new one.  I again called support.  They said the signal level was low and the earliest they can get a tech out is Friday.  Why on earth should signal level affect whether the remote works?  The signal level is certainly good enough to provide clean video.  Also, paying $500 for a PVR and not being able to use it, because the remote won't work is absolutely beyond belief.  Also, I tried the remote with an 8300HD PVR and it works fine.  The other remote also does not work much of the time with the new PVR.  What kind of absolute nonsense is this?  Assuming the tech can get things going on Friday (I have my doubts) then that will have been 5 days in which a brand new PVR was essentially unusable.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
WHAT is the exact problem you are having with the remote?

Slow/delayed input, is from the guide/box not the remote.
The ir field is very narrow comparatively to the prev boxes, have to be more pointing direct at it.

There have been a number which have found an issue stemming from the tv as well (specially seen when its dark), some new tvs have an ir booster type of thing, which was interfering with Rogers ir signal.

JKnott

Most of the time the remote does not work at all with that PVR.  I also have an8300HD and both remotes work with it and neither work most of the time with the Nextbox.  This new PVR is so **bleep** flakey, it's useless.  For example, I normally record the evening news and watch it after it starts.  Since I could not use the remote, I used the front panel to watch the channel live, even though it was being recorded.   I had to leave after a half hour and so turned the PVR off, hoping to be able to watch the remaining after I returned.  However, when I finally got the remote to work and started watching that news, I can only get as far as when I turned the PVR off and then it switches to a live channel that had nothing to do with what I was recording.  This is the 2nd Nextbox I've had this week and neither has worked properly.  Last night, I was able to start watching the recorded news show, but part way through, when I tried to go back a couple of minutes, it wouldn't stop going back, until I used the front panel to turn the power off.  It was only much later that I was able to use the remote again and continue with the show where I had left off.  There is something seriously **bleep**ed up with two of these PVRs to the point I cannot even watch a show!  How did such a piece of crap ever hit the market???

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Dont know what to say..

I have had two 8642 nexboxes and both have worked fine with the remote. (yes, has the OTHER nextbox problems), but not what you are describing. 

Again, only real time i have seen what you are describing, is when there is the interfearance from the TV (that you have had 2 boxes, its likely not the BOX itself so to speak with the issue... its just having an issue with what else is in the room).

Have you looked through your TV settings just incase there is a setting as i had described above, just in case? its worth a shot.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

It would help if we knew exactly which remote you have, but Googling the Netbox it looks exactly like the one I have with my 8300. My guess would be that the problem lies with the PVR. It could indeed be a signal strength problem if the signal from the remote has to go through the Netbox and back to Rogers so they can gather data on your viewing habits. A conspiracy theory? Smiley Mad

When I Googled the Netbox I saw a lot of them for sale on Kijiji. Seems a lot of people want to move them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

That kind of brings up a good point... and a possibility to test.

That i know of, the regular remotes, DONT broadcast anything back, its all IR to the box, then it processes the command.

Now.. the MOBILE app, that has the virtual remote, that one does go through the internet, to rogers, then back out to the box.

If the user does have a phone or device, that they can load this app on.. than they can test with the virtual remote.
IF its working fine.. would narrow it down to an IR issue.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

What I was thinking was that the remote sends a command to the PVR, then the PVR sends the request to Rogers to confirm the subscriber is authorized see that channel, or whatever, and then the signal comes back to the PVR and the command is executed.

I really don't know how it works on my 8300, but it knows which channels aren't authorized. What if older PVRs could be hacked to unlock all channels?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

JKnott

What TV settings are you referring to?  I didn't see any in your post.  As far as IR booster, I don't have one and there's nothing in the TV config about that.  This same TV has worked well with the 8300HD for about 4.5 years.  Also, what would the remote have to do with the recording ending when I turned the power off with the front panel button?  The recorded list shows the full time for the show, but at just before the 1/2 hour point, when watching, I get switched to a live signal from a different channel?

JKnott

I have two types, the original that came with the 8300HD and the new on that has the extra buttons (D) that came with the Nextbox.  However, for most purposes, both should be the same.  Also, if the box is so crappy with a poor signal, how would it be possible to watch recorded shows when the cable is out?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

THe settings i was refering to, was to the IR blaster or IR settings on the TV. (if they existed)

The 8300 and the 8642 are very different in how their IR receivers quality is.. so while yes it may have worked fine on the 8300, could be an issue with the new one.

The turning the power off thing (and it switching recordings)... i personaly have not seen myself or on here.. I have had it while on playback, randomly kick out to live tv.  Or stop recording.. but not switch channels (though also, i dont turn the power off via the box though).

Personaly.. i dont think its directly a signal from the source issue that is causing this.. but it is completely possible.
Comparing the 8300 and the 8642, the 8642 is ALOT more pickey on signal strength being good.  While an 8300 would have been fine say on a 78% signal strength, the 8642 would have issues.

Watching a show from your recorded list, is not effected by signal at all, as it is all played local.

JKnott

I was on the phone with Rogers support yesterday, who seemed to think it was IR interference and had me  try all sorts of things, including turning the TV backlight, contrast and brightness all the way down and also turned off the room lights.  So, I was sitting there in the dark with the screen too dim to see, talking to support and the problem was still happening.  Also a tech came out yesterday afternoon.  While the problem wasn't happening then, he verified the signal levels were good.  Also, I have 3 other devices in that room that have IR remotes and none of them exhibit any sign of interference from anything.  Bottom line, I have no idea what the cause of the problem is, but 2 Nextbox PVRs refused to work properly in my home.  I have received a case number from Rogers so that I can take it back to Future Shop for a full refund.

Also,  I replaced the failed 500 GB drive in my old PVR with the original 160 GB and am using that for now.  It works fine, as it has for years.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation