my guide & manage my pvr missing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: my guide & manage my pvr missing

On my iPad, I recently upgraded to iOS11 after checking various forums. I am using the Rogers Home Edition App to manage my PVR.  I downloaded and tested the Anyplace TV app for streaming.  So you need both if you wish to do both.

OLDYELLR wrote: 

Well, the last couple of days, Chrome IE can no longer sign in to RAPTV, just jumping jellybeans.

Not sure why your Chrome is not working.  I can login just fine and stream (just tested).  I don't use the web app because for me it's useless (I don't stream) as mentioned before.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

OLDYELLR wrote: 

Well, the last couple of days, Chrome IE can no longer sign in to RAPTV, just jumping jellybeans.

Not sure why your Chrome is not working.  I can login just fine and stream (just tested).  I don't use the web app because for me it's useless (I don't stream) as mentioned before.

I entered a couple of messages in Share a Concern, one asking for an email response, then another for a phone response, so far I replied to an email asking for more personal information. Then I messaged Rogers on Facebook and in the meantime tried some other tricks. I found that deleting Chrome cookies didn't help, but using Chrome Incognito I was able to sign in to RAPTV and it's still there, but RECORDINGS still "Coming Soon".  So it's not really Rogers, it's "me".  However, when I try with IE I get the Browser No Supported message, even though I have the latest version, IE 11.  Maybe Rogers does not like the Windows 7 version.

Getting back to support from Facebook.  The guy was able to sign in with Chrome and my email address using a temporary password, but didn't know why only Incognito worked for me  As for how soon the Manage PVR feature would come, he had no timeline, but assured me it would be announced on the RAPTV website.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Today I received a reply from Rogers Share a Concern re. PVR support with the web app and future Firefox support.

Thank you for your reply. I've reviewed this and can't give you a
definitive timeframe for the release of the pvr functionality on the web
app. You mentioned you don't have a smartphone, do you have a tablet?
The mobile app does have this function. Regarding Firefox support, I
don't see any timeline on plans to support firefox use for the web app.

It does not look too promising and no planned Firefox support is downright irresponsible. It doesn't look Like Rogers is too interested in web support, putting much more emphasis on mobile devices.  (I actually do have a smartphone as well as a couple of tablets, but they're not on all the time like my computers.)  In a way it makes sense because at home I normally program my PVR directly (but the web app was easier to search). I could use my smartphone when away from home providing I find wifi or pay for data. I get it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR

Well, that was pretty much a non-answer - well and very carefully worded and written, but really said absolutely nothing.

But in an email, wouldn't expect much more.  I got more a couple of months back in a phone call back to me where they verified that they had gone ahead with the Comcast implementation of apps and the web browser interface, and that they had decided not to hold back on moving forward with the Comcast implementation (which I interpret - needed to get the apps out to the Engineers in Oct/Nov when they began their testing live) and that they couldn't hold back to get everything in place including the interface to the Nextbox users.

I noticed just now that there is now a new version on the Web Browser - Anyplace TV

Version PRODUCTION Build v11.0.25

So some work is being done -

Changes - There is now a vertical scroll bar.
On page where it says your browser is not supported it no longer says coming soon, so "Regarding Firefox support, I don't see any timeline on plans to support firefox use for the web app. would be consistent with what the page now returns.

Browser Unsupported
Sorry, this browser is not supported. Please sign in using another browser.
Internet Explorer
IE 11
Chrome
Chrome

So nothing coming soon it now says, just what browsers to use.

So I will give them credit, they added the oldest browser in the market, not even installed as default browser on Windows 10 - that would be edge - many people, like myself don't even have IE installed - I removed it, don't want anything to do with it.  It is bad enough that Windows tries to make me use Bing, Edge, Bing Maps for its integrated products like Cortana and so forth.

But it is a step forward - The author of the reply could have saved a bit of face by mentioning that there was a new build coming in next few days, and continued work will show in due time.  Rather than basically saying nothing.

The page on recordings still says the same -

but as has been reported, that feature is not available on any Comcast implementation anywhere at this time due to licensing with TIVO.  Ssoon might as well what they said in their reply: " no definitive timeframe for the release of the pvr functionality on the web
app." would be much more appropriate rather than coming soon and a fully disclosed answer would be due to licensing discussions currently under way.

I brought up the Anyplace App on my Android version, it is slow, at first the guide did not work for me, but eventually started up again after a long jelly bean cycle - don't know, but this may be due to pushing out new versions tonight.

version 2.1 on Google Play, in app is 11.0.0.18.0  - so keep an eye on the versions to see changes - I don't see any changes there at this time, but I did run into one I hadn't seen before.

You can only have 2 devices open at a time, and the app gives the option of leaving open - if you have multiple users, remember to don't tick off leave open if you may have more than 2 devices running by chance and so you don't forget to close it and find you can't get on a different device.

The description on Rogers Anyplace TV indicates bug and performance issues were undertaken, and that it is now in French - mine had defaulted on a new install into French, had to figure out how to change it - it is in the settings gear at top right.

On Google Play tonight at 4:25 a.m. I found that there were two home versions 1.8 version 3.3.1-014 dated Sept 16, 2016 and 1.9 September 28, 2016 - that would be back when we had lost it for a long time last time and we got it back again.

I tried the 1.9 first - didn't realize that it was the tablet version - no where on Google Play does it mention that it is the tablet version. Once installed you see it is the tablet version.

Then tried 1.8  I got the service is currently unavailable, please try again later. (218)

Working at 5:48, full functionality.

So the lowly app that I can access my box with is not available - definitely will try again later.

So, some credit to the team, clearly they are doing some work at this time.  I do hope they put Chrome and Edge - Comcast supports them on all other distributions, so no reason they can't do it, but reading their underlying code, they do have some error codes written in to deal with errors off firefox and Edge and Safari, so they may have decided to go at it one browser at a time. Safe way, but more information would remove frustration of customer.

Remember that phrase "end to end customer experience".  I don't think the development and implementation team on this project have yet bought into that one.  I understand that in moving forward with large changes, you want to play it safe, but there are things you can let us know, like the things I and others have found just through Google searches to explain some of what is going on.  Comcast and every other company has forums, so we can get the information of their implementation and customer issues very easily, and the PVR issue is now well known.  I know it is in the courts, but it is also fully public, with a new one filed a couple of weeks ago that I do hope Rogers teams are aware of.

So there we are - a couple of updates, minor changes, consistent with the message that was delivered in your email.

Personally, I suspect that this side of things is taking a bit of a back plate - they are in the middle of implementing and testing with engineers the Comcast implementation, and at least we can see that the apps in general do work with Nextbox and the Scientific Americans, that they appear to be doing one browser at a time, with no date defined for Firefox and if they are going soft launch with a small group of customers and engineers by end of Q1, their priority has to be get it going, and while at it, do their best to keep functionality available for the QAM cable TV boxes and have the apps work for both.

Time will tell - but I know I am kind of dreaming, but I so wish they would be more forth coming, at least for sure when the answers often can be found through fairly quick Google searches.  It is not like the Navigatr where we had to first figure out the company Espial, then the information on Cisco and Technicolour, then everything became clear - Because we know it is Comcast, it is easy to find for those who are interested to find it, and when we do, we hope for clear responses to our questions.

I will give an analogy - Bell just announced Mesh WIFI with Plume - it was first found in November with their app for it on one of the app stores, then people quickly knew exactly what they were up to. Official announcement this week.

Rogers, please take this one to heart - when you change things, and the result is you take functionality away with little explanation or clarity, that is poor end to end experience and I will continue to hold the corporation to what they have stated is their vision for customer experience.  I understand you are in a bit of a race against time and competition as they keep moving ahead technologically, but be open, and you will keep your customers happy as you move forward.  It has been a few years with many large bumps in the road, but please do communicate more openly.

Glad to see things are moving.

Bruce
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

@OLDYELLR

Well, that was pretty much a non-answer - well and very carefully worded and written, but really said absolutely nothing.

But in an email, wouldn't expect much more.  I got more a couple of months back in a phone call back to me where they verified that they had gone ahead with the Comcast implementation of apps and the web browser interface, and that they had decided not to hold back on moving forward with the Comcast implementation (which I interpret - needed to get the apps out to the Engineers in Oct/Nov when they began their testing live) and that they couldn't hold back to get everything in place including the interface to the Nextbox users.

I noticed just now that there is now a new version on the Web Browser - Anyplace TV

Version PRODUCTION Build v11.0.25

So some work is being done -

The email looked a bit hasty and dismissive to me, but it was signed by a Rogers manager.

Yes, some work is being done,  as I suspected. Now I can again sign in with Chrome, but IE 11 gives the bouncing jelly beans. Obviously a work in progress.  Instead of the RECORDINGS tab at the top, I now see the French ENREGISTREMENTS.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

BS wrote:  Changes - There is now a vertical scroll bar. 

The scroll bar was already there in the web version when I did my first review in November - see link below.  I also didn't notice any other changes, other than if you try to login via FF (an unsupported browser) which is now not even mentioned.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/127977-web-app-scheduling-anypl...

I did notice that when you click the time arrows, the guide only moves a half hour. I thought it moved an hour before, but I could be mistaken.  It therefore requires a lot of clicking to move a few hours. It should perhaps move by a "page width" or that option should be available with a different icon? 

There are lots of issues as mentioned in the above link that have not been addressed, the main one being missing guide information when you go beyond a day or so.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

I did notice that when you click the time arrows, the guide only moves a half hour. I thought it moved an hour before, but I could be mistaken.  It therefore requires a lot of clicking to move a few hours. It should perhaps move by a "page width" or that option should be available with a different icon? 

There are lots of issues as mentioned in the above link that have not been addressed, the main one being missing guide information when you go beyond a day or so.

It's Thursday 11:47 a.m. now and I can go to next Wednesday 11:30 a.m.  With the SARA IPG I can go to next Wednesday midnight, another 1/2 day.  I believe the the Nextbox IPG and the old web app could do a day more than that.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Could someone please point me to the relevant COMCAST forum.   Im looking for comment on the strategy that is ignoring people using laptops (Mac book etc).   Seems to me that such people may not have tablets.  And phones are stupid devices to use for streaming TV or a UI for a complex thing like controlling PVR.   Id also like to see stats on how many people use computer (laptop) / tablet / phone / device remote to control PVR.

Also, just for fun (haha) I thought Id take a look this morning at RAPTC on Chrome on my computer, and was rewarded with this (and, yes, I checked the password very carefully, this happened multiple times, other times the browser just timed out):

30214 : Sorry, we are having trouble signing you in. Please try again.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

It's Thursday 11:47 a.m. now and I can go to next Wednesday 11:30 a.m.  

Although the Anyplace Web (Chrome) guide goes out that far, the information available is a bit weird. If for example you scroll quickly to channel 495, or 501-513 "today".  You'll see that there is programming information.  If, however, you then click a different date like tomorrow or later in the week on these channels, then the channel information shows "info not available".  However, if you then scroll up to channel 2 and slowly scroll down to channels 495 or 501, and let the guide "populate" with each scroll, then when you get down to those channels, the information will be available, despite not being available earlier.  So, rather than populate the information as requested, it seems to start at the "top left" and then populate to the "bottom right" of the entire grid...

I just checked the Anyplace App on my iPad and it works properly.

1. The time arrow moves one screen width (2 hours) with each click (instead of 30 minute on Web).

2. By swiping, you can scroll to the right properly on a tablet (this is not available on the computer obviously)

3. The information populates properly.

4. There is a "scroll icon" on the right and when you use it to scroll, it shows the channel number you're on.

Why can't AnyPlace Web work properly?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

This link to Comcast forums gives a flavour of issues on Apple products,.  I located it by doing a google search for comcast forums apple.  This is how I have found most of the information that I have reported.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Apple-TV-App-Activations-Failing/td-p/3022236

Search their forums for more - you will see that they are dealing with very similiar issues as we are with activation, identifying devices that are challenging, browser issues, etc.

Guess we are a work in progress.  New technology rarely goes the way you hope - it is just unfortunate that market pressures and corporate decisions often lead to us the consumer having to be as we have often said in the past - beta testers and we feed back our issues informally via forums, concerns while we wait to hear what they finally are going to do.

For me, I am just going to have to be patient, and do as everyone else - be patient, but I will continue to post what I learn while waiting.

Hope the link helps provide you more information.

Bruce