my guide & manage my pvr missing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: my guide & manage my pvr missing

Three questions:

1.  Who is Comcast?

2.  What is the naturecof their legal dispute and who is it with?

3.  Why did Rogers decide to get in bed with Comcast, and how did they miss this in their due diligence.  

And couple of bonus questions.  

4.  If Rogers due diligence was incomplete, how do we know there aren't other land mInes lurking

5.  Should Rogers be looking for alternative solutions?

What makes it especially frustration is that aside from this issue, the whole PVR UI is terrible.   The space given over to the icons or tiles means the full title of the program or movie is often incomplete and the content is often skimpy and slapdash.   Cast, or original air date or episode are often missing to say nothing of the idiotic synopses.   It may look superficially snazzy but it does not do the job of consistently conveying accurate and complete information.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I have tried to access my recordings via laptop and my phone (Samsung S7) Can't get in on either.  Is this no longer available at all?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mojoscot2 : What do you mean by access? You cannot play your recordings. If you mean "Manage PVR" functionality, to schedule/review new recordings or scheduled recordings, you should be able to do that with the Home Edition App on your tablet/phone.  You cannot do it with Anyplace web (via browser on computer).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RichardF wrote:

1.  Who is Comcast?

2.  What is the naturecof their legal dispute and who is it with?

3.  Why did Rogers decide to get in bed with Comcast, and how did they miss this in their due diligence.  

4.  If Rogers due diligence was incomplete, how do we know there aren't other land mInes lurking

5.  Should Rogers be looking for alternative solutions?

6. What makes it especially frustration is that aside from this issue, the whole PVR UI is terrible.   

1.  A US cable company - easily found by searching the web.

2. TiVo won a recent court/patent decision for the "Manage PVR" type functionality, so Comcast had to cut it from their offerings.  

3. If you search the various IPTV threads in this forum you'll see that Rogers spent about $500 million trying to develop IPTV, but it was taking too long and probably also was too much work to get right, so instead they decided to license from Comcast.

4. We don't.

5. They are currently in bed with Comcast and it's unlikely they will be going elsewhere.

6. Agree completely.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 So are we then to presume that Rogers will never finish developing the "new" RAPTV web app to include PVR management?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR :  I'm not saying that for sure, however, it may not be a high priority for Rogers.  I'm just hoping they don't take away the old Home Edition app. The new Anyplace app apparently doesn't allow for managing your PVR (same as Anyplace web). I have not downloaded it yet, but may soon.

I Plan to Stick Around

So let me see if I have this right...

1. A leading Canadian tech company (* cough) cannot get an IPTV app in place "in time "

2. They cannot find another Canadian tech company to do the job right.

3.  So they outsource to the US.  To a company with a product with an awful UI (not sure if they are responsible for the content issues). 

4.  Said US company was in a legal dispute with another US company that as a byproduct removes key functionality from Canadians.  Sounds like Rogers does not understand due diligence. 

Not much of of an advert for globalisation!    Or Rogers management strategic wisdom. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RichardF, if you read thru some of the comments in this thread and peruse thru the two monster threads on Rogers first attempt to rewrite the nextbox software, you would see that:

1.  Rogers, (a Canadian company)

2.  Engaged Espial (another Canadian company based in Ottawa)

3.  To implement RDK into the nextboxes and their previous version (?)

If you can locate and read thru the monster threads, you will see that this was an unmitigated disaster for anyone who has and uses these pvr's.  The end result, Rogers took a 500 million dollar write down and walked away from the project, losing a good many customers in the process.  So, lesson learned, doing this from the ground up, or trying to overlay modern technology onto old hardware and firmware isn't as easy as it sounds.  If you look at Espial's Facebook page, you might see still several negative comments on Espial's results, assuming that they're still there.  Everything else on the facebook page makes Espial's RDK implementation look superb, but, ask any of the users in this forum and they will give you a completely different opinion.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Datalink  You are dead on with your analysis there related to moving from traditional cable to IPTV.

The Espial initiative was a total failure, but I remember watching the Espial original conference presentations of their full solution and RDK and there was no question they can do it from the bottom up (with their own network implemtations, servers, and settop box and apps.

There attempt to get into what they called a first tier north american provider (Rogers), just did not go well from day one.  But you watch the presentation, the concept that Rogers wanted does not appear to be a proven concept, maybe an internal proof of concept, but never implemented over old Cisco equipment and existing networks.

It just didn't work, so Rogers started from the ground up again with Comcast, which will have some of its own humps along the way to overcome - this distribution to servers is a new model for them - they have their services with XFinity across many different infrastructures in the U.S., and well over 20 different Cable boxes still in place, and many running side by side with the new service at this time.  So within their own owned affiliates, they are certainly able to roll it out to those providers, but keep in mind, these providers are owned by Comcast.  They have only begun to market out distribution to other North American Networks which at this time is Cox in the U.S. and Shaw, Rogers, and Quebecorp in Canada.

This business of distribution of the model is still very new in general, they are running into challenges in browser issues, which who doesn't anymore, and smart phone platforms and tablets, again,, who doesn't anymoe, things change so fast, and not all features on a smartphone are compabable across companies as was suggested earlier by someone.

So, Rogers has a better chance of succeeding on this model than the  past attempt, because it doesn't attempt to lay the new IPTV model on top of boxes original designed to do both or just originally QAM, but we can expecte glitches along the way.

By the way, Espial is still running along just fine - they have a huge market in Africa and Asia and Europe, set top boxes, servers, infrastructure and Internet access and integration of OTA apps.

They just can't break the north american market at this time.  They tried with Rogers, the CEO at Espial used to be with Rogers or visa versa, and why not try Canadian built if you can.  Just didn't work and cost a lot of customers, frustration, and money.

And a last point, the Comcast model does include some OTT apps, but very limited when it comes to TV and Moviess, with Netflix being the only one so far, along with limited sports, social media, but certainly not a full OTT solution such as an Android box or other tools.  We may see more come with time, to compete with Bell which is adding Amazon Prime, has Netflix and Crave already.

At this point, what we are going to get in the end run is all conjecture, but on a basic level, IPTV over Coax Docsis rather than FTTH, allowing for both the old models and new ones to run concurrently until they decide otherwise, Online viewing apps, all limited due to patents and licensing and broadcasting agreements, voice control and manhy other options, but none of these are unique to Comcast and Rogers for Canadian customers - Channel Master, for those who want to use antennas has a full Android option, whole home TV, there is the Tivo model out there, IPTV providers, and who knows what the future will bring.  Interesting times, but there will be glitches along the way.

I do hope they get it right this time, although personally I haven't decided what direction I will go and it is all hypothetical until it actually gets here.  Jan 25 is the live 4th Q2017 reports - may hear more there.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Back to the original topic of this thread. There's actually more than one thread mentioning the broken Manage PVR web app.

Going back through the threads here and on another board...

April 2015 - Rogers kills a perfectly working Manage PVR Web App, replacing it with a buggy mobile app.

September 2015 - Web app returns as RAPTV but not for everyone and is intermittent.

July 2016 - reliability gets worse, it's up and down

October 2017 - Web app no longer working. Some people can still access it with a link in their history, but that only lasts about a month. Rogers says a new web app is in development. Apparently the new web app will only work with Chrome and IE and Windows 10 Edge, all is does is play some live TV and the PVR function is "Coming Soon".

Well, the last couple of days, Chrome IE can no longer sign in to RAPTV, just jumping jellybeans.

I guess breaking it completely instead of just promising "Coming Soon" is Rogers solution.  Smiley Mad

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario