mute text being shown when watching cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

mute text being shown when watching cable

On my 8642 HD PVR i'm seeing "mute" text show up in the top right corner of the screen.

It's not my TV because that text doesn't show up on the other inputs.  My TV volume is zero as I push the audio from my HDPVR to my receiver

Any clues on how to get rid of this "mute" text?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: mute text being shown when watching cable

the 8642 has a built in audio controls and mute when its audio mode is set to "variable"   you can easily change it to "fixed" and it will send audio through the outputs at the a fixed level and your receiver will then use its volume controls to control the volume and u will nto be able to mute the stb. the mute will be either done by your tv or receiver box.

I've Been Here Awhile

That did it, thanks !

I've Been Here Awhile

I now have this same problem. I did check the Audio setting to be fixed, but the Mute display is still there. Any other suggestion? My TV and Explorer 8642Hd receiver are connected with HDMI cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I noticed the 8642 has volume controls on the front panel, try putting your audio settings back to variable, press the volume + button to see if the volume increases or goes away, if it does then put it back to fixed and there u go

I've Been Around

I know this is an old thread but this came up when I did a google search for "cisco explorer 8642hd pvr mute". I had the exact same problem, when I switched my volume to variable and increased the volume on the set top box the mute button went away. Thank you!

I've Been Around

I had this problem and tried those solutions, then had @RogersHelps suggest a number of other things, including unplugging ar rebooting the box and doing resets from their end, to try and solve it with no succes. They ended up sending a tech to possibly change the box, But the solution turned out to be just ADJUSTING THE VOLUME USING THE  CONTROL ON THE BOX rather than the remote.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have your TV programmed to the remote, often the volume buttons (even when the cbl button is selected), will control the TV volume.

But yes, the volume buttons on the box itself, should adjust the box volume..  Not sure how it got muted.. but hitting the up vol should put it out of mute.

Good to hear you go it resolved Smiley Happy

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just got this issue after unplugging the box for a while and I couldn;t get rid of it even after 2 reboots, well I solved it without having to calll in the (Rogers) troops.

I have audio set via my sound system so while going into Settings > Audio  and toggling the Fixed/variable setting then clicking OK restored the sound for that channel, the minute I switched channels I'd have to do it all over again.

Take the Rogers remote and click Setup until a button flashes twice and key in 993 then click Cable, that will restore control of volume on the box itself.  The button flashes twice to indicate it has set.*

Go into Settings > Audio and make sure it's set to Variable and then OK and exit - using the Rogers remote toggle the volume up to max.

Then reset the Audio settings to Fixed.

Then do the Setup > 993 routine again but this time click Audio to restore control to your sound system (or TV if you had it set to control the sound).   The button should flash twice if the setting took OK.

*You wont have to re-pair the audio device or TV.

For those few that actually still use the box volume control, then this should be relatively easy to do.

I thought I would post this to help anyone else who has this issue.    It would appear that a recent update may have played with the default audio settings.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

P.S.  Couldn't get Spellcheck to work here.

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So it's like the volume on the box had dropped down completely?

Just curious how it was connected to the sound system (RCA, optical, hdmi)