moved from europe to Canada, its like back in time for internet and telephony

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

moved from europe to Canada, its like back in time for internet and telephony

I seriously want to end my contract with Rogers. I think their policies are not fair.

I came from europe and I am finding that it is like I have moved 10 years in time when

internet usage used to be capped in Sweden.

Why can't I get any decent speeds for downloading anything but a simple page ?

what is the procedure for ending before my contract ?

Cheers

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: moved from europe to Canada, its like back in time for internet and telephony

@rotterdam04:

welcome back!

I would not have commented on your posting, but I was born in Rotterdam ( a long time ago) and moved to Canada while I was still a kid. So your posting tweaked my interest.

I grew up, and was educated here in Canada, and pursued a career in "high tech" including lots of telecom stuff.  And I am not surprised at your comments.  I have visited Europe many times and have always been impressed with their priorities regarding public infrastructure.  And that is how we should see our telecommunications networks, including our citizen's access to the Internet.  It should be seen as public infrastructure, wired, wireless, fiber, you name it.

In a different era, back in the 1920's and 30's, provincial governments actually had (the political will) to step in to encourage the setting up of local telephone companies in major parts of Canada because Big Business did not think it profitable to put in telephone services in those provinces.  That's how we originally got provincial telephone companies like Alberta Government Telephone, Sask Tel and Manitoba Tel, and others as well.

I wonder what has to happen to get the Canadian governments to wake up and smell the coffee.  It's kind of laughableand ridiculous that Alexander Graham Bell (according to Canadian legend) originally set up the first telephone conversation ever in Brantford Ontario.  When it comes to state of the art telecommunications, we sure have not kept up with the times.

If this is how the much-vaunted Public-Private partnerships are supposed to work, I would rather not have them.  There is entirely too much "Private" profit and entirely too little "Public" benefit in the current situation.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: moved from europe to Canada, its like back in time for internet and telephony

I agree with Canada sucking....with internet and wireless PLANS. I'm from the States and it's totally horrible up here in the "North Pole". Service...plans....everything. I want to end my contract but they'll probably charge you $300.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Welcome back to Canada...we are a first world country when it comes to industrial production, oil exploration and many other things..and **bleep** near 3rd world when it comes to something as basic as our internet infrastructure. I tell my friends in Europe that we have to pay $100 a month canadian for 50mbs service (which is far FAR from even close to that) and we get 2mbs upload....they just laugh. TBH Its utterly embarrassing..we are the laughing stock of the developed world.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Because comparing a landmass the size of Canada and Europe makes a lot of sense. I'm not really going to say Rogers isn't **bleep** us here because they can, but also keep in mind it is a lot more expensive for the infrastructure here because we're a lot farther apart. So there is some basic costs to this.

It's actually been proven that usage caps make no difference at all in network performance, that's just how Rogers likes to bend us over and have their way with us. Upload speed is pretty much limited because they don't want us uploading anything. However with things like video calling and other stuff, upload is getting to be required more and more, so they have no real choice but to upgrade. That and Bell offers faster upload.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: moved from europe to Canada: Ici Farce Canada, Eh?

@mbazdell:

you posted: "... keep in mind it is a lot more expensive for the infrastructure here because we're a lot farther apart...".  True enough that we are much further apart. 

But in my opinion, the price differential we have to pay is way more than what is justified by that!  And don't forget that there are large parts of rural Canada which are either under-served, or not served at all as aresult of the "cream-skimming" practices of the Canadian telecom incumbents.

And you don't need to be that far away from the core of a large population center to be under-served.  I am currently in Milton, ON, and I can see the CN Tower from a location just a five minute walk from where I live.  Yet, Bell has not seen fit to provide basic ADSL services into the local exchange here.  I am forced to use the much more expensive, and much slower wireless cellular infrastructure for my internet access.

The stats for Canada show that a huge majority of the population lives in and around only a few large centres: greater Vancouver, greater Calgary, Greater Edmonton, etc., etc., etc.  You know the list.  That makes up about 95 % of the population.

Another statistic is that 95% plus of the Canadian population lives with 100 miles of the US border.

So, while there could be some merit to your argument if in fact the incumbents were spending their money on providing truly current facitlities to the majority of Canadians.  But, they aren't doing that.  They prefer instead to spend billions buying up Toronto professional sports teams

Ici Farce Canada, Eh?

skinorth