moto x kit kat

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: moto x kit kat

I decided on a Moto X recently because it looked like KitKat was already available for it. I didn't do quite that much reseach so I realized today when I got my phone that KitKat has only been released for US carriers. I would still put the blame on Rogers over Moto. Kitkat is released to other carriers. It's up to rogers now to modify and certify their KitKat release.So today I've been looking at how to get KitKat running on my Moto X.

The good news is that it wasn't all that hard to do. The bad news is that it will void your warrenty.

The nice thing is that Motorola/Motorola Canada/Rogers actually allows you to unlock the bootloader on the Moto X. After unlocking the bootloader I grabed the Kitkat release for the Moto X developer edition (also available on the Motorola website) and flashed that onto the phone.

The most annoying thing at the moment is when you unlock the bootloader the boot screen changes to an ugly disclaimer reminding you that you have voided your warrenty. Other than that everything seems to be working well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Recca168 wrote:

The nice thing is that Motorola/Motorola Canada/Rogers actually allows you to unlock the bootloader on the Moto X. After unlocking the bootloader I grabed the Kitkat release for the Moto X developer edition (also available on the Motorola website) and flashed that onto the phone.

The most annoying thing at the moment is when you unlock the bootloader the boot screen changes to an ugly disclaimer reminding you that you have voided your warrenty. Other than that everything seems to be working well.

My understanding was that doing this would result in the loss of LTE-Max as the US carriers don't run LTE Band 7 (2600MHz).  Can you confirm?

If Band 7 support is retained, I'd be very tempted to give up the warranty, despite having paid over the odds for it.

-- My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle --
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@thegrommit wrote:

My understanding was that doing this would result in the loss of LTE-Max as the US carriers don't run LTE Band 7 (2600MHz).  Can you confirm?

If Band 7 support is retained, I'd be very tempted to give up the warranty, despite having paid over the odds for it.

It doesn't make sense to me that they would add any restrictions since it would depend entirely on the radio and what bands are supported by the carriers. On the phone I can see LTE is enabled and speeds tests give good results (40 down/ 3 up) but I can't think of a way to confirm that it is on band 7. I stumbled across this thread on XDA though

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2523152

The same model Moto X from AT&T was running LTE in Brazil which only uses band 7 so they were able to confirm it was working that way. I can only infer since that the developer edition firmware is made for AT&T that it should also have the same LTE support

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Recca168 wrote:

@thegrommit wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me that they would add any restrictions since it would depend entirely on the radio and what bands are supported by the carriers. On the phone I can see LTE is enabled and speeds tests give good results (40 down/ 3 up) but I can't think of a way to confirm that it is on band 7. I stumbled across this thread on XDA though

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2523152

The same model Moto X from AT&T was running LTE in Brazil which only uses band 7 so they were able to confirm it was working that way. I can only infer since that the developer edition firmware is made for AT&T that it should also have the same LTE support

Yeah, someone else said they had to flash the Brazilian radio to get Band 7, though I've no idea how he confirmed that it wasn't just Band 4.  Though looking at the chart on that page, it appears they'd lose Band 1 support.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

thegrommit wrote:

Yeah, someone else said they had to flash the Brazilian radio to get Band 7, though I've no idea how he confirmed that it wasn't just Band 4.  Though looking at the chart on that page, it appears they'd lose Band 1 support.

Scratch what I said eariler about band 7. I'm in Calgary and from the coverage map, band 7 isn't availble here. Should have looked at that first. I can blame rogers for that one 😛 Guess I'm too much of a redneck for LTE Max

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Recca168

LTE Maxx will be coming down there soon from what i have heard. I do come to Calgary often
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Recca168 wrote:

@thegrommit wrote:

Scratch what I said eariler about band 7. I'm in Calgary and from the coverage map, band 7 isn't availble here. Should have looked at that first. I can blame rogers for that one 😛 Guess I'm too much of a redneck for LTE Max

Yeah, this is what's annoying about the current situation.  We paid good money for these devices, but any workaround results in lost functionality in addition to the warranty.

I've got the additional complication of not being allowed to use the phone for work email if I've unlocked the bootloader or rooted it.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

+1 for all those wanting to see Rogers pull their finger out on the KitKat update.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello boxof

+1. I would love to see this update get released to us. Many are waiting for it.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

It's a good thing you can unlock the bootloader on this thing and easily flash the developer edition 4.4 ROM. I've learned my lesson with this experience and won't be getting another Rogers branded device in the future.