Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

limiting speed " and / or " bandwidth for specific user

DjSingh
I'm Here A Lot

Hello everyone
My question is simple
Is there way I can limit the speed or bandwidth of a special user or special group ( by group I mean lets say the whole wifi)

I don't want to put my modem in bridge mode and attaching a custom firmware router to it..

I know how to do it ..but I believe by doing that I'll loose the speed on my end too..because doing so wont be as efficient as just the modem alone.

The other thing I was thinking was to buy an range extender with setting like that which I can configure to make something like a guest wifi.. and people can use it with restrictions I want.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: limiting speed " and / or " bandwidth for specific user

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
95%+ of all better quality 3rd party routers don't even have that built in to them that I have seen.
It's not a common thing to find unless you go custom firmware or a business grade router (1000s of dollars)
Time limiting is more common, but not bandwidth.

Bridging all and all should not slow anything down.
Yes it's potentially them 2 devices rather than one so you are talking a ms very small amount of latency increase... But otherwise, any better higher end 3rd party router (which is likely what you would be looking at) will blow the rogers ones out of the water on their raw routing capabilities/speeds, let alone better wireless, etc.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
95%+ of all better quality 3rd party routers don't even have that built in to them that I have seen.
It's not a common thing to find unless you go custom firmware or a business grade router (1000s of dollars)
Time limiting is more common, but not bandwidth.

Bridging all and all should not slow anything down.
Yes it's potentially them 2 devices rather than one so you are talking a ms very small amount of latency increase... But otherwise, any better higher end 3rd party router (which is likely what you would be looking at) will blow the rogers ones out of the water on their raw routing capabilities/speeds, let alone better wireless, etc.

View solution in original post

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Are you talking about limiting speed of wifi connecitons, wired connections or both?

What do you mean by user? Do you mean device or person using the device? Normally these types of limitations are done per device, and the setting is based on an IP address or MAC address not a username. Generally your router/gateway doesn't have a concept of users.

Let's say Jack and Jill were using the same computer to access the internet.  Would you want to limit Jack and not Jill?

DD-WRT Professional claims to have the ability to limit user bandwidth.  I've looked around but can't find any instructions or screen shots to explain that capability.  I suspect that the limiitation is based on LAN IP addresses.  The difference I think is the ability to limit the download / upload rates in exact numbers versus the standard DD-WRT rates which are based on four or five categories and which are assigned to each specific LAN IP address.  On the other hand, it appears that it might be possible to load a router with DD-WRT and then use a script generator to generate the necessary script which will do the same thing, and do it for free, as opposed to buying the pro version licence.  Here is a link to the a script generator which I believe will do the job.

http://www.panjitresna.com/limit-user-internet-bandwidth-on-dd-wrt-router/

@wayner92, aren't you using DD-WRT on your router? 

by special user I meant ... specific IP Address.