cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop will not recognize my wifi after I power down each night

harley1dr
I'm Here A Lot

I recently upgraded to Rogers 100u internet.

I picked up a new modem, installed it without problem on my lenovo ideapad.  I changed the wifi name but kept the same password as I've always used. It worked great and I set-up my samsung tablet, xbox 360 and Samsumng Smart TV with the new wifi connection and password.

I power down my laptop each night and then when I power it up in the morning it won't recognize my new wifi signal (I can see my neighbours signasl no problem).  My other devices (tablet, xbox, smart tv) have no problems connecting the next day but my lenovo laptop does. 

To resolve I reinstall with the usb key each morning.  I've called Rogers Tech Support twice with no success and swapped the modem for a new one.  Same problem.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: laptop will not recognize my wifi after I power down each night

Hello @harley1dr

Thank you for your post. So my understanding based on your 2 posts, all devices except Win8 ideapad can’t see your network? It does appears to be wireless adapter issue on the ideapad.

We can try creating a separate network(SSID) for your ideapad, I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. interesting.

First thing i would try.. is in your wifi adapter, remnove and have them forget all of your connections there.. just incase there is anything in them which is causing issues.

Next thing would be..
What do you have as your WIFI settings?
SSID names (2.4 and 5), security settings, etc.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

1.  Are  you running a CGN3 or CGN3ACR?

2.  Are you using a 2.4 or 5 Ghz network?

3.  Running Windows 7 or 8 on the laptop?

When you say that you use the usb key to reinstall each morning, is that the USB Setup Key that came with the modem?  If so, get rid of it.  If you have to do anything with the modem, log in with a web browser, entet 192.168.0.1 into the address bar to get to the log in page for the modem and login with your password. 

If you have been using the USB setup Key, can you load inSSIDer onto the laptop, bring up the network display, do a screen capture and post the screen capture somewhere so that I can have a look at it. 

The link below is to the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  It will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, but it does not display the newer 802.11ac networks which run in the 5 Ghz band.  The network display will show both in list form and graphically, how many other routers are running nearby.  What I would like to check for specifically is multiple networks running from the modem at this point, which would have the same mac address except for the very last right hand digit.  The listed data can be sorted by selecting the top column name to sort up or down.  That makes it easy to sort via mac address so that you can see your address and any others that closely resemble the same address.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Here is a link to the new version which has since become a pay version.  For $20 U.S., if you run networks in the 5 Ghz band, its worth buying.

http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

Edit;  As Gdkitty indicated, you can delete the wireles profile that currently exists and reselect the operating network after that is done.  Here is how to do that in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20055/~/how-to-delete-a-wireless-network-profile-in-wi...

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-delete-forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-81

Hi, thx for the response.

The Rogers tech had me forget the connections but I just did it again.

SSID name (my connection name)?  I've changed it 3 times so far, but I haven't changed the password.  I'm thinking that shouldn't matter (Rogers tech guy said the same thing).

For 2.4 it is just the name and for 5 it is the name-5G.  My laptop won't recognize the 5G one but my work one (which is older) does recognize the 5G one when the laptops are side by side.

WIFI is on, airplane is off, blue tooth is on.

I have the "connect automatically when this network is in range" checked

the following items not checked:

"look for other connections while connected"

"Connect even if the network is not broadcasting"

"Enable intel connection settings"

Security is WA2-Personal

Encryption type is AES

Networking :

Connect uusing "Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260

Connection uses

Client for Microsoft Networks

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

QoS Packet Scheduler

Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

Link Layer Topology Discover Responder

Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Sharing is not checked for "allow other network users to connect through this computers Internet Connectcion

laptop is lenovo ideapad running windows 8.

work laptop that works is running windows 7 - work laptop is locked down so I can't see all the settings to compare.

Any thoughts?

Hi thx for responding.

1. CGN3ROG

2. Default connects to 2.4, but it has 5.  My work laptop sees the 5G network my home laptop doesn't.  work lap top is older

3. Windows 8 (windows 7 for the work laptop)

yep same usb key that came with the modem.

I downloaded the free version I can email you a screen grab if that works for you

there was one network called Rogers38100 which I thought was perhaps the factory setting signal for the first modem I got but not sure if that even makes sense.  The MAC address for mine and Rogers 38100 is not the same

mine channel 1 MAC is 84:94:8C:99:F5:68

Rogers 38100 is channel 3 MAc is 84:94:8C:CA:C3:38

Hello @harley1dr

Thank you for your post. So my understanding based on your 2 posts, all devices except Win8 ideapad can’t see your network? It does appears to be wireless adapter issue on the ideapad.

We can try creating a separate network(SSID) for your ideapad, I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

Ok, from what you are saying, it sounds like the two networks are not related.  Can you indicate what modem you had previously and whether or not it worked with a 5 Ghz network.  Has this laptop ever worked with a 5 Ghz laptop?  One thought comes to mind and that is the Power Save Polling setting for the adapter card.  Drill down to the Advanced Adapter settings for the card and look for a Power Save Polling Setting, PSP, or Continuously Aware .  If there is a Power Save Polling or PSP setting, disable it.  If its labeled as Continuously Aware...enable it.  There is a disagreement between Intel and many other manufacturers as to how Power Save Polling is supposed to work and this does cause problems for laptops when this card is not compatible with the PSP implementation in the router that it is operating with.  Have a look at the following Intel page:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

A couple other thoughts are to turn off Bluetooth and disable IPV6 when you are in the adapter settings.  

I'll send a pm with an email address for the screenshot.   Please check the envelope symbol in the upper right hand corner of this page.

@harley1dr, I received the screenshot and had a look at it.  I've sent a pm regarding what it is showing. 

Ok, there seems to be an answer, but you won't be happy with it.  Seems that your Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 is not a dual band wifi card.  There is however a Dual Band version of that card apparently.  You might want to have a look at replacing your current card and determine how easy or hard that might be.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-product-selection-guide.html

Have a look at that selection guide and scroll down until you can see your Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260.

Here is the product page for your card:  https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-n-7260-bluetooth.html

If you decide to replace the card, consider replacing it with an 802.11ac capable card.  Swap the modem for the newer CGN3ACR or a third party router, and you would be able to use 802.11ac data rates, if the laptop will support those rates of course.

@Datalink wrote:

@harley1dr, I received the screenshot and had a look at it.  I've sent a pm regarding what it is showing. 

Ok, there seems to be an answer, but you won't be happy with it.  Seems that your Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 is not a dual band wifi card.  There is however a Dual Band version of that card apparently.  You might want to have a look at replacing your current card and determine how easy or hard that might be.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-product-selection-guide.html

Have a look at that selection guide and scroll down until you can see your Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260.

Here is the product page for your card:  https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-n-7260-bluetooth.html

If you decide to replace the card, consider replacing it with an 802.11ac capable card.  Swap the modem for the newer CGN3ACR or a third party router, and you would be able to use 802.11ac data rates, if the laptop will support those rates of course.

There are three variants of the 7260, I believe. A single-band N version, a dual-band N version (which was included as standard equipment on many HP business laptops), and a dual-band AC version.

Before we think about laptop surgery, though, what brand of laptop is this? If it's an HP or Lenovo, their BIOSes lock down the permissible cards, so you'd have to be sure that the 802.11ac 7260 is on the whitelist and that you get the right 7260 (there are a couple versions of the AC 7260 that may or may not report the right PCI device ID). If it's anything else, that isn't as much of a concern...

thx @datalink and @vivienM.

Would I be able to resolve the wfi card issue purchasing a usb dual band adapter, something like this?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-dual-band-wireless-ac1300-usb-3-0-wi-fi-adapter-usb-ac...

I'd be a little nervous doing the surgery myself in the laptop. It's a lenovo ideapad.

@harley1dr wrote:

@thx @Datalink and @VivienM.

Would I be able to resolve the wfi card issue purchasing a usb dual band adapter, something like this?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-dual-band-wireless-ac1300-usb-3-0-wi-fi-adapter-usb-ac...

I'd be a little nervous doing the surgery myself in the laptop. It's a lenovo ideapad.

Given it's a Lenovo, I'd advise away from surgery too. For successful surgery, you'd need to make sure that that laptop's BIOS whitelist allows the AC version of the 7260, and it may not. (I've occasionally thought about buying consumer-grade Lenovos when there have been nice deals... and backed away each time because the hardware maintenance manual indicated that there was no dual-band wifi card whitelisted in the BIOS) That, not the physical aspect of the surgery, is what makes me very nervous...

A USB 802.11ac adapter is not a bad idea, I suppose, except that it is... rather inelegant?

Yes, that would probably do the job.  The one thing that we have seen on the forum is that when you decide to use a USB wifi adapter, don't go cheap.  There is another similiar Asus product out, the ASUS AC1200 USB-AC56 Wireless Dual Band Wi-Fi adapter which has an additional external antenna that you can add to the dongle.  Depending on how you use your laptop, that might also be a consideration.  Whether or not the external antenna would get in the way is a good question.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1053&item_id=064022

By  going with either one, you can also swap your modem if you currently have the CGN3.  The newer CGN3ACR is 802.11ac capable.  That would be an interesting data rate test, the CGN3ACR plus the Asus 802.11ac adapter.  In theory you should see higher rates, and better performance out of the CGN3ACR modem.  The modem would be an additional $2 per month, so you would probably have to experiment with both to see if you really end up with the data rate gains that are theoretically possible.

@datalink and @VivienM you have both been more than awesome!  I really appreciate the feedback and help. 

I'll report back on the external adapter should I go that route. 

Glad to be of assistance 🙂  Please let us know how it turns out if you go with the adapter.  For now, you should call tech support and have them turn off the second network as it's running TKIP encryption.

What you could also do is have a look online for instructions on replacing the wifi card on the laptop and see how complicated or easy it might be.  Manufactures typically post a maintenance manual that shows how to remove and intall replacement parts.  That could range from taking it apart from the keyboard on down to something simple like removing a bottom hatch.  Don't know until you have a look around.  At the same time, see if you can find any posts which indicate someone has already done this and how it turned out in the end. 

TimmyG73
I've Been Here Awhile
This is interesting. Thank you for the post. I am running Windows 10 on a HP Envy dv7 with an Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230 card. The protocol being use with the Hitron modem is 802.11n WAP2-Personal. My laptop drops the wireless connection on a regular basis whereas smartphones etc are unaffected. It was such a problem I ran Ubuntu on the laptop which seemed to correct the issue. The only sure way I've found to re-establish the connection is to reboot the modem...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Looks like this wifi card has a long history of poor performance.  There are some things you could try;

1.  Disable Bluetooth.

2.  Disable any Power Saving device shutdown.  You would have to go into the power options for the laptop and drill down to this setting.

3.  Look at the wifi card setting for any PSP, or Power Save Polling.  Disable it if you can find it.  Intel appears to have a different opinion as to how this should operate, compared to other manufacturers. 

4.  Load inSSIDer onto the laptop and have a look at the channels to determine if there is a channel that might have less interference than others, both in terms of other users on that channel, and in terms of overlap from adjacent channels.  Select that channel in the modem or router instead of running the channel selection on Auto.  Here's a link to the last freebie version, which can monitor both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks when its loaded on a dual band laptop. 

5.  Go into the wifi card settings and disable "Wake on Pattern Match" and "Wake on Magic Packet"

Personal opinion I'd be looking at replacing this with another non-Intel card, preferably one that can provide 802.11ac capability.  @VivienM is the expert when it comes to replacing wifi cards.  He can provide you with better advice in this regard.  If there was a bottom hatch allowing access to the card, and your laptop will accept a non-intel card, I'd replace the card in a heartbeat, so to speak. 

Have a look at the following intel thread which is now locked.  This is about the 2230 card.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/38676?start=0&tstart=0

Another newer Intel thread worth reading thru:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/59708?tstart=0

From the first page of this last thread:  "Unfortunately, the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is not compatible with Windows*10 .....".  Rather interesting to say the least.  It doesn't surprise me.  Keep reading thru the thread.  Its only two pages.  The last page is rather interesting as one of the posters is indicating to turn off any power saving measures for the card. 

@Datalink wrote:

Looks like this wifi card has a long history of poor performance.  There are some things you could try;

1.  Disable Bluetooth.

2.  Disable any Power Saving device shutdown.  You would have to go into the power options for the laptop and drill down to this setting.

3.  Look at the wifi card setting for any PSP, or Power Save Polling.  Disable it if you can find it.  Intel appears to have a different opinion as to how this should operate, compared to other manufacturers. 

4.  Load inSSIDer onto the laptop and have a look at the channels to determine if there is a channel that might have less interference than others, both in terms of other users on that channel, and in terms of overlap from adjacent channels.  Select that channel in the modem or router instead of running the channel selection on Auto.  Here's a link to the last freebie version, which can monitor both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks when its loaded on a dual band laptop. 

5.  Go into the wifi card settings and disable "Wake on Pattern Match" and "Wake on Magic Packet"

Personal opinion I'd be looking at replacing this with another non-Intel card, preferably one that can provide 802.11ac capability.  @VivienM is the expert when it comes to replacing wifi cards.  He can provide you with better advice in this regard.  If there was a bottom hatch allowing access to the card, and your laptop will accept a non-intel card, I'd replace the card in a heartbeat, so to speak. 

Have a look at the following intel thread which is now locked.  This is about the 2230 card.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/38676?start=0&tstart=0

Another newer Intel thread worth reading thru:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/59708?tstart=0

From the first page of this last thread:  "Unfortunately, the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is not compatible with Windows*10 .....".  Rather interesting to say the least.  It doesn't surprise me.  Keep reading thru the thread.  Its only two pages.  The last page is rather interesting as one of the posters is indicating to turn off any power saving measures for the card. 

This laptop is HP, which means... most likely, BIOS whitelist. If you have the exact model name (not just something like 'dv7' which describes multiple ranges of laptops), you can check HP's documentation (I think they call it the 'maintenance and service guide'? it's the equivalent of Lenovo's hardware maintenance manual) and see which wireless cards are allowed by the BIOS. The same documentation will tell you how much/little surgery is required to get access to the card. Note that you want the 'HP' version of any supported card; non-HP versions may or may not have the right PCI IDs to work. 

I personally tend to like Intel wireless cards, or at least their decent models, i.e. the 6230/7260, which are the last two models I've had serious experience with (my work laptop has a 7265, too...). The 2230 is in their lower-end, single band (ewwww) range, but I'd still take a 2230 over the comparable products from Realtek or Atheros. 

So, basically, read the documentation, and see if the BIOS would let you put a higher-end Intel card. Or maybe somebody else's card, but that's even less likely (most other manufacturers primarily sell low-end single-band junk to the large OEMs). If yes, and you can get the HP version of that card at a passable price and you are comfortable doing laptop surgery, then I say replace it. 

TimmyG73
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you very much for the quick responses. My HP is a dv7-7270CA model. I have had a chance to turn off power saving on the laptop but change the adapted settings as suggested. I haven't been able to get it online yet to download inSSIDer yet but hope too tomorrow...

@TimmyG73 wrote:
Thank you very much for the quick responses. My HP is a dv7-7270CA model. I have had a chance to turn off power saving on the laptop but change the adapted settings as suggested. I haven't been able to get it online yet to download inSSIDer yet but hope too tomorrow...

Okay, so http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03591253.pdf is the maintenance and service guide. It doesn't look like swapping out the card is too too too hard on that model... Best supported card is allegedly the Intel 6230, HP part number 670691-001. Except... 670691-001 isn't actually a 6230. 

So, it's completely up in the air whether a 6230 is actually supported. I wouldn't throw money into swapping that out without having done a lot more research...

Looks like this Whitelisting issue is a major pain.  Not just any Intel 6230 will do.  It looks like it has to come from HP, and even then, there are issues, like the fact that the manual isn't 100% correct in some cases. 

Here's an interesting thread on the HP Whitelisting issue.  A good number of people aren't too happy with HP's policies. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-notebook-wifi-whitelist-card...

Here's another rather interesting site where laptop owners can request someone to modify the bios and remove the whitelist, allowing you to use any wifi card that you might desire.  I did a quick search and didn't find any existing modded bios for the dv7-7270 or the dv7-7270CA.  So, you could always put in a request and hopefully someone might get around to it.  You could also look around for other sites where volunteers with the right knowledge are willing to produce a modded bios on request.

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Forum-WiFi-WWAN-Whitelist-Removal

Fwiw, looking at the manual, all of the wifi cards listed are shown as 1x1, meaning single antenna for transmit and receive.  Thats pretty cheap.  I wonder what would happen if you installed a second antenna as an experiment.  Would the card figure it out, or would it ignore the additional antenna?  An interesting question.  Only way to find out is to give it a go.  Possibly there is a setting in the wifi card settings you might have to change to run two antenna. You could probably find an antenna at Canadacompters or at a local laptop repair shop.

If you look at the following chart, specifically the rows that are indicated with a single spatial stream which is the result of a single antenna, you can see the data rates that are possible, in theory, for both 20 Mz and 40 Mhz wide channels.  Note that the CGN3ACSMR supports 40 Mhz wide channels for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks and also supports the short guard interval between tranmissions, so, in theory all of those columns should be available if you have a CGN3ACSMR.  If you have a CGN3, the modem does not support the short guard interval, or 40 Mhz wide channels so that leaves you with a single column under the 20 Mhz 800 ns listing.  Keep that in mind if you have a CGN3. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/1128i1B0D5B8474F8D75B

Log in and have a look at the modem settings, under WIRELESS..... BASIC SETTINGS to see if there is a Channel Bandwidth setting available.  If its not there, you would have to call tech support to switch it.  If you have a CGN3ACSMR, try switching between the two, 20 mhz for operating further away, 40 Mhz for close in.  If the modem determines that you are in a crowded wifi area, and a 40 mhz channel isn't possible, it will simply default to a 20 Mhz channel. 

The other way out of your current situation is to use a good USB wifi dongle such as the following:

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/USBAC56/

The long external antenna can be removed.  Going to an AC capable wifi adapter gets you up into the 5 Ghz band which is usually much easier to work in, and you have the capability to run 802.11ac which will help considerably.