cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop wifi connects to 5G but not 2.4

raiderfan_NFL
I Plan to Stick Around

First of all just want to say I'm no router expert or anything, so bear with me here... lol.....

So I have the CGN3 modem, and when I first hooked it up I used the flash drive that came with it etc, and got it working very easily. Our 2 cell phones both connect to the 2.4ghz Wi-fi no problem, our LED TV connects to the 2.4ghz, and the wife's iPad also connects to the 2.4ghz. They all work fine.

The problem we have is the laptop won't work on the 2.4ghz, only the 5ghz. It will say Connected (on the 2.4ghz) but when opening the browser it won't surf the internet anywhere... just hangs and says waiting for google etc etc..... and sometimes it even drops the connection. I switch and connect to the 5ghz and boom, works fine. Now this is ok for most the time, but when I take the laptop to the basement I find the range sucks on this modem and there's little or no connection (status changes to FAIR). And not sure if was on here but I read the 2.4ghz has a wider range, is that true? If so I would like to connect to the 2.4ghz so I can stream to my tv in basement but it won't let me on 5ghz as connection sucks.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: laptop wifi connects to 5G but not 2.4

I dont think i saw it mentioned up above.. 

A thought.

What are the SSID names of the 2.4 and 5?
Are they set the same?

If they are set to the same name, the card may be favoring the 5 over the 2.4.

(one reason why i always name mine separately)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have your good news, and I have your bad news.  The good news, yes the USB is easy to use.  The bad news, it may have cooked your 2.4 Ghz wireless network.  I experimented with it one day and ended up with a situation where turning on the 2.4 Ghz wireless would crash the modem.  When it did work, the transmission had an artifact that should not have been there.  So, with that in mind you need to determine if in fact the 2.4 Ghz wireless is operating correctly.  You might be lucky on that one.  Download inSSIDer, which is a wireless monitoring application.  When you have it up and running on a laptop, bring up the network display so that you can observe the 2.4 Ghz network.  Look for a wireless network that doesn't show a name that might alternate between the top of the list and the bottom of the list.  If that shows up, return the CGN3.  A Factory Reset will not erase or overwrite the settings made by the USB key.  So, if its cooked, exchange it, and don't use the setup key with the next CGN3.  Throw it away. 

I've uploaded a couple of images to show what it looks like using inSSIDer.  Image 1 shows transmission artifact at the bottom of the SSID list.  If you look at the signal, you can see that most of the signals are represented by a straight line, which would represent the signal power.  The artifact signal power is all over the place.  Image 2 shows the same situation at the top of the SSID list, which puts it above the actual network that the CGN3 was supposed to have been transmitting.  So, in this case the output power of the crap artifact signal was in fact above the network that should have been running.  The two cases would alternate back and forth.  I ended up returning the CGN3 for another one.  Lesson learned.  I'm not sure how long it will take the mods to approve the images, so they might not be visible just yet.

Here's the link for inSSIDer:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Before you do anything else, my advice is to check the transmissions from the CGN3 and determine if its working as advertised or if you need to return it.  After that we can figure out what to do from there.  By using inSSIDer, you can also check the 2.4 Ghz network power levels around your home.  You might come to the conclusion that you need a better router to operate in all of the locations around your home. 

I wonder if you might have some success if you went into the network settings on the laptop, deleted your wireless network completely, and then reconnected with your network by using the network list.

raiderfan_NFL
I Plan to Stick Around

you said "it may have cooked your 2.4 Ghz wireless network".... on my wireless card in laptop you mean or the CGN3 modem?

I installed that program (on my laptop) and yes the screenshots aren't dispayed so I can't see what you posted, and in that list there is a bunch of nearby wireless connections available and 1 or 2 blank ones as you said.

This is what confuses me.... why will our 2 cell phones, ipad, smart tv all connect to the 2.4ghz but not the Laptop? It worked fine with the SMC modem. And when I try to connect to the 2.4ghz it says Connected... Signal Strength EXCELLENT.

Yet I go online and nothing loads.....  when I insert that rogers usb flash drive in my desktop it does the load up screen and says 100% you are now connected, then told me to use in other devices that I want to connect also, so i put it in the laptop and it loads to 25% only then Can not complete Network Setup give us a call 1-888 etc etc (but then why lower right corner says CONNECTED, Excellent Signal...... Yet I turn on the 5G on the router and it connects to that no problem. Just the coverage sucks and need to be within 20 feet of the room where the router is.

Whats that other wifi router like Rogers has for the fibre 60, is the coverage on that better? I hate this Advanced Modem!

By cooked, I mean on the CGN3. If you look at the inSSIDer display and you see a network with no name on it, look at the MAC address and see if it is the same MAC address as the network that you are actually running for your devices. I’m going to assume here that you have the guest account turned off. If so, and the MAC addresses are the same, then the CGN3 needs replacing.   If you look at the small power display for each line you will see that most of them are fairly stable, but the artifact, if it is there, is all over the place, and is very unstable.

I don’t recall if the USB stick allows you to set an SSID for a guest account but not broadcast it. I don’t believe so.

Does your laptop have an intel wireless card by any chance? There have been numerous complaints, not here, but on other forums concerning poor performance from Intel Wireless cards.

I don’t think the wireless is much better for any of the other modems. The usual route to solve the issue is to buy a good third party router which will do everything, firewall, packet inspection, port forwarding, etc, etc, and put the CGN3 in Bridge mode.

For some reason the screen shots were not approved, don't know why as all it shows is the wireless analysis, which you can see when you run inSSIDer.

Edit:  Check your mail.  I've sent a couple of links to the screen shots.

raiderfan_NFL
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the quick replies Datalink

yes the laptop has an Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN..... and the Mac address on the blank name is different than my networks mac address. And yes Guest access I have turned off. If the 2.4ghz is cooked (as you say it may be) then why can my other devices connect to it still?  And if it's the wifi wireless adapter in the laptop, well it worked fine before with the SMC modem.

Should I just goto the Rogers store and exchange it for another do you think?

Nope.  If there isn't a secondary ghost transmission with the same MAC address as your network, you're in the clear.  The problem is most likely with a setting for the Intel wireless card.  From what I remember reading, there is an issue with a power saving mode, which Intel indicates is not implemented properly by other companies.  Drill down to the card advanced settings and look for a setting that you can flip to read "Always Aware".  I'll try to find a link to this as soon as I can get to it.  In the mean time, run a google search for:

intel wireless adapter not working

there is a Dell page somewhere that has the list of Intel products that are affected and what the setting needs to be.  This is the second time within the last week or two that this has come up, so you're not the only one.

Edit:  You could also try the following. Delete the network from your laptop, and then re-establish it by manually adding it.  If that does not work, delete the network once again, and then using the list of networks that are availalbe, re-establish the link through the available network.

Ok, have a look at the following Intel link:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Hopefully that will solve the issue.  You might still have to try the manual addition of the network, so, a little experimentation might be in order.

Check your email for the links to my screen shots from inSSIDer.

I dont think i saw it mentioned up above.. 

A thought.

What are the SSID names of the 2.4 and 5?
Are they set the same?

If they are set to the same name, the card may be favoring the 5 over the 2.4.

(one reason why i always name mine separately)

raiderfan_NFL
I Plan to Stick Around

omg... so I read about the same network names on other threads, but thought nah, wouldn't matter with me because

I even Disabled the 5G network... so all I had was the 2.4ghz active and the 5G was turned off, not even showing in the available connections. Did everything Datalink suggested, and even with just the 2.4ghz active it wouldn't connect (even though it said CONNECTED), tried again by removing the connection and starting over again (while the 5G isn't even active) and still wouldn't work....  so I tried what Gdkitty suggested about renaming the 5G connection (because yes I had for example WIFI and WIFI-5G) and so I went back into router settings, Enabled the 5G again, renamed it something different, and FINALLY it WORKS!

I mean, I'm so glad now it connects to the 2.4ghz because yes there is a difference, I can goto the furtherst area of my house and still says Connection: EXCELLENT (where as before it just disconnected or said FAIR), which is now what the 5G is still showing in the same area, so yes must be a wider range of signal under 2.4ghz.

I'm just confused why it works now under 2.4ghz with 5G enabled and different name, and why wouldn't work with 5G disabled? I not even connecting to it so what makes it work connecting to 2.4 now that didn't work before? lol

anyways, thanks so much Datalink and Gdkitty... much kudos to you both!!!

I think the answer probably lies in the operating system, and what it considered to be the last SSID name used for either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks.  I've always used different network names so I've never seen this particular problem.  I suspect that because you had the same name for both, the operating system defaulted to the 5 Ghz network even when it was turned off, as long as that name remained within the Windows registry, it was tied to the 5 Ghz network.  Obviously this remained true when the 2.4 Ghz network was the only network running.  The one major problem with the available networks display in windows is that unless you really know what is transmitting, you can't tell from looking at the displayed list, which network is 2.4 Ghz and which is 5 Ghz.  Did you only have one copy of the name displayed at any one time?  Thinking as an engineer, with the same name used for both networks, you should see the same name twice in the list, telling you that yes, in fact there are two networks running simultaneously that happen to use the same name.  That no doubt would produce confusion and result in everyone deciding to use different network names, just as Gkitty suggested.  All it takes is a small simple detail to make something very difficult 🙂

Now you can walk around the house with inSSIDer running to determine how well the your signal power compares to your neighbors wifi routers, and whether or not there is enough interference to make you consider going to a third party router.  InSSIDer numbers take at least two to three minutes to settle out once you stop moving, which will then give you an idea of the received power at various points around the house.

raiderfan_NFL
I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink, yes it always showed my 2 available connections

would look like this

Connection

Connection-5G

but that's solved now, lol... thanks again forall your time and help. And thanks Gdkitty!!

chen11
I've Been Here Awhile

cgn3acr modem - wifi connects to 5G but not 2.4 for computers

I have a few laptops and desktops that are unable to connect to the 2.4ghz network.  However, they are able to connect to the 5Ghz network.   

I have a computer that needs to connect to the 2.4ghz network because the network card only supports 2.4ghz.

I am not sure what the problem is as I am able to connect to the 2.4ghz network using mobile devices such as my phone and tablet.

Off the top of my head, I would wonder what the setting is for the 2.4 Ghz wifi on the modem.  The WIRELESS.... BASIC SETTINGS page should be set for:

1.  802.11 b/g/n operation in case you have any older devices on hand;

2.  Wireless channel should be set for Auto for now,

3.  WPS should be OFF.

The WIRELESS.... WPS & SECURITY page should be set for;

1  Security mode:  WPA-2

2.  Encryption Mode:  AES only

What you can do as well is load inSSIDer onto the desktop and determine if the wifi network card is in fact receiving any networks at all.  If not, that would point to an antenna cable or connector problem.  If the card can detect your network, the question that comes up is whether or not there is sufficient received power for the card to make use of the network.  If the answer is yes, then you might have to delete any existing 2.4 Ghz network profiles from the desktop and then connect to the network.  The link below is for the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  It will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz band, but it doesn't display the newer 802.11ac networks that are in use now.  There is a new pay version out that does, and which runs on a normal 802.11 b/g/n laptop by detecting the transmit headers and displaying all of the networks it can detect, including 802.11ac networks.  If you want to use 802.11ac networks, for $20 its worth buying.  So, have a look at the modem settings and the inSSIDer display on the desktop and let us know what you find:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Fwiw, with a CGN3ACR which I believe has 802.11ac capability I would look at changing the desktop wifi card for one that has 802.11ac capability as well.  Just confirm that the 5 Ghz WIRELESS.... BASIC SETTINGS in the modem's wifi control pages has a 802.11a/n/ac or 802.11 n/ac mode selection.  If so, you should be able to change the card and run a much faster network to the desktop by using 802.11ac

chen11
I've Been Here Awhile

that fixed my problem. Thanks for all the help

Chen

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

How to use same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks (CGN3ACSMR)

Hi all, I was trying to configure my dad's CGN3ACSMR's WiFi the other day. He was using bridge mode with his own (very old) N router, which has now crapped out. He doesn't want to buy a new router right now so I'd like to configure the Rogera unit for the time being. Anyway, I factory reset the CGN, which put it back into gateway mode, but when I tried to confirm WiFi, I was unable to use the same SSID for both networks (2.4G and 5G networks). Any idea if/how this is possible to achieve on the CGN3ACSMR? Thanks!

@toolcubed wrote:

How to use same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks (CGN3ACSMR)

Hi all, I was trying to configure my dad's CGN3ACSMR's WiFi the other day. He was using bridge mode with his own (very old) N router, which has now crapped out. He doesn't want to buy a new router right now so I'd like to configure the Rogera unit for the time being. Anyway, I factory reset the CGN, which put it back into gateway mode, but when I tried to confirm WiFi, I was unable to use the same SSID for both networks (2.4G and 5G networks). Any idea if/how this is possible to achieve on the CGN3ACSMR? Thanks!

I think others have said that it's impossible... and honestly, my experience (with other home-grade routers) has been that most clients tend to favour 2.4GHz way too much, so having a separate 5GHz SSID to keep those devices away from 2.4GHz temptation is not a bad thing... 

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Ah ok thanks. That's really terrible. Would be nice to have the CGN broadcast 2.4 and 5 on the same SSID. Other routers (e.g. Asus RT-AC68U) do this flawlessly...it prefers the 5G band but auto switches to the 2.4G when out of range for 5G. I guess it is what it is. Thanks again.
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 in conversation