cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet speed lowers than my plan

Jasonkandola
I Plan to Stick Around

i changed my plan on friday to the hybrid 250 plan so my mbs is 250 and upload is 20 but im only reciving 53.87 and 20 upload and on ethernet i recivie 331 and 20 upload heres what my wan is reciving 

WAN Receiving 1.91G Bytes WAN Sending 309.61M Bytes     LAN Receiving 314.39M Bytes LAN Sending 1.93G Bytes

***edited labels***

70 REPLIES 70

Re: internet speed lowers than my plan

Yeah.. i was about to say the same thing...

Not usually a good sign, when the detailed specs, dont give the FULL model (or possible models) of the wireless in the unit 😞

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yeah.. i was about to say the same thing...

Not usually a good sign, when the detailed specs, dont give the FULL model (or possible models) of the wireless in the unit 😞

The specs give "Atheros 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN + Bluetooth"

That's a giveaway for 2.4GHz-only - if it could do 5GHz, it would say 802.11 a/b/g/n. (Or 802.11a/b/g/n/ac if it was 802.11ac).

So, this is your typical lousy consumer-grade single-grand wireless networking card, which means that the numbers you're seeing are about as high as this will go. Such a shame - this is a nice quad core laptop, with discrete graphics, and 8GB of RAM, and its networking performance is absurdly hobbled because Toshiba wanted to save $2-5 on a wifi card.

In theory, if one is very technical, since I don't think Toshiba locks their BIOSes, it should be possible to replace that card with, say, an Intel 7260AC. But I don't recommend it unless one is a very technical person with serious laptop surgery skills...

roxyberlan
I Plan to Stick Around

It is Qualcomm Atheros AR956X. On properties it shows 802.11b and AdHoc11.  I should be fine on N and B networks.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
Rogers tech came out to my house and everything was good on his laptop but on mine speeds are slow, his is showing 320 download And on mine showing 190 and he's using a old IBM laptop ?

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
Can there be somthing running in the background that's using up bandwidth or slowing down my pc when doing speed test?

roxyberlan
I Plan to Stick Around

You were right.  I needed good cables.  Used a new CAT6 cable to connnect the router to the modem.

Wired CAT6 laptop to modem   51.25/10.88

Wired CAT6 laptop to router     194.08/11.24

Wireless network (20 feet away from router)  52.43/11.23

As you guys said, I thing that the wireless card is not giving me what I need.  The ethernet one is good.

I still have to check the lights on the back of the CGN3, but I have to go now.

You were right.  Thanks!!

@roxyberlan wrote:

It is Qualcomm Atheros AR956X. On properties it shows 802.11b and AdHoc11.  I should be fine on N and B networks.

802.11b is 14 years old and does a theoretical 11 megabits/sec.

Your 50 megabits/sec speedtest result is exactly what I'd expect for a good 2.4GHz 802.11n connection. If you want faster, you need to be in 5GHz land, either 802.11n 5GHz or 802.11ac.

Glad to hear that things are working well when connected via your new CAT6 cable.

Regarding your wi-fi issues - I have a Dell D830 laptop which had something very similiar occur with the CGN2 - I had to call Dell technical support, who sent me the wireless card. I removed the keyboard, installed the new part, and had my wireless probelms fixed.

If this is not something you want to do (or can't do because warranty is up) - consider purchasing a wireless USB adapter - you should be able to find them for as little as $10 (Tiger Direct.ca) or $25 (FutureShop).

For anyone reading through this thread, please do not go out and buy a cheap USB adapter.  You will most likely end up with a single data stream, single channel USB adapter which could / will cause more grief than what it is worth.  While most routers will switch back and forth between 20 Mhz and 40 Mhz wide channels, and switch between single, dual or triple data streams for the devices that you own and operate, some modems or routers will not, such as the CGN3.  The CGN3 will lock down to the lowest common denominator, or in this case, single channel operation, bringing your faster devices down to a crawl.  If you are convinced that a USB adapter is the way to go to solve slow wifi performance, please spend the money and buy a good one, which will solve the problem instead of creating more problems.  Issues with cheap USB adapters have been seen in the forum previously, so, moral of the story, buy better quality equipment.  Fwiw.......

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
Rogers tech came to my home and said all cables looked good , splitter is good, signal levels are fine. So then he ran a speed test on his own laptop and and speeds where 320 mb down then he did on mine it was only 180Mb he said my pic is causing Internet to slow down I'm using windows 8.1 so how can I fix this issue? Do I have malware? Virus ? Are there programs running in the background stealing bandwith how do I check all these things ?

Crtl - Alt - Delete brings up the windows task manager, which will allow you to see what programs are running.  There is more to running a speed test than just physically running it.  You have to know whether or not the test platform that you are using is up to the job, and that depends on the processor, amount of ram onboard and hard drive speed.  As an example, using a gaming laptop, or pc, I see 330/22 Mb/s on wired tests.  The gaming laptop (Windows 8.1) will essentially match the wired speeds on wireless using 802.11ac.  Our Acer laptop, also running Windows 8.1 will only run 200 Mb/s on a wireless test.  The Windows RT, might get 50 Mb/s?  So, your speedtest results really depend on what your test platform can do.  Out of curiosity, what are you using for a laptop or pc?

@Datalink wrote:

Our Acer laptop, also running Windows 8.1 will only run 200 Mb/s on a wireless test. 

Is that 5GHz, 802.11n, 2-stream? (e.g. Intel 6200)

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
That's a laptop and it's also a acer

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
How can I check If theres somthing using up bandwith on the background it's a windows 8.1 laptop

@lethalsniper wrote:
That's a laptop and it's also a acer

Remind me, are you doing this over wired or wireless?

What wireless card does it have?

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
I'm doing it wired it's a acer laptop it's a dual quad core processor A10- 4600m turbo core tech up to 3.20 ghz

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
Is there any free malware scanner I can download? I do have a antivirus protection but does it scan for malware or anything else that can use up bandwith

The Acer in question is a Acer Aspire S3-391 with 4 gigs of ram, Samsung Pro 840 SSD and 802.11a/g/n.  This runs on a 5 Ghz network, and maxes out at 203 Mb/s down and 21 Mb/s up.  The adapter is a Qualcom Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Adapter.  If I remember this correctly, it will max out at 320 Mb/s down, 22 Mb/s up on a USB Gigabit ethernet adapter.

To see if anything is running on your wired / wireless adapter, bring up the Windows Task Manager, select the Performance tab, and then the Ethernet selection if its wired.  I presume it will show "Wireless", if its connected that way.  That graph that comes up will show if anything is running through the connection.

For a more detailed view of what running on the connection, go Start....All Programs.....Administrative Tools......Resource Monitor.  When that comes up Select the right hand Network tab and expand the various data windows so that you can see all of the activity within the available categories.  If you stop or kill all of the processes that you are aware of that use the internet, you should see no activity at all.  If something is using bandwidth, it will show up.  The problem might be that you will see usage by Windows svchost.exe.  Is that legitimate or not might be the question.

A good secondary malware scanner is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, available free at https://www.malwarebytes.org/

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
But I'm doing speed test on wired and I'm only getting 190 download BUT when rogers tech came here he tested speeds on his IBM rogers laptop and he got 320 download.

yep, no surprise there.  What model of Acer laptop are you running exactly ?  Just guessing, but disk access time might be an issue unless you replaced the hard drive with an SSD.  RAM speed and quantity might also be a contributing factor.  Do you defrag the hard drive on a regular basis, and, how long has it been since the laptop was reloaded from scratch?  And, keep what I said earlier in mind, our Acer won't really go beyond 200 mb/s on a download test, but our other gaming laptop (Asus) has no problems what so ever.  The difference?  Much faster processor, more memory which is also faster to boot, and an 802.11ac wireless adapter.  The choice of equipment you choose to test with can make all the difference in the world.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
It's never been reloaded since we bought it. The only thing I'm worry about here is if there is anything that's using up bandwith when laptop in sleep mode or just running in the background without us knowing m doing a malware scan at the moment. Model I think is aspire v3-551-x630