cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet speed lowers than my plan

Jasonkandola
I Plan to Stick Around

i changed my plan on friday to the hybrid 250 plan so my mbs is 250 and upload is 20 but im only reciving 53.87 and 20 upload and on ethernet i recivie 331 and 20 upload heres what my wan is reciving 

WAN Receiving 1.91G Bytes WAN Sending 309.61M Bytes     LAN Receiving 314.39M Bytes LAN Sending 1.93G Bytes

***edited labels***

70 REPLIES 70

Re: internet speed lowers than my plan

@Gdkitty wrote:

Well, and i guess the only other thing as well.. would be to post your SIGNAL levels..

Incase signal wise, something is amok which could effect your overall speed.

But in this case, the first two posters are both reporting the right speeds when using wired connections...

@Gdkitty wrote:

All in all.. best bet for the highest plans.. is to BRIDGE it.. and use your own GOOD quality 3rd party router.

And have good quality clients!!!!!

The best router in the world will improve things quite a bit with lousy single-band, single-stream cards as typically found in almost all <$800 consumer-grade laptops... but "improve quite a bit" does not mean 100+ megabits/sec. It might mean 30 or 40 instead of 20...

(It's a shame I don't have any machines with lousy single-band single-stream cards here - my only single-band devices are a camera and a Kobo, neither one of which can do speedtest.net. I'd love to see just how bad the numbers would be, even if testing from right next to my RT-AC68U...)

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast
How do you like that asus RT- ac68u is it worth the money? Or somthing cheaper like the netgear night hawk

@lethalsniper wrote:
How do you like that asus RT- ac68u is it worth the money? Or somthing cheaper like the netgear night hawk

I think everyone here knows my great love for the Asus RT-AC68U, which is the only piece of consumer-grade networking equipment that I've ever owned/used that I have not considered a piece of flawed buggy garbage (and that's me being polite - if I really described how I feel about some D-Link products, the mods would be very upset with me). I have one running as an access point, my parents have one running in full router mode with a bridged CGN2, it's just an absolutely fantastic device that is worth every penny you pay for it.

My parents were not sold about a $230 router, believe me... but then again, ever since they've switched to the AC68U (from a Linksys, WRT310N IIRC), my mom's HP wireless printer no longer occasionally drops offline (requiring a power cycle to be able to print again).

Plenty of others on this forum have them too (jimboden? Datalink? anyone else?) and I believe they've been equally pleased with them.

How it compares with the Netgear R7000, I have no idea. I've never used the R7000 or any other recent Netgear product - in fact, I think the newest Netgears I used were back in the 802.11g days...

I'm with VivienM on the ASUS RT-AC68U router. I got one almost 3 months ago after buying a CGN3 to upgrade to the Hybrid 150 plan. After I bridged the CGN3 to the router, my old iPhone 4S gets Wi-Fi speeds up to the high 40mbps range. With the CGN3, it only got in the mid-to high 20's. Prior to that, I had an SMCD3GN and got the same Wi-Fi speeds as the CGN3. The thing I like the most about the router is its GUI. The number of options can be quite intimidating, so it takes a whle to get up to speed, so to speak. Smiley LOL I have learned a lot about routers and networking in general thanks to people on this forum and the ASUS, which has good user documentation and support. One of the reasons I bought the ASUS, aside from recommendations here, is that it's future-proofed to some extent, because it's an ac router. I do not have any ac devices right now, but who knows what the future holds.

Download speeds on the 150 plan are amazing. I've seen steady wired downloads as high as 230mbps from sites like Steam and Origin. The CGN3 before bridging did get around wired 195mbps on speed tests, so it's no slouch either. It does have other problems, though, such as VOIP either not working or taking a lot of effort to set up, and no evident support for wireless printers. When I installed the router, both worked right out of the box, which is the way it should be.