interactive tv guide too small to read

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

interactive tv guide too small to read

Anybody know how I can get the interactive tv guide (PVR) bigger?  I can't read it at all and my eyesight is reasonably good.  I'm talking about the guide one gets when one pushes the GUIDE button on the remote - the one we can scroll through quickly.

Thanks.

Cathy.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: interactive tv guide too small to read

The guide is sized to fit your tv.

There is no option to increase or decrease font size.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On a bigger tv.. its not too bad, .. but having seen it on a smaller like 20" tv the other day.. it can be a little small.

But as Lurker said, its a set size.. its a specific font size for the resolution.. and on a smaller screen it will end up smaller.

ONLY thing i can think of.. not sure if it will change it or not.. would be try chaing the  output to 720? Not sure if that resizes the guide part though.

Only other thing.. would be to use the TV's zoom feature.. but that would cut off stuff too though.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Since the advent of high definition TVs, we have to re-think viewing distances. With the old CRT SD TVs we were used to viewing at a certain distance because getting closer didn't show any more information, only scan lines.I was quite happy watching my old flat screen 27" Tantus CRT TV at six feet. I now have a 50" Smart TV and watch it at about 12 feet. For the most part that's perfect, but sometimes I need to pause the program and get up closer to the screen to read some fine print. As for the Guide, I have no problem at all because I have an 8300HD PVR which uses the old style guide.

I believe what the OP is looking at is this:

http://s13.postimg.org/ff43i8p6v/Guide_Modern_HD.jpg

For the life of me I can't see why Rogers would waste so much space for useless stuff while making the actual guide more difficult to read. The solution would be to sit closer or get a bigger TV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

Without getting into all the technical details, the optimum viewing distance for your 50" TV is between 6.5 and 7 feet. I had a Pioneer Kuro 50" plasma a few years ago and its sweet spot was in that range.

I currently have a 27" Samsung which I watch from around that same distance. I never had an issue with seeing the guide when I had a NB 3.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

most 50" tvs, the recomended range, is in the 6-15 ft range.. there is usually quite an area.

My 47, i am sitting at about 10ft and its good for me.. wouldnt want to go farther tho.. 6 and closer, i find it starts getting to much that you can see the pixels.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would agree with the 6-15 foot distance. However, now with high definition, movie producers seem to take more liberties and show screen shots of cellphone text messages and little notes, etc, that I can't make out without pausing and zooming or getting up closer.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

For the life of me I can't see why Rogers would waste so much space for useless stuff while making the actual guide more difficult to read. The solution would be to sit closer or get a bigger TV.

I looked at your image and thought "Mine doesn't look like that!".. and then I remember why - I use the "Classic" theme, while you're using the "Modern" theme.

• The Classic theme puts the program listing at the top 1/3rd of the screen with an inset video window at the bottom right showing (full-frame) what is currently playing back, while a description of the current Guide selection in the bottom left.
  • The Modern theme centres the Guide vertically on the screen and obscures 2/3rds of the video that continues to play behind it. What on earth was the thinking behind that?

Anyhow, I just swapped themes to see if the Guide size would be any different, and ... perhaps it's an illusion but I think the Guide in the Classic theme uses a larger font -- somehow it seemed bigger, even though it still shows 5 lines at a time and still shows exactly the same timespan from left to right.

'cathyoconnor' -- try this:

Settings -> Appearance -> Theme [left or right to switch between Modern & Classic] -> Save

Note: the box will reboot, so ensure you're not recording anything when you do this and don't have anything scheduled to start recording in the next 5-10 minutes!

Also, Cathy, while you're in the 'Appearance' area of the Settings, it may be worth double-checking that you have the correct 'TV type' selected. No reboot is necessary, so switch between them, hit 'Save' and see if that imrpoves things. If not, a trip to the eye doctor for an eye test may be in order!

I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

Yes, I've also noticed the trend you mentioned about smart phones etc. which leave you squinting because it's impossible to read the text. I guess movie and TV producers think that everyone has a monster big screen TV 6 feet away.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@theClubHopper wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I looked at your image and thought "Mine doesn't look like that!".. and then I remember why - I use the "Classic" theme, while you're using the "Modern" theme.

I don't use either one. I have an 8300HD and use the "old" guide which looks like this:

http://assets.rogershelp.com/digital/ipg01.gif

I just got that other image from Google.