iPhone update 4.2.1 causing possible issues on network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Corman
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: iPhone update 4.2.1 causing possible issues on network

I am located in Halifax, Nova Scotia - I have the same issues everywhere I go in the province.

This is a problem with Rogers, and iOS 4.2.1 is contributing as well. I've been having this issue since mid November on my iPhone, HTC Magic, and my work Blackberry device. All are 3G devices functioning fine and all experience the same problem.

Basically, it just seems as if it looses connection with the 3G network. Turning 3G off, and then back on resolves the issue, most of the time. But it's annoying since 90% of the time I use my device for data I need to do this - and I am being generous...

I've also been having a lot of problems with voice service in Nova Scotia for the past 2 weeks. I loose all signal on my devices in areas where I normally have FULL 3G coverage. I know this is a problem with Rogers because I have 2 Rogers devices on me at all times - one for work (Blackberry), and one for Personal use (iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.1). My girlfriend also have an HTC Magic which is just as bad as both of my devices. My conclusion is Apple may have a bug, but the Rogers network is most likely the main contributing factor to our data issues... I've gone as far as going down the street to my local dealer and asking them personally if they've been having issues with data - they all said YES, and none of any information on whether Rogers knows, or is even resolving the issue.

I've been a Rogers customer for 12+ years now and honestly never had complaints about coverage - I knew what I was getting into. But lately it seems as if their coverage is getting worse. The only thing I've heard of in the past few weeks was that firmware on the antennas may be the cause of all these issues - but I have no idea if this is true or not. All I know is Bell/Bell Aliant is growing their 3G network and Rogers seems to be static...

As someone stated earlier, Rogers/Fido seem to be the carriers mostly affected:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2662084&start=255&tstart=135

ianolito
I've Been Here Awhile

I had a very helpful conversation with tech support yesterday. They confirmed there was an issue between iOS 4.2.1 and their network. They said the fix involved network maintenance on their side which had to be done at night and region by region. For the Montreal area, I've been told it should be fixed by Thursday.

Corman
I Plan to Stick Around

ianolito - Thanks for the info!!! I shall call for the Halifax region.
RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for keeping our community informed ianolito.

duke_seb
I Plan to Stick Around

I love when someone gets credit for what I started 😉 awe well atleast its being acknowledged
jleiper
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the info! I called a couple of days ago and they kicked the issue up the chain, but now it's time to persist in getting a credit for December.

duke_seb
I Plan to Stick Around

you mean december and half of november.... 4.2.1 was released 22 of Nov
peterg2
I Plan to Stick Around

duke_seb,

This is ticksg from the apple thread. I *appreciate* all you have done.

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi all,

Thanks for keeping us all updated. I have taken a look at master tickets on our end and there is no "Official" known issue with 4.2.1 and 3G.

This however does not mean there aren't plenty of individual tickets (such as duke_seb's) addressing the connectivity issue and being worked on.

What I recommend everyone does is follow our normal procedures to contact technical support (1866-931-3282) and follow troubleshooting to have the issue escalated. If everyone does this,  we will either have a giant influx of individual tickets addressing the connectivity issues which will prompt a deeper investigation, or a very large increase in iPhones being replaced which should also trigger some investigating.

At the end of the day we need your help to have this fixed. I realize contacting us may be time consuming but the process we currently have requires we get as many examples as possible so we can have the issue addressed. If anyone hears any updates regarding their personnal tickets and/or the issue in general, please be sure to let the community know. I will do the same.

djpech
I've Been Here Awhile

I too have the same exact issues... turning on airplane mode and back off make the data go so much faster.. until the next time I need to use it.. just spent 60 mins on the phone with rogers.. escalated to customer care and received 10 dollars of my data plan. not sure that anyone is actually working on this... everyone seems to be wating for 4.2.x or 4.3...  who knows if this will ever be fixed... extremely annoying since upgrading from 4.1

Rogers - take a look through these 20 pages as well...http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2662084&start=0&tstart=0