iPhone and iPad battery life span

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

iPhone and iPad battery life span

Hi folks. I've had my iPad 2nd generation for probably about a year now. And my iPhone 4s since early this year sometime in January. And I've noticed a complete difference in battery life in both these models. the iPhone 4s with very light usage has been lasting me maybe about 3 to 4 days before charging. my iPad lasts me at least 2 to 3 weeks before charging with very light usage as well. Now when it comes down to the iPad Apple gives no answer on how long it lasts on standby but as for the iPhone it states roughly 4 days of standby. Now what I want to know is how long is an iPad 2nd generation battery made to last mostly using standby power?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: iPhone and iPad battery life span

Another question to add is because the battery is more limited on the iPhone would I conserve more battery shutting it off when not using it?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes turning it off fully should conserve power.
Even while off it will drain some, slowly.

My old iPhone 4, was fully charged when I last used it and switched to my iphone5. I turned it on about a week ago, which was about 1+ months after the shut off, was only down to 45%

I'm an Advisor

I have an almost 2 year old iPhone 4S. I can go a few days without charging the battery, but I don't make a lot of calls on it, though. Otherwise, I usually leave airplane mode off, so am constantly connected to 3G and/or Wi-Fi. I never power it off unless some kind of app glitch forces me to.

so you get just a few days on iPhone as well with very light usage? sounds rather unacceptable. The 1st question I had on here is how long is an iPad meant to run  before charging cause I get wonderful battery life on the iPad 2. it's just on the iPhone 4s it only lasts a few days. And Apple doesn't say anything on their web site about standby usage for the iPad just says it uses a few hours of Internet usage. And another question is say you don't want to use the battery at certain periods of time. Like I get answers like it'll degrade your battery if you leave it plugged in to often. And I also seen the battery degrade leaving it plugged in. But the whole reason you leave it plugged in is because you want to use it like a computer cause pretty much iPhone and iPad is a computer. Like my laptop I'm able to leave plugged in all day doesn't do any harm to the battery. Like it be nice if they made iPhone the same way.

I'm an Advisor

Here's a link to Apple's web site regarding battery life of all their devices: http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/iphone.html plus another one specific to lithium ion batteries: http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/ It seems to imply that my iPhone 4S battery will probably have to be replaced within 2 years, which is almost up for me.

That still doesn't clarify why the iPad 2 holds a charge longer than the iPhone 4s. They both use the same operating system. Pretty much I can go for weeks not charging my iPad but only go a few days not charging my iPhone.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello diveman1980

Have you ever thought that the iPhone 4S & the iPad 2 have 2 very different batteries? It seems you did not think of that ( Not in a rude way).

The iPad 2 has a  Non-removable Li-Po 6930 mAh battery (25 Wh)

The iPhone 4S has a Non-removable Li-Po 1432 mAh battery (5.3 Wh)

See the difference in the battery? That is why. The iPad 2 has a bigger battery then the iPhone 4S does.

Well I think Apple needs to add to the battery specs how long it lasts in standby power. cause you only see it on the iPhones, and iPods but nothing on the iPads. Which it be good to add it so people know whether it's worth buying.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello diveman1980

Here you go. gsmarena has specs & update to date specs & all for the devices.

Battery Non-removable Li-Po 6930 mAh battery (25 Wh)
Stand-by Up to 720 h
Talk time Up to 10 h

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_2_wi_fi-3847.php