iPhone SIM card in my iPad?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

iPhone SIM card in my iPad?

Can I use my iPhone SIM card in my iPad?          

***edited labels***                                                                             

Solved! Go to Solution.
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Re: iPhone SIM card in my iPad?

You will not be able to swap SIM cards as the The iPad uses a Micro SIM, you will need to activate a Micro SIM on a data plan to use the 3G function on the iPad.

I'm a Senior Advisor

But my iphone 4 also uses a microsim. Could I not take my iPhone4 microsim and use it in my iPad and use my 6GB data plan?

I Plan to Stick Around

No, Rogers has disabled the ability to swap the sim cards for this very reason.  Yes its your data and you should be allowed to use it however you want since you paid for it; however Rogers sees it as you have to get a seperate data plan for the iPad which probably starts at $30/month or you can pay $20/month plus that awesome GRRF so really its like $25/month to share your exsisting data plan between the two devices.  I believe its this way because I know you can cut your exsisting large sim card down to size and it should work in your IP4 Smiley Wink

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'll try testing this but I believe you are correct about rogers locking it down to not support this.. How else can they double dip into my wallet each month?

I've Been Around

Yes, it will work. Pop in the micro-sim, and connect it to iTunes and it should say there is a new carrier update available.

I Plan to Stick Around

Have you tried this yet? I was also told like what ne14t said that Rogers is disabling it so only works on the active phone and you switch it you gotta call in to reset it or something.

I could be wrong though but this what I heard so far...

You could also just Jailbreak your phone and tether it 🙂
I've Been Here Awhile

Can anyone confirm if this works?  I'd try it but I don't have an iPad ...

I've Been Here Awhile

l

I've Been Around

Thanks! That worked - when I just popped my sim in I got some message about no data plan so I thought I couldn't use my iPhone sim, but once I connected to iTunes and clicked yes for carrier update it worked fine. 

Of course my iPhone doesn't work while the sim is in the iPad so I'm not sure how practical it is, it would be MUCH better if the iPad could be tethered, like my laptop.  I can't understand why they made it so it couldn't. I got it as a gift, and I really like it but I'm not sure I would have paid the extra $$ for the 3G capabilities, there's wifi just about everywhere I go.