iPhone 5 LTE speed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: iPhone 5 LTE speed

@Vietjr.

No i just have the Otterbox Defender on my phone. No need for any protector for it.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I live in Mississauga, and in my certain little area, it keeps switching between LTE and 3G, and I only have like 2 bars most of the time, but if I go down the street, I get full bars LTE, with download speeds of up to 52mbps. It is ridiculous that I cannot get that speed at my house, but literally 2 blocks away I get it.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately Rogers is somewhat bound by the laws of physics - generally speaking LTE coverage footprints will be smaller then equivalent 3G HSPA coverage. Now if that's 3 bars worthy is hard to predict without detailed knowledge of the site.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That is understandable, however, when two blocks away I get full LTE service, why does my 3G at my home drop to one-two bars of 3G? It is even slow just to send a text msg, and it is very annoying knowing how much speed I am missing out on. I do not live in a foreign area, I live in a big sub division in Mississauga, which according to Rogers, is pretty much fully LTE capable. It is disappointing.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I live in Chateauguay Quebec and I'm having only 2 bars on my new Iphone 5. too Is strange because on my old Iphone 4 I use to have full bars. I have no idea if is because LTE signal or something else.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@metapaneco

The iPhone 4 does not have LTE. It has a 3G chip. That is why it gets more signal. LTE uses a different chip and signal. I am getting 3 bars on LTE in Toronto.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@meowmix

How do you find the Defender? Is too bulky  or is it OK?  I still need to get a case.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@eferrier

It is not bulky at all. For me i find the case nice. Its a little heavy but it feels good in your hands knowing it wont break the phone lol.

Also i did a test in LTE & this is my speeds right now.

Ping - 59ms
Download speed - 64.54Mbps
Upload speed - 24.72Mbps
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@AnthonyM88 I have the same problem! I'm in Vaughan and I don't get LTE at home or my street. As soon as I drive down to the main street (1 min away from home) it switches to LTE!

Have you by any chance called Rogers about this?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As meow noted until carriers deploy more LTE sites you will always find that the amount of "bars" you have with LTE is less. That's ok though - speeds should remain fine the only downside becomes a tad more battery draw. 

Also don't forget the phone uses 3G for voice calls - so if you only have 2 bars for LTE doesn't mean you'll have 2 bars for a voicecall 🙂 (you should see it flip to 3G and update the signal strength indicator).