iPhone 4s shows higher data rate on Shaw speed test web site.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

iPhone 4s shows higher data rate on Shaw speed test web site.

on my iPhone 4s I have tested the speeds over speedtest.net and speedtest.shaw.ca and on speedtest.net I get roughly 2mbps during the day hours. But on speedtest.shaw.ca it shows over 50 mbps. I have also tested this through my wifi at home which is through Shaw and I get the same speed test as I do on 3G. Yet on my iMac it shows about 15 to 16 mbps on my wifi. As I said I'm using iPhone 4s with CloudBrowse cause it's the only browser I got that supports flash. I am a bit more agreeable to Shaws speed test cause I find the service through speedtest.net very unreliable lately. so my question is why does Shaws speed test pickup higher speeds than speedtest.net? if in fact the speeds are accurate than you can imagine how much speed 4G and LTE have.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: iPhone 4s shows higher data rate on Shaw speed test web site.

Well this seems to appear to be a bug issue in cloud browse. Because that Cloud Browse is a fast streaming browser it's picking up the wrong speeds. the accurate speeds are what I get when testing through firefox on my computer. Which are the same as speedtest.net.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Alot is based on the ENDPOINT location.

I am on bell, i just ran the shaw speedtest.. and it was AFUL.  Speedtest.net gave me an almost accurate for what i am on here.
(bell fibre direct into building).
But speedtest.net may be taking a shorter route, less hops, etc, than shaws.. shaws is going to a different location, which would effect the test.

So the same is for yours.. they are both not testing to the SAME location.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

As far as I know, an iPhone 4S is supposedly good for in the high 20mbps range max. I've checked this through various sources on the net. I have one and get a max of 28mbps on my home Wi-Fi, using speedtest.net. My service with Rogers is Hight Speed Extreme, which gives me a minimum of 50mbps on my wired computer.

Highlighted

Well this seems to appear to be a bug issue in cloud browse. Because that Cloud Browse is a fast streaming browser it's picking up the wrong speeds. the accurate speeds are what I get when testing through firefox on my computer. Which are the same as speedtest.net.

View solution in original post