iPhone 4S - frequent dropped 3G signal

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

iPhone 4S - frequent dropped 3G signal

Been using the iPhone 4S almost 2 weeks now.  During that time I notice my 3G signal gets dropped to Edge frequently.  It also seems to take longer to acquire a 3G signal when coming from an area of weak signal compared to my iPhone 4.  I can tell because when connected to my car, I get a lot of GSM "noise" whenever the phone is trying to acquire a 3G symbol.  With my 4, I only heard the GSM buzz as I was leaving and entering my underground parking.  Now on a typical 20 minute drive to work it will happen at least once or twice along that route.  Same goes when I'm just out and about, the 4S can't seem to hold a constant 3G signal. Anyone else have this problem?

******* Edit labels ********

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: iPhone 4S - frequent dropped 3G signal

I do too on my iPhone 4, around 2-3 times a day it drops to Edge, usually every time I make a phone call lasting more than 5 minutes. The way I get it back to 3G is by turning on Airplane Mode, wait 10 seconds, then turn Airplane Mode off. This will in essence reboot the antennas, and re-acquire the signal which was 3G in the first place. 

This is a Rogers only issue, as my iPhone 4 is unlocked, and I've used multiple carriers in the US and China, and never once had this issue (only drops to Edge when weak signal, not for random reasons). I also know it's not an iOS 5 problem since my iPhone 4 has been this way on iOS 4.0, 4.1, 4.3.5 and 5.0 firmwares on Rogers and it has always had this issue. It must be a line in Rogers' code that is buggy, only advice is to use the Airplane Mode to kick it back into 3G.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The thing is, I didn't have this problem before on my iPhone 4 on 4.3.3, also on the Rogers network. But I am with my new iPhone 4S on 5.0. Also I am able to regain the 3GS signal most of the time, it's just the frequent drop to edge that bothers me.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

I have been losing 3G on mine even when i am near a Rogers tower. On my iPhone 4 & 4S. I am guessing its either something with Apple or something to do with the Rogers network.
I've Been Around

I've been having this problem here in Montreal, too. It usually happens when I leave a place with a WiFi connection. My iPhone 4S just doesn't connect back to 3G. I simply have no internet connection - not even EDGE. The only thing I've tried so far is doing a soft reboot and everything comes back to normal.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Went to an apple store yesterday and was advised to perform a "Reset all settings" on my phone. So far in the last 24 hours it seems to have worked. I'll report back later
Highlighted
I've Been Around

My iPhone 4S seems to be doing the same thing. I restored my phone, changed my SIM card and it still does it. I barely ever have any signal in downtown Ottawa. Its rediculous! I just got it. Anyone have an answer for me?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I've seen this on my iPhone4 and my dad's iPhone 3gs and my friends 4s... Seems Rogers network in Ottawa is missing some areas for some reason recently..

This started on the iPhone4 and 3gs before ios5...
Highlighted
I've Been Around

It's driving me crazy. I can't get 3G at Toronto's union station (ground level).  I have to be about 100 yards out of the station before it comes back. I lose 3G about 5 times between Union and Oakville, along the QEW/ GOTRAIN corridor. With my other device (RIM) it wasn't perfect, but substantially better.  What gives!!?  Is the IOS 5.1 released today going to fix that?? The iPhone is wonderful but when it loses 3G, the connectivity to the work server is lost and it grinds the email creation to a halt, not to mention constant pop ups, and  unsent messages.... HELLLP!

Frustrating!!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

Where are you located?  I know here in Ottawa we drop to the Edge network all the time because the Rogers network has too much congestion.  I have been having the same problem for going on 6 months now and they have admitted that it is their network.  Take a look at this post.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Apple_Devices/thread-id/396

You will see you are not alone with this issue.  I called and they gave me 50% off my bill for 6 months.  If they don't have it fixed by the end of the 6 month I will be switching carriers. I hope Rogers get's their act together and fixes this issue as it will only get worse with more people moving to smart phones and 3G and 4G networks.