iPhone 4's IMEI is hooked to Rogers but the phone is locked to Bell

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

iPhone 4's IMEI is hooked to Rogers but the phone is locked to Bell

I bought an iPhone 4 second hand from a buy and trade website (stupid I know) but the seller has been  very helpful. She said the phone was locked to Bell so I called Bell, they couldn't find the phone's IMEI, went back to the seller, she said try Virgin, I tried Virgin, same thing, Virgin asks if the phone was purchased at an Apple store, turns out yes it was, Virgin says I have to go get it unlocked at the Apple store. I don't think that's right but I drive down there anyways, they say the phone is locked to Bell by looking up the IMEI and that it hasn't been unlocked and send me back to bell. I go to the Bell store where they say the original owner has to call bell and have it unlocked, but I tell them Bell can't find the IMEI, he suggests a 3rd party unlocking place in the mall. I go there and they say they can't unlock Bell phones. 

So I go home and try Bell one more time. I get this cool rep who says "yeah we can't find your IMEI but let me call Rogers" I'm like... "Why? That doesn't make any sense" he says "Just wait". So I do and sure enough the IMEI is with Rogers, needless to say I'm confused. 

So I call Rogers and yeah, they have the IMEI but I still can't get the phone to work when I switch my SIM card over from my NOKIA LUMIA 900. The rep says "Yeah that phone's SIM card probably isn't compatible with the iPhone 4" I'm a little disturbed that she said "probalby" but tomorrow I'm going to go to a rogers store since they're all closed here right now. I still don't think the new SIM Card thing is going to work and I personally think the issue has something to do with the phone thinking it's with Bell but the IMEI is with Rogers. My theory is that the previous user was going to activate it with Rogers but when she found it would be a $50 unlock fee to move the phone over, she just signed with Rogers instead and cancelled her Bell account. But somehow the IMEI made it to Rogers but the activation was never finished, leaving the phone to believe it's still with Bell. 

I guess I'll see how tomorrow turns out but this whole thing has given me a headache. And I can't blame the seller because she's been totally helpful along the way. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: iPhone 4's IMEI is hooked to Rogers but the phone is locked to Bell

I was right, the new SIM didn't work. I'm currently on the phone with Apple, who is calling Bell. I'm thinking of calling Rogers, conferencing him in and letting them sort this out amongst themselves.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: iPhone 4's IMEI is hooked to Rogers but the phone is locked to Bell

umm, the imei can be assigned to any company even if the phone is locked.  if someone gave me a bell iphone and im with rogers, i can give rogers the imei and they can register it in their computer,  yes even if the phone is still locked to bell the imei can be added to rogers, the imei in the system is used for generating an unlock code, but it does not determine which sim card a locked handset should lock to, its just for tracking purpose.