cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 locked to Rogers Carrier

matalkz
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, i'm from Russia, and i bought iPhone 4 in Canada locked to Rogers Carrier. I just want to know if i can unlock it via a phone call to their support. Is it possible?

******* Edit labels ********

60 REPLIES 60

Re: iPhone 4 locked to Rogers Carrier

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello westo

Here are the Rogers official unlocking policy. If the first owner has NOT paid off the phone / ended the 3 year term ( without upgrading), the phone will be still on their account which will NOT let you get access to it.

To have a device unlocked, a customer must:

Have an account in good standing
Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period (contract)
Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history (no grey market devices)
Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)

westo
I Plan to Stick Around

Right the phone cannot still be under contract, to you or anybody else.  But you could grab a Rogers-locked phone from anyone out of contract and unlock it.  This is at least what CS told me regarding a device I had a few years ago.  They said any device which is off contract, I just had to give them the IMEI and they could do it.  For a fee of course.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello westo

The is true BUT most reps / managers would ONLY do it if you are the first owner of the phone. This is because anyone can buy a phone, close the line & sell it. Then give it to their friends & get them to unlock it from Rogers. They are trying to prevent this.

westo
I Plan to Stick Around

The only advantage someone would have in buying a phone from Rogers, would be the device subsidy.  To get this, they would commit to a contract.  To close the line they would pay bigtime fees.  Therefore I don't see the incentive for Rogers to prevent this - they still collect their money from the ECF.  What am I missing here?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello westo

They can because if the person still has their line ( in which most do) & the sell the phone, the IMEI number is still connected to the account of the first owner. Many have reported this & the sellers just claim they are moving / closing their accounts to sell the phone.

Also When Rogers adds the IMEI number to the unlocking process, the program will show who the current owner of the phone is & who's account its under. If the IMEI number is on NO ones account, then it will work. If the IMEI number is still on someone else s account, then its a no go.

westo
I Plan to Stick Around

I still don't quite follow,

Person A has a line with Rogers.  He goes on contract to get subsidized phone.  He sells it to person B.  Person B cannot unlock it unless Person A's contract has been completed or terminated.  Rogers is protected because the ECF must be paid by person A, or the contract carried out.

Are you saying Person A lies to Person B in order to sell the phone?....and Rogers is protecting Person B from Person A?

As I understand it, i the IMEI number is registered on somebody else's account, BUT the original contract has been completed/terminated, its a go.  As long as the contract is finished, what difference does it make to them?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello westo

Rogers is not protecting person A as Rogers has no clue what person A did with the phone. For all Person A can tell them is that the phone was stolen. I have seen this MANY times happen. Rogers will then add the IMEI number as stolen & not let any rep unlock or give advice to the person who owns the phone after. This is a case which happens from time to time.

Yes if you go on Kijiji & Craigslist many lie about them either leaving countries or wanting to sell the phone to pay bills. I should know this as i have met many people doing this. They told me they needed money to pay bills yet when they opened their wallet to put the cash i gave them, they had more then $500 in there. I do not assume anything but met many people that lie threw there.

In the end, if the first owner sells the phone & the IMEI number is still active on their account, the person that buys it can NOT unlock it unless the owner either pays off the Flextab or cancels the line.

westo
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok right, all you are saying is that if the phone was purchased with subsidy, then it cannot be unlocked until the contract on which it was purchased, is terminated.

So the point remains, if you get a Rogers device, no matter how, and the associated original contract for that device has been satisfied, you can give Rogers the IMEI number and they will unlock it.

I think all you are saying here is that people will sell locked phones and not tell the buyers they are locked and still on contract.  I don't see how verifying the phone on your account avoids that.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello westo

If indeed the original owner terminated his countract & paid off the phone, then yes the phone would be released from their account. That means the next person owning it, can unlock it as long as they add the IMEI number on their account & the other little policies Rogers has.

Okay let me explain this as you seem NOT to understand this. When you contact Rogers to get the phone unlocked, the unlocking team will ask for the IMEI number. They will check it using their program. If the IMEI number that is entered pops up in someone else s account, Rogers then can NOT unlock it or add it on your account as it will not allow it to happen. That is because the first owner has NOT either paid off their phone balance or has not cancelled their account.

No you are not reading what i am writing properly here. Lets say i sell you a phone which is locked to Rogers & tell you " I am selling it because i need the money to pay bills". You accept & do it. The phone IMEI number is still active on my account tho because i have NOT closed my account  or paid off the balance of the phone yet. This means if you want to unlock it, i have to either terminate my account OR pay off the flextab of the phone.

In the end, the ONLY way to get the phone unlocked, will be if the first owner pays off the balance of the phone or cancels their contract. If they have not done this, the IMEI number is still active on their account & the next person that owns the phone can not unlock it unless the owner cancels their account or pays off the balance.

westo
I Plan to Stick Around

Apologize for having trouble, I guess I'm stuck on whether the problem is that the IMEI is on someone else's account, or that the  the contract is still active?

To your third paragraph - you tell me you're paying bills and I buy it.  The problem here for me is not that the IMEI is on your account, the problem is the contract has not been completed.

As I understand, even if the the IMEI was registered to another person's account who entered a contract, BUT that contract has been COMPLETED, then you can unlock it.

Maybe the issue is this - does IMEI registered = contract still active?  In other words, once the contract is up, does the IMEI become de-registered?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello westo

Its okay. Yes if the first owner has cancelled their account or paid off the balance of the phone, the IMEI number will be released from their account. That means the next person who gets the phone, can just open a Rogers account & add the IMEI number & unlock the phone ( must follow the Rogers unlocking policy to do that).

Yes the IMEI number will be DE-registered from the first owner.

westo
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so you are confirming that when you said you have to be first owner of the phone, that was not accurate.  You do not have to be the first owner, you just need the first owner's contract to be completed so the IMEI is released.

So in summary for the interested poster.  As long as the original contract is completed or terminated, you can call up Rogers, give them the IMEI and they will unlock the phone.  It doesn't matter if the original contract was under your name or not, it just has to be completed.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello westo

That is correct. You just need the first owners contract or flextab paid off in order to get the IMEI number released & the phone to be unlocked.

akshatpunj
I've Been Here Awhile

I got an iPhone 4 32GB from my aunt which is carrier locked! I want to request an unlock for my iPhone 4 wirelessly as:-

I am out of country and they told me that they want the phone physically to unlock my iPhone 4.

It is out of contract and warranty too!!

Please help ASAP 

Hello @ akshatpunj

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community Forums! 

Unlocking the device requires permission from the original owner of the device. We would also need to confirm the IMEI number of the device that you are requesting to unlock, which you would need to retrieve from the device. There is also a $50 + applicable taxes fee associated with unlocking the device.

Hope this helps.

RogersSannecia

akshatpunj
I've Been Here Awhile
Well my aunt is the owner of the device.
If she requests the unlock for the device as she knows the imei no.
But i don't know if her rogers a/c is active. And i don't have the invoice also as the iDevice is almost 3-4 yrs. old!
Please help

Your aunt who is the original owner of the device will have to request for the unlock.

If the account is no longer active, the account must have been cancelled within the past 12 months to be eligible for an unlock. The account balance (including cancellation fees, where applicable) must be paid in full. Keep in mind that she will have to pay the $50 (+taxes) fee by credit card.

Hope this helps 🙂

RogersMay

akshatpunj
I've Been Here Awhile

My Aunt spoke to rogers customer care they said that they can do it. But it will take upto 3 months!

Really, will it take 3 months or there's some mistake?

Hi my name is Edwin 

I have a big problem with my Rogers iphone 4s 

sorry for my English,  my language is Spanish.

1 IM in Honduras now im not in Canada no more.

2 I cant get my cell phone unlock i can back to my home country 3 years a go and i cant go back to Canada to get a new sim card.

3 I cant get my cell unlock in Rogers because im no in a plan no more

4 I cant get it unlock in a web because i cant pay the money they ask for, i dont have debit or credit card.

5 I only work for the to kids i have and my wife.

6 I need my cell to take pictures of my family and i cant pass the activate screem. i lose my Rogers sim card

7 i update it from ios 6 to 7 and that make it impossible to pass this screem and used like ipod

8 Apple cant help me because this cell is from Rogers, i know is my, but the cell phone was sell from apple to Rogers

9 Rogers say cant help me because im no in a plan no more.

10 I dont have no one to send me a sim card from Canada because my contacts where in my sim card that i lose

11 Itunes ask me always for a Rogers sim card

12 I look in lots of web for a solution and i only get lots of spam.

So if anyone have a solution for me, can please let me know, and if u have the same problem we can ask together to Rogers to help us with this big time problem.

I have pictures and information in my cell phone that i need to get out from my cell phone.

please help me 😞

Topic Stats