cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 locked to Rogers Carrier

matalkz
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, i'm from Russia, and i bought iPhone 4 in Canada locked to Rogers Carrier. I just want to know if i can unlock it via a phone call to their support. Is it possible?

******* Edit labels ********

60 REPLIES 60

Re: iPhone 4 locked to Rogers Carrier

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
just sign up for pay to the go

Unlock iPhone 4

salianifo
I've Been Around

So I was given an iPhone 4 that was locked to Rogers awhile back. I'm assuming it's off contract/bought outright. I had called before about unlocking it and Rogers wouldn't do it for me. After reading some of the threads about iPhone 4 unlocking, I came up with this idea. please let me know whether this will work or not.

I purchase a Rogers SIM card for the phone. I start it on a pay as you go plan. I then shopuld be able to call and have them unlock it, correct? As far as I can tell, the conditions for unlocking are:

1. Phone is bought outright/off-contract

2. Account is in good standing.

3. Device is listed in your account (which it would be after adding a pay as you go plan, I would think anyway).

Will this method work for getting Rogers to unlock my iPhone 4?

aid
I've Been Around

Hello everyone, I'm in Italy and I bought an iphone 4 from canada with rogers operator block, how can I unlock it?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
@Aid

When you bought the iPhone from here. Did you buy it outright meaning you paid full price? Or did you buy it from someone else?

NEvethen
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I have a similar question. I am going to buy a iphone 4 from kijiji that is locked to Rogers. I talked to Rogers and they said they will unlock it for me, for $50. I will be giving the phone to my uncle and he will be taking it to Sri Lanka, how will i know that it will work there? Will the Rogers unlock allow my uncle to use the iphone in Sri Lanka with their carriers?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello NEvethen

Once Rogers unlocks the phone, it will be unlocked for good. This means you can use it on any carrier that uses GSM / 3G radios and accepts sim cards.

Once you get the phone and Rogers unlocks it, it may take up to 48hrs and just plug the phone into iTunes. It will show you then the phone is unlocked.

NEvethen
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you so much Meowmix. Now I can buy the iPhone with confidence !

I did this, I bought a rogers phone after reading this, I phoned rogers to have it unlocked and they said that only the original owner could have it unlocked

I did a check on the phone and it is not black listed meaning that it is not stolen or a contract runaway.

this policy of rogers is a discrace, very unenviromentaly friendly as my iphone is good for the landfill now as rogers is usless where I live

you dont own the phone rogers, the person who bought it did

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello THEGRUMPYOLDMAN

You could have easily sold the iPhone to someone else threw Kijiji or sold it to a cellphone store. You would have gotten money from selling it..

I do agree tho, the policy is not a very good one but this is what Rogers wants. All you need to do, is ask the CSR to add the IMEI number into your account. Once they do that, ask for them to unlock the phone. They should be able to do this.

This is the only way to have it unlocked. Have them add the IMEI into your account. The phone will be listed as yours from then on.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
try adding the imei of the phone onto your account first, then in a different phone call to the call centre ask for it to be unlocked, or do what meow mix said and sell it on kajiji

THEGRUMPYOLDMAN
I've Been Here Awhile

thanx 4 the responce

it isnt geographicly possible for me to "easely" resell my phone

what is the best way to GET a rogers account to have my imei added to it?

THANX

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello THEGRAMPYOLDMAN

If you have a Rogers wireless account, contact Rogers and speak to customer care or tech support. Tell them you want toadd the IMEI on your account. They will add the IMEI number on the computer ans if its not flagged, they will add it into your account then. Once its added, wait a few hours and then call back to unlock the phone.

kaydee
I've Been Here Awhile
Hi, sorry to hijack this post but I have a similar situation. I'm buying an iPhone 4s from a friend at work. Previously she has bought it for about $600 from another person a while ago, so I'm(and my friend also) assuming that it's bought in full because she's been using it with her own rogers account ever since. Would this mean it's unlocked and I can just pop in my Rogers SIM card? I don't really want to cut my SIM card down to a micro before I have some assurances that it will work. Is the calling Rogers and adding the IMEI a necessary step as well? Thanks!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello kaydee

When your friend bought the phone, did the seller say it was unlocked? It could well be a Rogers locked iPhone 4S. If its a Rogers iPhone, then yes it will work.

If you want, you can call and have the IMEI number added to the account. Its better that way as well.

kaydee
I've Been Here Awhile
Turns out she bought it outright straight from rogers, it was an iPad that she bought from someone else. So Rogers locked means that only rogers customers can use the phone? Is there any scenario that it will not work when I pop in my own(Rogers) SIM? I mean for ~$600 it should be out of contract right? This is a iPhone 4s 8g bought around March.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello kaydee

When it is Rogers locked. IT means the phone is locked to Rogers. It can ONLY be used with a Rogers sim card.

The 4S does not have a 8GB model. You are speaking of the iPhone 4 8GB. Just to make it clear. Also the iPhone 4 8GB should be that price but you need to see the receipt if she still have it.

In your case, yes once you pop on your sim card, it will work just fine with no issues.

the phone is locked to roggers ..nd i wanna unlock it ..i wanna use it in india

Hi Bhangoo

As long as you are the original owner of the phone, and the phone is fully paid for (either purchased fully from the begining, or the contract has been paid off), you can get rogers to unlock the phone by calling them, it costs $50

remolacha72
I've Been Around

I bought a used Iphone from Rogers in Amazon. I would like to unlock it, I live in Venzuela  so I would like to use it here. I believe that the contract is over and the phone does not have any bill to pay. How can I unlock it? I read that if I paid $50 Rogers could do it.

I have the idea to get a "pay & go" contract, and use that money to ask to unlock this phone. Do you know if this idea could result? Thank you for your comments.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello remolacha72

In order to unlock the phone, you must be the FIRST owner of the phone. Therefor even if you get the Paygo account, it will not work out. Rogers has a few policies on unlocking their phones.

westo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi remolachia,

I don't believe you need to be the original owner of the phone, but the original owner's contract does have to be terminated.  Then you need a Rogers account yourself.  The reason for this is so they have somebody to bill for the unlock. 

Options:

1) Get a Rogers account, pay $50 and unlock the phone.  This will typically require a Canadian address though.

2) Find a friend with a Rogers account, get them to call in an unlock your phone.  Pay them the $50 for your trouble.

3) Use an online unlocking service.  This runs $150 or so on ebay, and probably similar elsewhere.

Topic Stats