iPhone 4 and Tethering

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

iPhone 4 and Tethering

Hi,

I'll be getting an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 shortly, and am planning to get the wi-fi only iPad.  My concern is that my wife and I share a family plan for our cell phones; however, her phone is NOT data-capable and my iPhone is the only device consuming data.  

If I plan to use the personal hotspot to "feed" my iPad, do I have to separate my wife's phone from the account (ie: make a single-phone account rather than a shared family plan)?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: iPhone 4 and Tethering

Hi! the $30/6GB Data Plan can either be used as standalone or shared with another mobile internet device (such as a Tablet).

Please be advised it is only available until Sept. 30th 2011.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have a family plan with 2 phones. The only thing I have above that is the 6GB/$30 a month plan for my iPhone. As long as you have more than 1GB for your phone you should be able to tether. If you are sharing the data for some reason with your wife's phone (I know your not but the account may be setup that way) then you may not be able to tether...
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Okay ... how would I go about ensuring that the data is only assigned to me and not shared, then?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Call 1-888-ROGERS-1 and make sure you will be able to tether.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Chris, if read your post correctly, you're saying that one can share their data plan with another phone on a family plan? I called in a couple of months ago and was told that I could only share my 6GB/$30 plan with a Rocket stick or iPad. Has this changed to your knowledge?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The 6GB/$30 plan is special and they don't let you share it really to my knowledge.. But there are family plans with sharing 1GB and such...
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

of course, its "special"...lol!

Thanks, Chris...
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi! the $30/6GB Data Plan can either be used as standalone or shared with another mobile internet device (such as a Tablet).

Please be advised it is only available until Sept. 30th 2011.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Darrell,

What is the charge for sharing the data? After the 30th, is the sharing stopping or is the fee for it increasing?

When is Rogers going to allow us to share data plans across phones, like your competition is doing? 

Thanks...

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Frick156, I've sent you a PM.

Thanks!