iOS 9 wifi calling issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: iOS 9 wifi calling issue

I can confirm that my iPhone 6s Plus that i BOUGHT FROM APPLE NOT ROGERS  is working with wifi calling no problem!

Only working with Rogers iPhone yeh right!!! I feel like they are saying that because they can't seem to fix the problem so they blame on that.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMay wrote:

@roadventure96

Unfortunately iOS Wi-Fi calling is only compatible on iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s and 6s Plus's with iOS 9 purchased from Rogers or Fido.

Regards,

RogersMay

Not true at all... Why are you guys giving us false answers?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

These stock robotic reminder replies don't help us...

To demonstrate that this is untrue and also not tied to any IMEI listing anywhere... Last week I went to the Apple Store to replace my 6s Plus with a faulty headphone jack. New phone is the same model, unlocked from Apple. Activated it with Rogers SIM and it was on Rogers wifi calling immediately. Just like on the previous phone although the previous one had taken a while to get there by itself.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had three iPhones now, all unlocked from Apple, and all had wifi calling working without any help from Rogers. The first one was initially activated on Bell and then later I switched to Rogers. I had trouble getting wifi calling to work initially but later it started to work. The second phone was activated on Rogers and initially had problems but started to work about two days later. The third one was also activated on Rogers and worked immediately.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been told by a Rogers CSR that it isn't that they "can't" it is that they "won't". This whole thing ensures people buy thier phones from Rogers — it is a sales tactic, not a technical limitation.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

iPhone 6 user here. I was able to get Wifi Calling to work when it came out but I disabled itself since then (iOS upgrade maybe, Im not sure).

Since then, I can't enable it. I tried rebooting, network settings reset and even an entire iPhone reset (settings and data). Always the same issue, see the video below. Rogers chat told me everything is enabled correctly on their side.

Any idea?

Video of the issue-> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps907eh6adzbk8g/WifiCalling.mov?dl=0

Thanks,

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have Rogers one number on your account? If yes ask them to take it off that might be the problem

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No, they removed it back this automn when Wifi calling was initialily released.

I called then yesterday. They asked to turn off my phone, did something on their side and after I turned on my phone it was all good.

Turns out there was an issue on their side.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @GingerGa

Wifi-Calling is still advised to work with Rogers/Fido purchased and unlocked phones are considered as always, Grey-Market Device.

Before we get into Wifi-Calling specifically, allow me to clarify the rule about Grey-Market device:

It is not a guarantee to work on the network

It is not a guarantee that all features will work on the network

It is not a guarantee that data, LTE or network settings will function without flaw.

It is also not a guarantee for it to not work. Which means, if it does work, great! if it doesn't, it wasn't supported as it is Grey-Market.

There are alot of technical variables involved as to why grey-market devices are not supported.

Apple has their own support about this from their end: Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling which consistently states 'make sure that your carrier offers Wi-Fi Calling'. Rogers does. Hence why the the selected models were listed by @RogersMay.

But keep in mind, the requirement was for Rogers' devices that complies to apple Wifi-Calling capable phones. Apple website does not state, that all Apple Wifi Calling is available to all the selected series but rather to check with the carrier what are supported and that comes back to Rogers/Fido devices are supported for selected models. The rest are considered Grey Market.

This does not only apply to Apple Devices, but Android, Blackberry, Windows, Symbian, Mobile Hotspots, Rocket Hubs, Tablets for features and functions. Grey-market devices are always just that, Grey-market. They are not officially supported except by the manufacture; again if it works or if it doesn't, neither of it is supported due to multiple variables that may cause it to fail. So it is simply advised as not supported to avoid any false expectation.

Hope this clarifies any questions and confusion regarding this topic.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

Edit:

Also, I am not sure how Wifi-Calling works in an area with no service. I have reached out to a team to find out details about this. I will update accordingly once I hear back from them.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wifi calling is not working on my unlocked iPhone 6S Plus anymore. It's been working great for months now but since last night it's a no go! I've tried resetting my network settings, reset my routers, reset my modem, it just won't work anymore. I turned off wifi calling in the settings and turn it back on it ask me to enable, i press enable and it stays on (green button) but still not working... It this a general situation or it's only me? Should i call Rogers and see if they can fix it on their end ?