iOS 8.4 - Apple Music

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

iOS 8.4 - Apple Music

Got an iOS update notice from Apple yesterday for version 8.4. I installed it on my iPhone 4S and the Apple Music app now supports its new streaming music service. When I first looked at it, I was prompted to sign up for a free 3 month trial. There's also an iTunes update, which supports the streaming music service on your PC, etc.

****Edit Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: iOS 8.4 - Apple Music

From what i have seen, there are two parts to the new apple music stuff.

There is the radio.. which you get when you sign up for it (unfortunately canada requires the sub to get it.. the US gets it for free 😞 )

Then there is the music part.  It pretty much opens most of the ITUNES store that you can listen to anything, as much as you want, for that 9.99.  (instead of paying for each song/ablum)
You can stream them.  You can also download an 'offline' copy thats stored locally, so your not having to stream it every time.  The downloaded ones, woudl be DRM enabled as far as i know.. so it knows if you STOPED your sub, that you dont havev access to that music anymore.

---------------------

NOTE FOR THE UPDATE!:

Anyone who might use the Homesharing features... where you can have the music app on your phone (with NO music on your phone) and while you are on your home network, with a PC with itunes open.. you can stream all your music from that library to your phone..

It has been REMOVED from the music app in 8.4 😞

They SAY it may only be temporary..

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Spotify all the wayyyyyyyy
Booo Apple!
lol - Im joking.
Thats cool, is a good service? I assume their music quality is meeting good standards?
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jimboden

Honestly Apple Music in my eyes is useless. They claim it will better then eveything else but it's had issues as i have read on 9to5mac and other sites. Glad you are enjoying it though.

I will stick to Spotify 🙂
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

I haven't tried it yet, but will eventually sign up for the freebie. My problem with streaming music on iOS is that I use a product called Digital Power Station, which remasters my music in real time. I seriously doubt it's going to work with the iOS Apple streaming service. It will work with iTunes on my PC, though, because DPS processes all audio on my PC.

One thing I've always wondered about streaming music is how Spotify, etc. can stop people from recording the live stream. I've never tried a streaming service, so I guess there must be a way to prevent that.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

I updated to the lastest OS yesterday and signed up for Apple Music.

So far so good, its a nice freebie to have. Haven't tried Spotify yet but ive heard great reviews.

I can't see myself coughing up some extra money for a music streaming service, but who knows my opinion may change one daySmiley Very Happy

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

RogersAsif:

I'm with you on that one. I think Apple has stated its streaming service will be somewhere around $10 a month. You can add tax to that, of course. I noticed that Apple recently started adding tax to its iTunes purchases, so I guess the government cracked down on them. I'll try the streaming app, but seriously doubt it will interest me to the point that I'll pay for it, but I'll keep an open mind for now.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I feel Apple Music is going to be Like iMessage, closed market. (even if it is open to the market). Apple ecosystem is very focus on iOS/MAC users.

I like using services that are cross platform (which I think this is too right?) in case I ever use a different phone and different OS, i can still access it...
rather than feeling "Stuck" with something...
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Just tried it on iTunes. There's a "feature" called For You which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. They give you red balloons with different genre types. The instructions are straight forward, but I didn't get all the genres I selected. One genre I selected with a double-click, which is supposed to mean you love it, is Classical. When it finished processing my request, I got some rock and dance albums, but absolutely nothing for Classical. I tried to figure out how to modify my For You list, but gave up after playing around with it. You can find what you're looking for in the search window, so I tried that and found some Classical music there. I was able to stream it, but not add it to my For You list. I also tried clicking on the heart icon for the Classical album I was interested in, expecting it to show up in For You, but no such luck.

Aside from that, I discovered that For You was also set up on my iPhone after I did it on iTunes. When I have nothing better to do, I'll spend more time trying to understand how everything works.

After I did the setup, I automatically received an email from Apple confirming the 3 month trial period and that it will renew on Oct. 5, 2015 at a cost of $9.99 per month. There was no mention of additional taxes.

As a matter of interest, I tried recording the streaming music on my PC and had no trouble doing it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From what i have seen, there are two parts to the new apple music stuff.

There is the radio.. which you get when you sign up for it (unfortunately canada requires the sub to get it.. the US gets it for free 😞 )

Then there is the music part.  It pretty much opens most of the ITUNES store that you can listen to anything, as much as you want, for that 9.99.  (instead of paying for each song/ablum)
You can stream them.  You can also download an 'offline' copy thats stored locally, so your not having to stream it every time.  The downloaded ones, woudl be DRM enabled as far as i know.. so it knows if you STOPED your sub, that you dont havev access to that music anymore.

---------------------

NOTE FOR THE UPDATE!:

Anyone who might use the Homesharing features... where you can have the music app on your phone (with NO music on your phone) and while you are on your home network, with a PC with itunes open.. you can stream all your music from that library to your phone..

It has been REMOVED from the music app in 8.4 😞

They SAY it may only be temporary..

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

It makes sense that DRM would be used for the offline content. I also read an article on the problem you mentioned with Homesharing. There's a lot of very upset people out there. Smiley Sad