iOS 7 and Cellular

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

iOS 7 and Cellular

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS 7.0.2 a few days ago. Since the upgrade, at the top left of the display, where you're supposed to see cell signal strength plus what kind of cellular signal you're receiving (i.e. 3G etc.), I only get Rogers in the display. Before iOS 7, I always got 3G in the display unless, of course, it was connecting at a lower network speed, then I would get E or something else. I downloaded the iOS 7 User Guide from Apple today and it says that I should be receiving the network connection type, not the name of the service provider. In other words, it should be behaving the same as iOS 6, but it isn't. Has anyone else with an iPhone noticed this since upgrading? I've checked every phone setting and cellular option, but there's nothing that controls this.

Update: Finally figured it out. Beside the Rogers name, I'm getting a Wi-Fi icon, but nothing for 3G. When I go outside, the Wi-Fi icon changes to 3G. I'm pretty sure I got both 3G and Wi-Fi indicators beside each other before iOS 7, but maybe I'm wrong.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: iOS 7 and Cellular

It seems all new phones will not display WIFI and network type indicator at the same time. probably to save space.

My best guess is it displays the one with the stronger signal so you know if you are using WIFI or data network. In the past you may have believed you were connected to wifi but the truth was you were connected to rogers because it had the stronger signal.

Again it is just a guess I didn't program the things.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

It seems all new phones will not display WIFI and network type indicator at the same time. probably to save space.

My best guess is it displays the one with the stronger signal so you know if you are using WIFI or data network. In the past you may have believed you were connected to wifi but the truth was you were connected to rogers because it had the stronger signal.

Again it is just a guess I didn't program the things.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

grandpajim:

Yes, you are correct. It's switching the display to the stronger signal. When I'm home, I always get the Wi-Fi icon, but when I leave home, I get 3G. Prior to iOS 7, though, I always got both at the same time, regardless of signal strength. They were beside each other on the display, 3G on the left and Wi-Fi just to the right.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I don't know i didn't write the program but it would make sense for it to display which you are connected to and hide the other. That being said the only true way to know you are connected to wifi is to turn off rogers data.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

grandpajim:

I must be suffering from senility. I was certain they both showed at the same time, but there's something about the iOS 7 scheme which made me think that. I went on a couple of web sites and found images of phones with iOS 6 and they only show either 3G etc. or Wi-Fi, but not both at the same time.

Think I'm suffering from the exaggerated white backgrounds with light grey fonts that are all over the place in iOS 7. I’ve been having a hard time adjusting to some of the new colour schemes. Whoever at Apple designed the white backgrounds with light grey fonts should be taken out to the woodshed. I’ve read lots of negative comments about this on the web and I personally can’t stand it. To compensate a little, I turned on bold fonts in the accessibility setting and it helps quite a bit.

Moderator: Please feel free to close this thread. Thank you.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

at least from iOS 6+, wifi always covered the 3g/lte.. dont remember back to 4 or 5 though.

I wish the changed (or gave the option to change to the old version) of the signal bars, find the bars easier to read than the dots for cellular strength.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

I agree with you about the dots vs. bars. To my mind, a lot of the changes in iOS 7 like that are aggravating, such as the white screens with light grey fonts. Overall, I llike iOS 7 because some of the new features are actually useful, but the cosmetic stuff they've changed makes no sense to me. I can't even figure out how to change the sound that an alarm makes when it goes off. I don't like the default one, which is different from iOS 6. Oh well, we'll all forget about minor aggravations once iOS 7 becomes the new "normal".