cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 4.0 slowing down older models?

Tkavil
I've Been Here Awhile

I've owned the iPhone 3g for just over a year now. I have experienced some problems which were resolved by a little research or with help from Rogers' Customer Support, but I have finally come across something that is actually causing some frustration and I am unable to resolve this issue myself. Since upgrading to the latest 4.0+ firmware, I have noticed at times when I am trying to switch between pages on my phone to view my apps the screen is very jittery and slow, or when I try to use the spotlight feature it completely freezes. When I am trying to message or type in text, sometimes the text doesn't appear on the screen right away and takes some time show.

I have been able to bear most of this as it doesn't really affect my service and the overall experience of the phone. Something which has never happened before though is at times when I attempt to answer my phone(slide to answer) the slider completely freezes up and twice now my phone has gone into safe mode. I am not sure if this is a common problem or unique to my handset, but I do not think a phone should ever be unable to answer calls. My iPhone is in pristine condition and there is no reason for it to be acting like this unless the new firmware is too much for the hardware to handle.

Some insight would be greatly appreciated.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: iOS 4.0 slowing down older models?

dnavia
I Plan to Stick Around
iOS 4.1 coming very soon. http://www.apple.com/iphone/software-update/ Should fix the issue.
I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

dnavia
I Plan to Stick Around
If your using iOS4 on a iPhone 3G then yes there is an issue. My iPhone 3G was practically unusable with the new update. Sadly, we have to wait for Apple to release a fix, but the next iOS update will include a fix.
I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.

Jetranger
I've Been Around

How did you even get OS4 installed?

Every time I try it sits on "Backing up iPhone" and the little green bar doesn't move.

I have left it even over night and it doesn't install.

Every sync it asks to install - but it won't install.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@Jetranger Have you tried in iTunes just backing up your iPhone? To do so, Control-click or right-click the iPhone or iPod touch icon on the left side of the iTunes window and choose Back Up.

klipper421
I've Been Around

This is a common problem with the 3G iPhone running iSO4.  Life hacker has an article on how to fix the problem.  It involves turning off Spotlight Search.  If you Google Disable Spotlight Searches to Improve iPhone 3G Performance on iOS 4 or click http://bit.ly/d7tmiz to take you to life hacker.  I’ve used this fix since July 30th and found it to dramatically improve the speed of my 3G iPhone. 

gmckay
I Plan to Stick Around

Once you've upgraded..there is no turning back.  Apple no longer allows downgrading your OS as they did before the 4.0 release.  

It used to be easy to grab a IPSW file from the internet and load the previous OS back into your phone, but Apple signature servers will no longer SHSH (sign) the software...without the signature, you cannot use iTunes to load the older software.

dnavia
I Plan to Stick Around
iOS 4.1 coming very soon. http://www.apple.com/iphone/software-update/ Should fix the issue.

notquitesane
I Plan to Stick Around

I have experienced a massive slowdown on my 3G after ugrading to iOS 4.  Is have done some tweaks, that have been previously listed, and it has helped.  

Despite those fixes, it seems to get really really slow after a while, to the point of being unusable.  I have found shutting off the phone and turning it back on at least once a day fixes that.  It is annoying, but has saved the phone from flying out my car window while driving over a bridge... This is the primary reason why I am replacing my phone with a non-apple product.  I do not like how much the performance has been degraded from a software upgrade, to the point of being unusable.

Try power cycling the phone at least once a day... it helps.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the iOS 4.1 update dnavia!

No updates have fix the issues with the older iPhone 3G infact the issues are worse.

DevinH
I've Been Here Awhile

as stated above have you tried turning off spotlight search. as with my 3g and a few other people here it did make a bit of slowdown but turning it spotlight off, does reduce this by quite a bit.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not  represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.

KCinToronto
I Plan to Stick Around

I downgraded my Iphone 3G back to OS 3.1.3 after upgrading. There are methods on the internet that do not require hacking. It did take some time but there are a few step by step processes that will do it.

Just google Downgrade Iphone 4.0 and you should find ideas.

It was well worth it.

KC

troglodyte
I've Been Around

Another thing you guys might not realize is that iOS 4.0 allows
multi-tasking, meaning every time you open an app it stays open and runs
until you close it.  So, if you open 20 apps, they will continue to run in
a suspended state, until you close them out.

How do you close the apps you ask?  Double click the home button and it
will bring up a mini-bar at the bottom of the screen with all the apps
that are running.  Long press one app and it will start to shake, and have
a minus sign in the upper left hand corner.  Click the minus sign and it
will close that app.  If you didn't know about this, you'll be surprised
at how many apps are running.

As well, if you set your home button to do something else when double
clicked you'll have to revert it back to default so that you can use the
double click to bring up your running apps.  I've told about 40 people
this in the last 2 weeks and most didn't even know you could do that.
Give it a try.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 in conversation