iMessage issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

iMessage issues

When out of the country and using texting and calls. Data Roaming is off. Im having problems with the messaging.. Friends advised me that they are getting my text messages since no data but they send a message back? As it still shows iMessage on there iphones back home? Data is off why is it showing that? I find it annoying as not everyone has Send as SMS on when Imessage is not available? I find it a liability when not in data area..

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: iMessage issues

Its hard to say..

thinking about it more.  Since you have cellular ON period.. the phone number itself, will be registered as being there and validated as an iOS device.. so it may just be showing as an imessage, as it knows its a iphone.. even though its sending as an SMS?
(like i know when i add someone new who i dont have on my contacts, who has an iOS device.. the first text to them, starts off green.. but then realises.. hey, they is an iOS user.. and changes to imessage)

I would assume, if they had that feature off.. than yes, it would never send... or SHOULDNT send then.

View solution in original post

All Replies
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Hockey821:

Not sure I completely understand your concern, but here's a quote from the iPhone iOS manual:

iMessage is an Apple service that lets you send unlimited messages over Wi-Fi (or cellular
connections) to others using iOS 5 or later, or OS X Mountain Lion or later. With iMessage, you
can see when other people are typing, and let them know when you’ve read their messages.
iMessages are displayed on all of your iOS devices logged in to the same account, so you can
start a conversation on one of your devices and continue it on another device. For security,
iMessages are encrypted before they’re sent.

As you can see, iMessage works when cellular is turned off as long as you have access to Wi-Fi.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would depend on if Hockey821 was in a wifi zone or not.

If not.. shoud send purely as a text then to him.. if celular data roaming is off..

So on your friends phones.. its showing as a BLUE message on their phones?  That would mean that its using data and sending as an i message.

If its green.. its as a text.

Where my wife works.. ocassionaly, shes in a zone which barely has EDGE coverage.. but regular cellular for calls still seems to work. 
when i send her a iMessage while she is there.. it sends as an imessage first (as it remembers shes on an iphone) and trys it that way.. after a bit, auto fails over, and trys as a text.  The message is in BLUE to begin with, but changes to green, after it fails the imessage.

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes but my question is while roaming and have data off it still shows as blue on other iPhones and i that person doesn't have send as SMS if iMessage is not available it will never send? But u will be able to send as texts. That's why I'm concerned about.. I turned off my iMessage because of that.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its hard to say..

thinking about it more.  Since you have cellular ON period.. the phone number itself, will be registered as being there and validated as an iOS device.. so it may just be showing as an imessage, as it knows its a iphone.. even though its sending as an SMS?
(like i know when i add someone new who i dont have on my contacts, who has an iOS device.. the first text to them, starts off green.. but then realises.. hey, they is an iOS user.. and changes to imessage)

I would assume, if they had that feature off.. than yes, it would never send... or SHOULDNT send then.

View solution in original post

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm talking about when out of country and have data off so on your screen would show text message to send as. On other iPhones it shows iMessage and sends as 1 and just sits there Untill I have wifi access or turn on data roaming. If the person doesn't have send as SMS on in their settings it will never revert to text for the other person making it seem they never responded..
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, thats right.

If they dont have that feature on.. it SHOULDNT send to you.. and likely fail altogether.

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya.. So only way to get texts while data off would to shut off iMessage?
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No. To receive texts you should get them no matter what, as long as the other side is sending as text.