how to change your static IP

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

how to change your static IP

Rogers say I have a static IP. I want to change my IP

how do I do It?

does rogers offer dymanic ips that changes each time you log on?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: how to change your static IP

Usually power cycling your modem will grab a new IP. Or if you release and renew your ip you can get a new one.

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

Currently all residential services offer a Dynamic ip based system for all of our customers.  This ip is assigned to the MAC address of your network card or your router.  This is updated every few months when we perform updates to our DHCP server that provides the IP address.

At this time only our Business Solutions customers are assigned a Static ip address if requested.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Here is the way I have done it a dozen time.

SIgn into your router (usually http:\\192.168.0.1 in IE) and look for the command to release your IP address.

Make sure your email or any other software is not asking for an update so the router re-requests an IP address too soon.

Command the realease IP address in your router.

Unplug your moden and router immediately.

Go away for the weeked. You need to wait until somebody else requests an IP address on their service and yours gets taken.

I am in the rural and it can take a day or so, sometimes.

Plug it all back in, wait a few minutes, use IE or email and your software should re-request a new IP address for Rogers.com

If it doesn't work after a few minutes, go into the router setup again and select request a new IP address. You may need to reset your Ethernet port or reboot your computer to relink it to the router after setup again.

You can usually find your IP address inside the router setup.

I've Been Around

I am looking to change my  IP  a few time , how do i do this..

We are a few playing the same game and we keep getting ban cause they thing its the same person .

So they lock my account of the game or i get booted out alot .

I know the only they can see this is threw our IP

So I need to change it more often , how do I do this ...

Does any one know ?

cause this question been baffling alot of people

thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Coronet,

You can TRY calling into tech support and see if they can do it.. but if not, the post above yours is about your only other option.

Have you tried that?

I've Been Here Awhile

MAC cloning can only be done at your router providing it has those capabilities. Most ISPs assign their IPs based on the MAC address in your equipment. If the MAC address of your router is 00-11-22-33-44-55 and you connect to your ISP, the DHCP server records your MAC and assigns an IP. If you disconnect from the ISP, you lose your IP address. The next time you connect, the DHCP server sees your MAC, looks to see if it has assigned an IP address to you before. If it has and the lease time has not expired, it will most likely give you the same IP address you had before disconnecting. Why clone a MAC address? New MAC address most likely equals new IP. How to clone your MAC and if your router has this feature is dependent on the router itself. You’ll need to find the instructions on the manufacturer’s website

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Need-help-concerning-IP-change-MAC-clone/td-p/193...

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-mac

I'm an Advisor

@all:

konsept48 is right on the money in his posting above.  As RogersHemal posted: "...residential services offer a Dynamic ip based system for all of our customers.  This ip is assigned to the MAC address of your network card or your router..."

So, if you need to make sure that your Internet IP address is changed, (based on RogersHemal's posting above) you need to wait a long time, possibly until whenever Rogers performs maintenance operations which reset their dhcp server, whenever that might be.

The other option is as mentioned by konsept48 in the previous posting.  If you have a router which allows you to "clone" its MAC address you can fool the network so it believes a different user/device is connecting.  In order to do this, you change the MAC address of your router as and when you need a new IP address.  That more or less forces the network to assign a different IP address when you next connect.

So, if you really need to do this, you might consider getting a router that has the MAC address cloning capability.

So which routers have this capability?  I know that certain Linksys routers I have owned have that ability.

skinorth

I've Been Around

"At this time only our Business Solutions customers are assigned a Static ip address if requested." when i tried to release the ip it said that "static ip cannot be released" and i'm pretty sure i'm not a business solutions customer. so has this changed within a year or..........................

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers IPs, while not STATIC.. are sort of assigned for LONGER periods.. i think mine only changes 2 or so times a year.  SO whenever your modems lease on the IP is up, it renews it, but it still gets the same one.

The business one, you would have until you drop the service, etc.