horrible 3g speed with samsung captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

horrible 3g speed with samsung captivate

I signed a 3 year contract and got a samsung captivate. But my 3g speed is so slow. It's ridiculous. The download speed is less than 1MB/sec consistently and uplaod speed is like 0.2MB/sec consistently.

I called the tech so many times, and I've done everything they asked for

1. got/activated a new sim card ( don't know how this has to do with 3g speed)

2. reset the phone to factory defect

3. they sent me a replacement phone and the speed is just as bad

I somethings see the 'E' sign on my  indicator bar. WHY am I getting edge??

Please help me! I signed a 3 year contract and paying 60 bucks a month to get this horrible service! Please tell me how to get out of this contract. I totally got scammed!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Re: horrible 3g speed with samsung captivate

Hi mcshen and welcome to the forums,

It sounds like our technical support covered most of the bases. If you still experience issues with 3G speeds and it is confirmed by technical support, the next step would be for them to escalate the issue so we can investigate it on our end.

Our technical support direct line is 1866-931-3282. If all proper troubleshooting is completed and the problem remains, our next step is to escalate this.

I've Been Around

I have to agree with this post, as my new samsung does not get 'anywhere' near  the speed of that is advertised. The fast I have gotten out of at least six test, at different time and different days is 1.42Mbs down and .35Mbs up.and that is only 600 yards from a cell tower... what gives!

I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers image throttles your connection speed.  Also, Rogers data speeds are horrible slow during peak times.  It's not actually the fault of your phone, more the Kernel Rogers has developed which specifically throttles your speed .. and the slowness of the Rogers 3G network during peak times.

I've Been Here Awhile

Same problem-Down1.16/Up-0.07!!!My friend with Mobilicity has more than double speed.....for much les money

I Plan to Stick Around

From my understanding both Rogers and Bell (and even Telus) networks are running at their maximum capacity.  There is rumor that even as they the service providers are building their 4G network, they are also increasing their 3G capacity.  This is coming from my friend that works at Bell.  Anyways, yes, the best way about it is to complain to Rogers more about it.  Hopefully you find a resolution soon.

I've Been Here Awhile

Been 8 months, and problem is still not fixed. 3G is slow!

OMG people with wind mobile, mobilicity is faster than me, and I pay twice as much almost!!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Never trust any advertising from Rogers what-so-ever. Don't trust the representative and do as much research as you can on your own before you walk into the store.

I feel for you buddy, because the advertised speed is the theoretical maximum that you will never ever see. That's probably the speed you can see when you have absolutely noone on the network except you and have no air, no moisture, no buildings, no trees and no nothing between you and the tower. When Rogers puts a * beside anything, you have to read it.

Now, this might be something you guys don't know unless you're really into Wireless spectrum technologies, but Rogers uses HSPA+ (Evolved High Speed Packet Access), which gives you 21.1Mbps theoretical maximum, while Bell/Telus shared network uses DC-HSPA+ (Dual Cell Evolved High Speed Packet Access), which can give you 42Mbps theoretical maximum. So, in a sense, at least for the current 3G HSPA+ networks, Bell/Telus should give you better speed than Rogers barring they don't throttle your connection down as well.