hitron modem and xbox live

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

hitron modem and xbox live

hey, so i recently switched out my SMC D3 which had horrible ping times and slow speeds, for a new hitron.  Since getting the hitron, ive had nothing but issues with xbox live.  I have an open nat (both from xbox telling me and halo 4 telling me) and it keeps disconnecting mid-game.  i sometimes can get a game or two in, but normally it d/c's each game mid way.  I have tried UPNP as well as static ip w/ port forward for my xbox, both with the same result.  Are there any settings causing this, or should i try a different modem?

i am using an old style xbox, with an N wireless adapter attached to the back.

***edited labels***

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: hitron modem and xbox live

It's quite possibly the wireless on both the smc and the Hitron which are causing your issue. Both of them the wireless is natoriously bad.

Doing it wired you shouldnt have this issue, or by using your own router and have it do the wireless.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to add, I have the smc, and can play halo 4 fine with it wired into it.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I kid you not, I have swapped the Hitron modem 3 times, so that's a total of 4 Hitron modems I tried to use. All of them have an issue with losing WAN connection. You can see it by looking at the "uptime". When I called support they informed me the modem was active for several hours, I pointed the uptime on the modem of being only 10 minutes. Those things constantly lose connection for no reason, which is completely unacceptable for doing anything requiring a constant connection.

Long story short, swapped the Hitron for the Cisco and have had no issues since.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'll try the cisco first as running wired is not that fesable at the moment.  Worst case, I'll switch to a wired connection or even buy my own router and bridge the rogers one.  Thanks.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I’m wondering if someone can help solve an ongoing NAT Moderate problem with XBOX live. 

The problem is that I keep returning to a NAT Moderate status on XBOX live, even though I’m able to sometimes get a NAT Open status.  I’ll explain.

I subscribe to Rogers extreme internet and I have the Hitron modem.  I’ve followed all the Port Forwarding steps on XBOX live to try and fix the NAT Moderate error without success (http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-live/connecting/network-ports-used-xbox-live).  I keep power cycling the Hitron modem, sometimes with success and sometimes without.  If I’m lucky and get NAT Open status, the next time I log into XBOX Live, I’m back to NAT Moderate.

My xbox is hardwired to the modem, so there should be no connection lag.  This is frustrating because it causes lagging.  I’m not sure what else to do.  Funny thing is that I never had this error when I had internet with Bell.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wired to hitron, or wireless, firewall and other two options on or off, forwarding, triggering and Dmz attempted. Nothing allows my xbox live to work like it should when connected to the hitron modem router. Unplug and plug into my old router that is now receiving internet from the hitron through a switch. Problem solved. Not ideal because I need to run two networks one piggy backed on the other and can't access my nas box.

Rogers tech support says contact Microsoft. If my old router still works fine, how is it a Microsoft problem? Something on this hitron is blocking xbox live on its network but allowing it on my linksys network that gets its internet from the hitron.

My second router is running 192.168.1.1 instead of .0.1 and works just fine, even though it is connected to the hitron through a switch. Rj45 from hitron to switch -》rj45 to linksys. Linksys RJ45 to xbox. No problem. Rj45 from switch to xbox = no xbox live matchmaking. Wirelessly, no xbox live functionality. Direct xbox rj45 to hitron. Nothing.

My old router is not a gigabit and neither is the switch. Really wish I could get some support on this. Tech didn't even know what a DMZ was. Yes. Really.

Now Rogers doesn't even guarantee they can get wireless working. If your wired network is ok, wireless is your problem.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While it wont fix the hitron, etc.. i may be able to help you a bit Dylanthalus. (get you all on one network).

It MIGHT be a NAT issue.. that the xbox in having a problem through the NAT on the hitron.. but going through your other router first, may be clearing up whatever it needs to go out.

Right now you are on the two networks... 192.168.0.1 for the hitron and anything connected there, and 192.168.1.1 for anything off the linksys.

You would want to go into  your linksys. and change the  base IP for it, from 192.168.1.1 to  something like 192.168.0.2.
You will want to turn DHCP on the linksys off.  This really just turns it into a switch/wireless access point.  But leaving the firewall/NAT on the linksys.. i am hoping will still make things work for the xbox.. and then put them all on the same network, so they all can communicate.
(i have this setup at home, and works, mind you my xbox is plugged right into the SMC and works fine).

One last silly question.. when your xbox is plugged into the hitron directly, what address is it getting? Is it getting a 192.168.0.x address?  Only other thing i could think, is if it was retaining or was manualy set, with a .1.X address.. it wouldnt work when on the 0.1 network... but obviously start working when back on through your linksys since its set .1.1.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm. My post didn't take. Thanks for the pro tips. I'll try this out. Maybe not today though but will post if successful.

Xbox gets 192.168.0.15. I have two xboxes but only game on the one. Gave up trying to get them both open nat.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Xbox at dhcp. Nothing static on my networks