hitron cgn3 wireless disappeared, ip address of my computer is 174.x.x.x

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

hitron cgn3 wireless disappeared, ip address of my computer is 174.x.x.x

Woke up this morning and my wireless internet was disappeared.  The lights on the modem (Hitron CGN3) for wireless are both off.  I unplugged and re-plugged in the moden no change.  So I hooked my laptop directly via ethernet and I can't log into 192.168.0.1 to access the admin pages.  

I ran ifconfig/ipconfig and I noticed that my IP Address isn't in the 192.168.0.x range, rather its some strange 174.114.215.x.  Ethernet works, but wireless is gone.

I tried the soft-reset (hit the reset button for 2-3 seconds) and no luck... I don't really want to do a factor reset if I can help it, I have setup a number of reserved ips based on MAC and I didn't back it up. Smiley Sad

Any ideas?

Tim

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: hitron cgn3 wireless disappeared, ip address of my computer is 174.x.x.x

So, I eventually lost Internet as well... really laggy and dropping.  So I factory reset the modem and everything is working again (back to factory settings of course).

Somewhat concerning... I'd say I might have a lemon except reading this forum has made me think they are all lemons.

Tim

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

174 is another range that is/can be used for local networks (non routable, if i am correct)... odd that rogers would potentially switch to it...

Sounds like the gateway may have had a firmware push, etc.. changed that.. and turned off the wireless

go into a dos prompt, and type in

ipconfig

What does it show as your gateway address?
that should be the address to log into the gateway.. can see if wireless is on, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OOps, you replied as i was replying..

Wondering if they were doing changes in the area and trying to push something to that device..

Other than the loss of the settings.. at least your back up now?  Hopefully they dont try that push again and have it screw up again.

I'm a Senior Contributor

As reported in another forum "the firmware has been updated to 4.2.4.1 with the USB Storage feature support!"

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,28808431

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm Here A Lot

And I have that new firmware:

SW Version 4.2.4.1

That seems to explain it.  Thanks a bunch.

Tim

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wierd..that it was giving the other IP range though..might have just got stuck.

GOOD to hear, that the USB port is enabled Smiley Very Happy

Wonder if someone who has it.. can test the port forwarding.. see if any of that has been resolved.

I'm Here A Lot

I justed tested Port Forward and it is working for me.  I was able to open port 80 on my workstation (at home), and access it from my work computer using the public ip.

Tim

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh nice.. this was an issue with it prior for most people.  Good news! Smiley Happy

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Port forwarding is working again?? That is awesome news. I will give CGN3 another try.