found my 2.2 homescreen lag fix

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

found my 2.2 homescreen lag fix

searched forums for days for an answer and couldn't find one. Found my solution and figured I'd pass it along. had a 2.2 device, but suffered from random shut downs. Went through 2 additional units, and noticed successive lag with each device in general homescreen switching, games, and tried all solutions I could find except rooting/lag fix. With my fresh new device, I went to 2.2 and experienced the lag. My original device had none and many other devices ran fine. Its the sd card. I had an external, since I put it in an external card reader, wiped it out, formatted the card and put it back in the device the phone runs lightning fast. 2.2 should have no lag at all,  this this device doesn't. Give it a shot.

searched forums for days for an answer and couldn't find one. Found my solution and figured I'd pass it along. had a 2.2 device, but suffered from random shut downs. Went through 2 additional units, and noticed successive lag with each device in general homescreen switching, games, and tried all solutions I could find except rooting/lag fix. With my fresh new device, I went to 2.2 and experienced the lag. My original device had none and many other devices ran fine. Its the sd card. I had an external, since I put it in an external card reader, wiped it out, formatted the card and put it back in the device the phone runs lightning fast. 2.2 should have no lag at all,  this this device doesn't. Give it a shot.

***edited labels***

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: found my 2.2 homescreen lag fix

Hi xtracrispy69 and welcome to the community,

Thanks for your input!

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi xtracrispy69,

Thanks for posting your fix on your 2.2 homescreen lag for the community!

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The reason why using an empty SD card smooth the global user experience is because the Gallery app scans the SD card for images to create thumbmails in background.This process can take a lot of CPU resources.

It's not suppose to slow down the user experience in theory but in practice, it often does.

One other way to have a smoother user experience on the homescreen is to use an alternative homescreen ... or Launcher as it's called on Android. Some of them are free, some of them will cost you money. The most famous alternate launchers on the Android Market are ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro. I used ADW Launcher (free) for months and now I'm using ADW Launcher EX  ($3.15) because it's even better.

xtracrispy69
I Plan to Stick Around

on both devices i was using launcher pro and was getting lag on touchwiz or launcher pro. My device runs smooth after the sd format. I know the thumbnails in the gallery are stored on the sd. What I never guessed is that each device will create its on gallery on the same sd card, and one device cannot read the others. Thereby causing lag within the device. There is no need for a captivate lag fix, mine runs very fast. There should be no lag, format your external sd if you have any homescreen lag. No launcher should have lag, even touch wiz.

holz
I've Been Here Awhile

I also hear of people buying the cheapest 16G card available and then complaining about the phone.

I recommended they get the fastest meaning an expensive brand recommended in photography stores and that fixed their problems.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

skunk
I Plan to Stick Around

What if you don't have an external SD? Mine with 2.2 can be very laggy at times.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

maybe too many homescreens?

skunk
I Plan to Stick Around

Just 2 homescreens for me.

I am trying out GO Launcher right now. It seems to be working very well!