encrypted channels on tv tuners

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

encrypted channels on tv tuners

I'm trying to find out if its at all possible to get digital channels from rogers on my pc without the use of a stb. I have a ati hd tv wonder 750 which works like a charm for analog channels but it can't pick up the digital ones as I believe they're encrypted. As I am paying for cable service I feel there should be a way to access them without a stb.

Is there anyway to get these channels without using a stb and an IR blaster? Or is this just another reason I should think about looking elsewhere for tv service? I dropped internet last week for teksavvy and if they offered the same tv service I think I'd do the same.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: encrypted channels on tv tuners

the whole idea of digital cable is so the cable company can give you channels based on what level of service you ask for,, ie a digital Set Top box is MANDATORY. you pay for a channel, and your box picks it up and displays it on your tv

if you wanna watch tv on your computer, just buy a STB and connect it to a hd input of your computer, you might need a hd capture card,  tv tuner cards will not work,  just think about it like a tv set, you connect your STB  to the component or hdmi on your tv, so you gotta do the SAME on your computer, you need a component or HDMI input which is hard to find unless you try the fli markets.

I've Been Here Awhile

a stb is just decrypting the cable signal... There should be a way to use your computer to watch the channels you are paying for. I know you can do this with satelite (a friend of mine does this). And you'd think if rogers wants to help their client base grow they'd jump on this train.

I get that a stb is what's used to register what channels you get, but why in the world wouldnt they have a cable card for a pc? I'm not getting another cable box so I guess If I can't find a good work around I'll just cancel my last rogers service and be done with this horrible company for good Smiley Very Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its software updates and firmware are controlled by the cable company, thats why u need teir box.

I Plan to Stick Around

Most, if not all, of the standard definition channels are unencrypted.  There's no reason why Rogers could not send the basic (i.e. the network stns normally available OTA) HD channels accross unencrypted,  I refuse to obtain an STB for every tv in my house.  I have seriously been considering ditching cable in favour of putting up an antenna.

I Plan to Stick Around

If you don't have an STB, you don't need Rogers' software and firmware updates.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The reason you NEED an STB is simple.  Rogers is in the business to send TV signals digitally to whom ever subscribes to their services.  If you are a customer, you get a STB and order your package, and the signals you order are automatically sent to your TV.  makes perfect senes, no? of course it does, this is how satelight dish works too incase you didnt know.

Oh another thing, for those of you who want to skip the stb and connect directly to a tv and use the built in analog tuner? you wont pick up any clear QAM channels, i checked this last week and nothing comes up.  And lets say you want to add a chinese specialty channel to your package cus your mother-in law is visiting for a month, Rogers has NO WAY of sending the Chinese specialty channel signal to your tv only, UNLESS you have a digital STB to decode it.  This is also how satelight radio works, satelight TV like I said earlier, so whats the problem?  you dont like it? if not, go to the competition, you will see this is standard with them too.

I Plan to Stick Around

TVs purchased today have ATSC (digital) tuners and can pick up clear QAM channels without an STB..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Tuner in your TV is irrelivant if you are subscribing to Cable TV. First of all, there is like only 3 clear channels, the ROD and some music stuff. Secondly, your TV needs to tune into the component or hdmi input, that your STB is connected to.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It.s only irrelevant because Rogers continues to encrypt most all digital channels.  And the tv does not need to tune into the component or hdmi input for unencrypted channels -- just hook the cable up directly to the tv.  One qualification -- the tv requires a built-in cable converter (many brands have this -- I was assuming most did).