email accounts - primary and extra accounts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

email accounts - primary and extra accounts

Today when I went to send an email I noticed there was now a dropdown menu where I had to choose which account to send from, also when I reply I need to choose which account.  The default account is an old yahoo account that has been merged with my rogers email account.  Unfortunately the old yahoo account has been named the primary account and so when sending and replying, the default account is the old yahoo account that I never ever use.

On the email page if i click on settings and go to accounts, there IS an option to set the account I actually have been using for the past decade to be the default account to send and reply with.  Unfortunately it doesn't actually work.  I set the @rogers account to be the default but instead the @yahoo account is set to default.  Nothing I do changes it.

I used live chat to talk to technical support and they said the merged accounts cannot be unmerged, even though I haven't used the @yahoo account for over a decade.  Neither can the @rogers account be made the primary account and the @yahoo made extra account.  They also can't make the @rogers account be the account that rogers email defaults to for sending and replying to email.  So every time I want to email I must double check that I am using the correct account.

Does anyone else have this problem?  If so can you please contact rogers and let them know so that if nothing else they will fix the default account settings in mail.  It would have been nice to be informed about the merged accounts and be offered the choice to refuse to have an old inactive never used account NOT merged....especially as they are now unable to unmerge the accounts. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: email accounts - primary and extra accounts

I am guessing this is in the WEBMAIL? (you didnt specify).

Now i know, they can do SOME moving of email accounts around... i have done so, in the process of moving.

I THINK they can replace/change the PRIMARY one... but may be only if there is no CHILD ones associated with it (which is what your running into).  They replaced our primary one.. but it was with one, that we were then transfering TO our account.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

No they weren't able to do that for  me.  My @rogers email is the one I used all the time.  I had an @yahoo account ages ago and haven't used it in a decade.  For some reason it was merged with my @rogers account and became the primary account and they can't change it for some stupid reason, or delete it or anything. 

Don't know why they did this with no warning to me or asking me if I wanted the @yahoo account merged. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I did see where the setting for default was for in the settings.
At least that would allow for going to the right one by default.

What browser did you try setting the change on? Could be it didn't save the settings in one.
(I know chrome does that for some sites for my wife)

I'm a Regular

Yeah if they would just fix it so you could set the defaults...they have the button there but it doesn't work.

I have tried in Firefox and in IE

edit:   whoaaaaa....wait a sec.  tried again in IE and the settings saved properly so I don't have to use the drop down menu.  So now I am thinking it is indeed FIrefox.  Have posted in Firefox forums to see if this is a known issue or if others are having the same problem....will update when I find out

I'm a Regular

Okay so I figured out where the problem lies...sort of.

If I switch to basic email then Firefox will work properly and default to the correct email address for new emails as well as replying.  Full feature email will cause Firefox to not use the default account chosen.  So Firefox is not ineracting with the full feature email script in some way.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats good to know, incase another user comes here with the same issue.