downtown toronto very slow mobile data speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianf
I've Been Here Awhile

downtown toronto very slow mobile data speeds

I'm using my android nexus 5 to upload and download files for work.  The best speed I can get is 1.70 down/ 0.70 up.

My collegue is on Bell and gets 150 down/50 up.  My connection is LTE, but these slow speeds are horrendous.  I have found that after 5pm my speeds increase to 15 down/10 up.  It looks like congestion is a problem.  Anyone else noticing such slow speeds?

***Edited Labels***

RogersMaude

Re: downtown toronto very slow mobile data speeds

Good evening @brianf,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

I can definitely understand how unpleasant it must be to experience slow speeds.

We definitely want to look into this further -

• Did you run through basic troubleshooting?
  • Is it happening in all areas or a specific one?

The goal is to identify whether the issue is device related or if it could be due to the network at this specific location.

• How long have you been experiencing this particular issue ?

Looking forward to your reply!

Community!?

- Any users from downtown Toronto experiencing the same issues as @brianf described with data transmissions?

Regards,

RogersMaude

brianf
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Maude,

this issue has been ongoing since last November.  I have only been working at one location (25 King Street West).  I have called tech. support and they tested the network but said they do not guarantee data speeds, and suggested I login to the forum to see of others are experiencing the same issue. 

RogersAdam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi 

brianf
I've Been Here Awhile

hi adam,

I'm am only inside on the 17th floor, but close to a window.  those speeds are direct from my device.  when tethered or hotspot to laptop I get virtually the same speed.  I'm not using FTP, but downloading and uploading 150 to 500 mb files.

I just did a speedtest (8:05pm) and it resulted a great speed of 11.74 down, 13.19 up.  Tomorrow at 9am until 6pm I am sure the speeds will be reduced back to 1 down, .5 up.  This is crippling my workflow. 

Would a rocketstick / HUB result in faster speeds?

thanks,

Brian

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you go to another location in Toronto, and that might only be a couple of blocks, does the download / upload rate return to where it should be?

And...do you have a friend or colleague that could run a test for you at your present location, with a Rogers phone that is known to work at its rated download / upload rates?

As Maude indicated, the goal is to eliminate the phone or the network from the problem list.  You indicated that this has been going on since November.  What were the data rates like before November?  Any chance that building has gone up between yourself and the cell tower or that a phone update has occurred causing some unforseen issue with the data rates?