downstream upstream signal strength tech installed amplifier?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

downstream upstream signal strength tech installed amplifier?

Hello,

Issues:
- web pages are slow to respond and/or load slowly
- often part of a page will load but a refresh is required for all parts of the page to render

They started after the following, which happened at the same time. We started experiencing missing channels and blotchy picture so we called tech, internet plan change was coincidental:

- switch Surfboard modem that I purchased to DPC3825 for extra usage. Now on Hybrid plan
- tech came and said signal was low, he did following things:
              - I had two connections from the line to the house, he removed one
              - he replaced the now single line coming to the house
              - he installed an amplifier (5 tv then but there are 3 now and he has been back to remove splitters)
              - he said that there was a problem with the device on the pole a couple of houses before me, which was        why we needed the amplifier. He said that some frequencies were abnormally low while others were fine

Concerns of mine:

- nothing ever happened to fix the device on the pole (is it a large amplifier?)
- a vine from my neighbours backyard is growing on the line coming to the house. it is has reached the junction point where the line leaves the main line and is now growing down the line. My concern is that the junction point could be affected and also that the vine is exerting downward pressure on the line (you can see the line being pushed down). Due to the geograpthy of my backyard I can't reach this area, and I don't know if I want too...
- I have heard bad things about amplifiers
- my signal strength stats on modem page maybe aren't optimal

What I've done:

- DPC3825 is in bridge mode connected to either RT-N66U or R7000. Used wired and wireless connection
- ping router at 192.168.100.1. It gave 0ms but I don't know if it actually worked or not
- DOCSIS log is ok
- install latest drivers for Intel ethernet adapter
- resetting modem and router
- change browser
- check cpu, disk, network usage

Here are my stats from modem:

Downstream Channels 

Power Level:
Channel 1:
-7.6 dBmV
38.2 dB
Channel 2:
-6.6 dBmV
38.6 dB
Channel 3:
-6.8 dBmV
38.6 dB
Channel 4:
-6.9 dBmV
38.3 dB
Channel 5:
-7.4 dBmV
38.3 dB
Channel 6:
-7.3 dBmV
38.2 dB
Channel 7:
-7.6 dBmV
38.2 dB
Channel 8:
-7.6 dBmV
37.9 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1:
47.7 dBmV
Channel 2:
46.0 dBmV
Channel 3:
49.0 dBmV
Channel 4:
0.0 dBmV

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: downstream upstream signal strength tech installed amplifier?

Hi @degen12

We’d like to help with your signal issue for your services. I’m going to have someone reach out to you from CommunityHelps in a Private Message, please check our messages from the envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

@RogersPrasana

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Amplifiers GENERALLY dont get put on internet lines.. i think they have too much of a chance of putting interfearance..

But those are your number.. WITH the amp installed?
Yikes!
They must have been pretty much un unsable before that 😞

I would keep calling in.. EVERY DAY if needed.
Keep scheduling techs out.. (they often will do evenings in more areas, may have to wait longer).
Pretty much, every call, every tech, will waste their money.. untill they realize that they need to escalate it to get the thing down the line fixed.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, agree with Gdkitty.  Call everyday.  Put Rogers on speed dial.  Personally I think that you need more than just a tech.  From the sounds of it you need a maintenance crew to show up and clear off all of the vegetation and other crap growing on the lines and fix the upstream equipment.  If you have a new line installed, there probably isn't too much more that any other tech can do.  I might be wrong here, but if another tech does come by and you still have the same signal levels after the visit, its definitely time to call in maintenance crew.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @degen12

We’d like to help with your signal issue for your services. I’m going to have someone reach out to you from CommunityHelps in a Private Message, please check our messages from the envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

@RogersPrasana

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you to everyone for your input and advice. I have a good idea what to do now. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Were you able to make any progress through @CommunityHelps  ?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @degen12

Haven't heard from you, we’re still here to help with your signal issue.

Let us know! Smiley Happy

@RogersPrasana