contract with my own device

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

contract with my own device

So about a year ago, I signed a 3-year contract with Rogers (before, I was with Telus). I picked out a phone I liked but after a few days, I returned it and got a refund. I then used a phone that I already owned, since the representative said that I could get an upgrade at any time since I was using my own device. However, I went into the Rogers store the other day and they told me that the contract states that I cannot upgrade for another two years. I also had no idea that there was a no-contract deal where you can just use your own device with a lower monthly fee?! Is there any way I can get around this and not have to wait 2 more years for an upgrade?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: contract with my own device

If you returned the device to the store and they accepted it as a valid return (i.e. within the buyers remorse period) then the contract should have automatically been cancelled.

Additionally, even if you were still on a three year contract, the cost to upgrade would only be the balance owing on the phone + $15 Connection fee. So, seeing as you no longer have a device being subsidized by Rogers, because they accepted it as a return, you would only have to pay the $15 early upgrade fee.

If someone at the store is telling you otherwise, call Rogers.

P.S. I should also mention that the cost for breaking a contract when you have no device subsidy, regardless of contract length, is $12.50 for service deactivation.