cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection hiccups in games

rahba
I Plan to Stick Around

Recently "upgraded" from my older docsis2 motorola sb5100, to the hitron docsis3 modem.  I am constantly getting connection hiccups in online games.  The hiccups haven't resulted in full disconnects from the server and usually only last about 5 seconds before I get caught up and am able to play again.  Normally I'd chalk up these little lag spikes as general internet issues but the sb5100 wasn't having these issues, it began the day I got the new modem, and it very consistently happens at least once every 20 minutes or so.  It's been going on for more than a week now, and occurs even during non-peak hours.

I've tried switching the modem to bridge mode and using my own linksys router like I did with the 5100, but the issue persists.

I only made the switch to the new modem because it was part of the deal I made with customer retention for unlimited data usage.  I didn't really care about the speed increases but unfortunately I'm guessing there's no going back now.

What are considered acceptable/good signal levels for this modem?

***edited labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: connection hiccups in games

rahba
I Plan to Stick Around
I should add that this is all with wired connections.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not sure on the line/signal strength numbers... but i belevie the newer D3 ones are a little more sensitive to bad signals.. so that COULD be it.

I was thinking something on wireless while you are on wired could be triggering it.. but if you are wired, and also have done bridged mode.. its not very likely.

MosportMike
I Plan to Stick Around

I am wired as well with this Hitron modem.  For PS3 online gaming, this modem is way worse than the Cisco I traded in. 

Does anyone know if they still carry the Cisco 3825?  I'm thinking of trading this Hitron back.  

Blackstone
I'm Here A Lot

Same thing started happening to me when I moved to the "enchanced" Hitron about 1.5 weeks ago.  I'm on my 2nd Hitron now and same problems - something is happening once an hour that is causing me to lose my connection to the Playstation Network, which then boots me from the game I'm playing.  PS3 is wired to the Hitron as well.

So, last night I ran a guantlet of troubleshooting steps as per Rogers support and after each change the disconnect was still occurring every hour.  I eventually disabled the residential gateway option on the Hitron and put it into bridge mode.  No disconnects in the over 2 hours I stayed up to test.  But, I won't believe it's "fixed" until I have a couple more nights of problem-free connectivity.

I'm curious to know what geographical area the other 2 posters with the similar problem are.  I'm in Oshawa.

I think it can be hit and miss by location.

the HITRON seems to be the most comon one given out now 😞

I would call around, and find out before going to a store to swap.

Now, i think SOME of the plans, like the ULTRA, require the hitron.. but i dont think alot of the others do, etc.. im ON express, with unlimited, with the SMC.

I'm on Express as well, but to get the 80GB of data I was paying for, but not receiving, I had no choice but the Hitron.  I will not pay extra for unlimited data just to get a working modem.  (Our family rarely went over our 60GB limit in a month prior to the Hitron.)

MosportMike
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not getting any dropped connections, I'm just seeing poor quality in online games.   The Cisco 3825 I had was great when wired.  I could kill people with ease in Call of Duty and Battlefield.   With the Hitron I am struggling big time. 

I have my PS3 in DMZ and all ports forwarded, but the quality is still worse than the 3825 when it comes to gaming. 

@Blackstone wrote:

I'm on Express as well, but to get the 80GB of data I was paying for, but not receiving, I had no choice but the Hitron.  I will not pay extra for unlimited data just to get a working modem.  (Our family rarely went over our 60GB limit in a month prior to the Hitron.)

I dont think that is correct. 

Going BACK.. i updated to the smc from a regular modem to go from the 60 to 80g cap.
I am now on the unlimited with the SMC.

The Hitron, unless things have changed, is not NECESSARY for the express, I am an example for it.

I think they are just pushing the Hitron more as their 'main' modem.. but i dont think its necessary.  I would look around to see if the CISCO or SMC are available.

Just checked the website, for express.  If you go in the sort of bottomish right corner of the page where it shows the express, there is the "which hardware option is right for you" sort of link with the pictures of two routers.

Lite gives you option of the SMC OLD, current SMC, and hitron.

Express to extreeme plus show smc and hitron

Ultra shows only hitron.

The Cisco doesnt seen to be on there anymore... they may be phasing them out 😞
But the SMC, SHOULD work on most of the plans there.. i am using that one without issues, at least where i geographicaly am.
I would call around and find out if any of the shops DO have this one, and at least try exchanging for it.

I can only tell you that when I called support last year when the Express limit was 70GB they advised I would have to upgrade my modem for an extra fee each month.  I declined at the time.  When the Express limit hit 80GB, I finally gave in and the only option available to me was the Hitron.

Since running into the problems with the Hitron, I was advised by a retail employee that I could potentially move back to an older modem, but that they haven't had any of that modem since April 2012.  AND, I would lose the 80GB.

I will speak to Customer Relations at some point and see if I can an accurate picture of what my options are.  However, if I'm not satisfied, I believe a move to another ISP will be on my horizon.  I'm not going to beat my head repeatedly on the Rogers support wall for much longer.  Eventually, I will speak with my wallet.

MosportMike
I Plan to Stick Around

I just called every store in Brampton, Ont and they are only carrying the Hitron now.   One store did mention that they may receive more SMC modems next month.    Sounds like I'm stuck with this Hitron POS. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello MosportMike

Yea they are trying to sell the Hitron instead of the other one. I heard from a few Rogers stores that Rogers is sending out emails to stop selling the D3 modem & ONLY have the Hitron one

Yeah.. that seems to be the general consensus Meowmix 😞

Mosoportmike,

While it may require a bit more of travel, etc.. MIGHT be worth calling around to more stores, slightly farther away, etc.. and see if ANYONE  has one.. worth the travel to try picking it up.

rahba
I Plan to Stick Around

Welp, I'm in Brampton too.  My hope is that this is a firmware issue that'll eventually get resolved.  I've tried de-prioritizing any traffic that wasn't from the game via tomato's QoS stuff just to make sure there wasn't anything else getting in the way.  Still get the periodic hitches, unfortunately.

An update for anyone interested...

Technician was dispatched.  Early Saturday morning he confirmed it's not a signal or line issue.  He supplied me with my 3rd Hitron after confirming I was not eligible for a SMC or Cisco modem.

This 3rd Hitron was same as the others, disconnecting for a few seconds every hour.  I again bridged the Hitron by disabling the "Residential Gateway" feature within said Hitron.  Again, disconnects disappeared.

I called Rogers tech support - again.  They gave up, recommended I leave the Hitron in bridged mode and passed me to customer support (?).

Customer support confirmed the Hitron is the only way I could get the 80GB / month I already pay for.  After some discussion, and an internal call between the support rep whom I was speaking and customer relations, they offered me the Hitron rent-free for the year.  I advised this is acceptable for now, but we will have to address the problem again should it continue to persist in 12 months time.  It was subtlely suggested that they may have another hardware option within that time frame.

So, I have found a satisfactory work-around to the problem at present.  But, the root cause of the problem is still a mystery.  It would be easy to blame the Hitron, but why do certain areas with the same model Hitron apparently have no issues.  I personally believe it's a 'headend' issue resulting from a threshold being reached with respect to customers on any given line.  I concede I have no way to back up this belief.

Best of luck to those that encounter this problem going forward.  Regards.

I do agree.. while the problem seems more PRELIVENT on hitron owners.. its is something on their end.. that is ultimately causing it to do so.. like an overselling issue, etc.

I am still not sure, how you are 'not eligible'... unless its part of the 'deal' you have or something... it could just be, they are not handing the SMC out anymore period, unless they are already sort of out there 😞

So in other words.. im holding on mine for DEAR LIFE!

Not that is necessarily helps.. but i DID see 3 of the SMC ones, at the Rogers Wireless store in the Cookstown Outlet mall in Inisfil yesterday 😛

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation