connecting cable box to LCD monitor - resolution problem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

connecting cable box to LCD monitor - resolution problem?

hi all,

for the past year and a half, i've used a Samsung LCD monitor with a HDCP-compliant DVI input to watch TV from my cable box via an DVI-to-HDMI cable. it worked very well. i would get a 'not optimum mode' warning from my monitor, but i'd simply click 'ok' and proceed to watch TV.

it has worked fine until approx. half a year ago. i believe it was right around the time that the new menu system was introduced....

it seems that the resolution of my monitor (1680x1050) is no longer compatible with the signal being sent from the cable box. i get no picture, only the "not optimum mode" warning label.

i have also tried plugging the cable box into my projector, which supports 720p, and the screen is all mangled with half of the image being doubled... again, this projector used to work perfectly with my cable box. and now it longer works. i have tested the DVI-to-HDMI cables on other devices and they work fine. i have also tested the monitor with my DVD player and laptop, and it works fine. i also played around with the resolution settings within the menu system (720p, 1080p, etc.) and that didn't help.

i have contacted rogers about this, and they offered no solution, other than to buy a proper TV. lazy!! i can't imagine that both my projector and monitor have suddenly become obsolete - this must be something to do with the new menu system, yes?

thoughts?

thanks

wayne

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: connecting cable box to LCD monitor - no longer works with new menu system?

It may be a be a mix, between the new menu setting, and your screens.

My first thing, i would have thought was the resolution.. but you say you have played with that.

Everything seems to work for me, on my non 'standard' setup.

I have my box set to 1080i output.. into my AVR.. then out of there into my TV, at 1080.. but when i want to use the projector (which is 720p only).. i just plug it in.. and it displays fine (even though im outputing at 1080).. but the AVR may have something to do with that though? (scaling it down since it detects the lower res on the projector)

On 720, you should be FINE at min on that monitor, etc. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It may be a be a mix, between the new menu setting, and your screens.

My first thing, i would have thought was the resolution.. but you say you have played with that.

Everything seems to work for me, on my non 'standard' setup.

I have my box set to 1080i output.. into my AVR.. then out of there into my TV, at 1080.. but when i want to use the projector (which is 720p only).. i just plug it in.. and it displays fine (even though im outputing at 1080).. but the AVR may have something to do with that though? (scaling it down since it detects the lower res on the projector)

On 720, you should be FINE at min on that monitor, etc. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks - I'll double check the resolution settings on the menu, and make sure I'm on 720.

I just seems odd that it suddenly stopped working one day. I didn't bother to do anything about it for quite a while, and then when I finally did the test it on my projector and saw that there was a new menu system, I started to suspect that it was perhaps not a coincidence!

I should also mention that the cable box works fine on my very old TV and the projector when using the component connection. It's only the HD connection that now causes problems on both devices.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On a coax or composite (1 rca video) connection.. yeah it would likely work fine.. as its not outputing in the same resolutions then.

Your projector has the composite in though? (the 3 RCA cable input)... and it works fine? It shows in 720/1080? (see if there is a info display thing on it to see what its getting).

If thats the case.. sounds like it COULD possibly be box related.. the HD processor for the HDMI is maybe gone?

Tried that box on another TV?