connected to internet... BUT cannot ping out?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baffledalot
I Plan to Stick Around

connected to internet... BUT cannot ping out?

To all of you out there... I have an infuriating problem!

Recently..last night.. I had the situation that I was connected to the internet but could not ping out?

my computer or computers said that I was connected to the internet (via the Network and sharing centre)  but neither any browser or my pinging program could access the internet.

The error given was that the host could not be resolved!

using a CGN2.. I usually have it in bridged mode  but when this happens i remove my router and connect directly to it via ethernet.

Anyone have any ideas?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: connected to internet... BUT cannot ping out?

Looks like you have a problem with the external cable or connectors. Your downstream power levels are all down, the target level is 0 dBmV, but the signal to noise ratios are good.  The low power levels can still work, but you have problems on the upstream side.  The normal signal levels leaving the modem are in the range of 36 to 40 dBmV.  Yours are at the upper limit for three channel operation, and, three upstream channels are the usual mode of operation.  So, as the external cable or connectors degrade over time, the downstream signal levels drop and the upstream levels leaving the modem increase in order to communicate with the Cable Modem Termination System.  The limits at the modem are + / - 15 dBmV (ideally 0 dBmV) on the downstream and 51 dBmV (ideally 36 to 40 dBmV) on the upstream with three channels in operation.

So, you need to have a chat with tech support with the aim of getting a tech out to your home to check out the cabling.  Do you run the RG-6 cable through the surge suppressor at all?  If so, please disconnect the cable from the surge supressor and run it directly from the wallplate to the modem.  If you have a surge suppressor in the system, or anything else that is causing the issue, then the problem may be deemed as customer equipment related and you end up paying the cost of the tech visit.  If you do use a power bar to power all of your equipment, you should disconnect it completely for test purposes and run everything off the wall plug in or from an extension cord or two.  The power bars can generate RF noise which can penetrate the RG-6 and ethernet cabling and cause major havoc with both cables. 

If your cable installation is in place as it was installed originally, there will not be any cost for the tech visit.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hava a look at this.  Navigate to Control Panel....Network and Sharing Center.....Change Adapter Settings (left side selection)....Network Adapter (right click and select properties).  That brings up the Network Properties panel.  Scroll down and select Internet Protocal Version 4(TCP/IPv4).  Then select the lower Properties selection to bring up the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) Properties panel. 

On that panel have a look at the DNS server selection.  It will either be on Auto or on a selected DNS address.  If it is selected for Auto you will be using the Rogers DNS service.  Just to note there have been complaints in the past regarding its performance although I haven't seen any comments on it recently.  If it is a selected address, confirm that the address is in fact valid.  You could set Google for the DNS if you wanted to: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, or Open DNS:  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Once set, hit OK and then back out of the panels and reboot the pc or laptop. 

Let us know if that does anything to help.

baffledalot
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you!  I did this and it was set to TCP/IPv4.. and it was using defined DNS servers  74.122.198.48 and alt 50.116.23.211... hmmm.. how do I check to see if these are OK?

baffledalot
I Plan to Stick Around

OK  used DNS Benchmark and selected different servers... will try google 8.8.8.8  and another from the list.

Thanks again... will see if this will solve the problem

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While you're in there mucking around with the Network Properties panel, you could deselect IPV6 while you are passing thru that panel.  It doesn't work on the Rogers network properly, so there isn't t much point in having it selected and running.  In some cases that does solve some problems as well.

baffledalot
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks... it is UNchecked...   I am using 8.8.8.8  but it seems slow... is there any way to know which of the 2 DNS servers in currently active?   I can go to ipconfig  but it only lists the servers.. not which is active... it seems that one of the servers that I had previously listed was listed as not responding using DNS benckmark.. so I assume that it is automatically going to the alt one.. but how do I know for sure?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

try this:  open a command prompt and type in     nslookup

I still have to see if there are additional commands that can by used with nslookup to see both dns addressses.

The help command should be   nslookup/?

Edit;  if you want to flush the dns cache, run the command    ipconfig /flushdns

Just for the heck of it, when you have time, can you reset the modem back to Gateway mode, login, copy the DOCSIS WAN Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  I'd like to see the signal levels and signal to noise ratios to make sure they are ok.

baffledalot
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi DataLink

Finally had some time to do this

Port                                          1               2                3                4               5                6                7                 8
Frequency (MHz)          591.000    597.000     603.000     609.000     615.000     621.000     633.000      639.000
Modulation                  256 QAM  256 QAM   256 QAM  256 QAM   256 QAM   256 QAM   256 QAM   256 QAM
Signal power (dBmV)         -5.52         -5.93          -5.78         -6.05          -6.01          -6.45          -6.54          -6.50
Signal noise ratio (dB)     37.092      36.844       36.844       36.844       37.092       37.092       36.844        36.844
Channel ID                               1                2                3                4               5                 6                7                 8
Upstream
Port                                                           1               2                 3                4
Frequency (Hz)                           38596000 30596000   23700000
Bandwidth (kbps/KHz)                  3200000   6400000     6400000
ModulationType                              ATDMA    ATDMA       ATDMA
Signal power (dBmV)                      51.0000   51.0000      49.0000
Channel ID                                                 1              2                 3

I have looked at a few other readings... and note that the signal power is the only thing that varies... it is always negative.  -3 and -2 at other times.

any help would be appreciated.  thanks in advance

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like you have a problem with the external cable or connectors. Your downstream power levels are all down, the target level is 0 dBmV, but the signal to noise ratios are good.  The low power levels can still work, but you have problems on the upstream side.  The normal signal levels leaving the modem are in the range of 36 to 40 dBmV.  Yours are at the upper limit for three channel operation, and, three upstream channels are the usual mode of operation.  So, as the external cable or connectors degrade over time, the downstream signal levels drop and the upstream levels leaving the modem increase in order to communicate with the Cable Modem Termination System.  The limits at the modem are + / - 15 dBmV (ideally 0 dBmV) on the downstream and 51 dBmV (ideally 36 to 40 dBmV) on the upstream with three channels in operation.

So, you need to have a chat with tech support with the aim of getting a tech out to your home to check out the cabling.  Do you run the RG-6 cable through the surge suppressor at all?  If so, please disconnect the cable from the surge supressor and run it directly from the wallplate to the modem.  If you have a surge suppressor in the system, or anything else that is causing the issue, then the problem may be deemed as customer equipment related and you end up paying the cost of the tech visit.  If you do use a power bar to power all of your equipment, you should disconnect it completely for test purposes and run everything off the wall plug in or from an extension cord or two.  The power bars can generate RF noise which can penetrate the RG-6 and ethernet cabling and cause major havoc with both cables. 

If your cable installation is in place as it was installed originally, there will not be any cost for the tech visit.

View solution in original post